Thread: Shulin Lake airstrip - private or not

Default Shulin Lake airstrip - private or not

I noticed that the Shulin Lake airstrip shows it is marked as private on google earth by the two white X marks on it. Looking at the Mat-sue parcel viewer online it looks to me like the airstrip may be on public land. Anyone know for certain?

I landed at another airstrip yesterday on State land and had a local tell me it was "a private deal here..." when I told him it was on State land and that I had looked it up on the Parcel viewer he backed off and said.."well it's private guys that maintain this strip... and you're right, its on state land..." I wasn't sure if this was the same deal with the Shulin Lake strip.

Thanks

[QUOTE=AK flyster;1508427]I noticed that the Shulin Lake airstrip shows it is marked as private on google earth by the two white X marks on it. Looking at the Mat-sue parcel viewer online it looks to me like the airstrip may be on public land. Anyone know for certain?

I landed at another airstrip yesterday on State land and had a local tell me it was "a private deal here..." when I told him it was on State land and that I had looked it up on the Parcel viewer he backed off and said.."well it's private guys that maintain this strip... and you're right, its on state land..." I wasn't sure if this was the same deal with the Shulin Lake strip.

Saw you yesterday here at Alexander! Out cutting wood and seen you checking it out! Come back and I'll greet you with a smile and some coffee!

I like when some one says it is private guys that maintain the strip. So? It's your choice to maintain it. No one twists your arm to do it! I maintain the sand bar in front of our house so my neighbors can land there and it makes it easier on them......... Doesn't mean I own it or have any business telling others who can use it! Although a bottle of Rum for my efforts would be greatly appreciated!

Myproperty says its state land, dnr mapper is saying its state land too. Its not a private parcel, and my friends have been landing there for years with no issue. There might be a lease though there for that drilling program that was going on for diamonds. But the lease would only be for minerals and a mill site. The area does have mining claims but again those are just minerals not surface rights to anything. Even improvements unless it is withing the active mine site, which it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Myproperty says its state land, dnr mapper is saying its state land too. Its not a private parcel, and my friends have been landing there for years with no issue. There might be a lease though there for that drilling program that was going on for diamonds. But the lease would only be for minerals and a mill site. The area does have mining claims but again those are just minerals not surface rights to anything. Even improvements unless it is withing the active mine site, which it isn't.
    ​A very good response !!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    I noticed that the Shulin Lake airstrip shows it is marked as private on google earth by the two white X marks on it. Looking at the Mat-sue parcel viewer online it looks to me like the airstrip may be on public land. Anyone know for certain?

Thanks
    Just an FYI, X marks mean a closed runway - for everyone (7L at ANC right now). Though I'm aware people in Alaska like to use it as a signal that a strip is private.
    There really should be something different.

I always was told the x meant closed due to hazards or danger, or is a private strip. We don't have our private strip with x's because its fine to land on...

Yellow X's Caution white X's private... not necessarily meaning closed...

In the AIM- white X = RWY is closed said nothing about pvt.. Ref.to structural or hazards and not being safe , but that's it. I beleive there are laws in AK about closing a RWY that they don't have the right to.

I think the Shulin Lake strip is on Mat-Su Borough land, and designated a public use strip. I bet a call to the Borough would confirm it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The white X is put there to try and limit one's liability if someone lands and wrecks. It is a closed strip so you landed at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    In the AIM- white X = RWY is closed said nothing about pvt.. Ref.to structural or hazards and not being safe , but that's it. I beleive there are laws in AK about closing a RWY that they don't have the right to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure about standard practice for off airport strips, but here's the AC for airport markings:
    http://www.faa.gov/airports/resource...ber/150_5340-1

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    The white X is put there to try and limit one's liability if someone lands and wrecks. It is a closed strip so you landed at your own risk.
    You always land at your own risk. Landing at an airport with an X can get you a violation. It only means closed.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    How does marking a public strip as closed, while having no authority to do so, limit ones liability?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Many factors. If I recall that strip was actually built for mining purposes. So the mine company has no surface rights but has permission to build an airstrip on public land. The mining company does however maintain the airstrip. So with all the fancy lawyers out there if someone were to have an accident on the airstrip they could try to place blame on the people who maintain the runway for various reasons. (Placing blame = $$$ in civil court) So by placing the white "X" at either end of the strip the mining company is trying to provide one more layer of liability protection. "Why did you land and wreck? It is obviously a closed strip."