Thread: Screenwriter doing research: looking to talk to guides or experienced Alaska hunters!

Smile Screenwriter doing research: looking to talk to guides or experienced Alaska hunters!

Hey everyone!

I'm a CA native, NYC resident filmmaker. I've been working on a script for the past few years and have decided to shift it heavily towards an Alaskan big-game guided hunt. I think a float hunt but I'm not sure yet.

I'm not a hunter, so I really know nothing aside from what I can read on the internet. I have a bit of outdoor experience - I'm an Eagle Scout. I'm looking to chat with some folks who live and breathe this stuff. Folks like you!

If anyone would be interested in willing to chat on the phone with me for a half hour or so, share some stories, maybe even some close calls (my story involves a hunt gone awry, survival becomes questionable) - I would greatly appreciate it! I'm just collecting material and generating ideas so I'm casting a wide net.

So feel free to just reply here or email me or message me if this sounds interesting.

Thanks all!
    Alex

That describes a lot of the hours every hunting season, the "professionals" skill is to resolve the problem, without the hunter/client even knowing there was a problem.

Unless you want your project to end up looking like a spoof or a joke, you are going to need a hell of a lot more than a few half hour conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkmad View Post
    (my story involves a hunt gone awry, survival becomes questionable) Alex

Ewww disgusting! It Smells like **** in here!
    Hey everyone!

I'm a CA native, NYC resident filmmaker. I've been working on a script

I'm not a hunter
    Alex

Release Lake Trout

Hi Alex....in my humble opinion, good writing requires many things, but authenticity and sincerity are at the top of the list. We Alaskans (and we hunters) have suffered cruelly at the hands of Hollywood, and we are sick of it. Stick to what you know, bud, don't be a hack....bye bye.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That describes a lot of the hours every hunting season, the "professionals" skill is to resolve the problem, without the hunter/client even knowing there was a problem.

Unless you want your project to end up looking like a spoof or a joke, you are going to need a hell of a lot more than a few half hour conversations.
    About 12 years ago I ran out of beer on a fly-in caribou hunt. Does that disastrous enough?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Hahaha I just spit bourbon out of my nose!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You should just call the guys that do "Alaska Monsters". Obvious professionals, plenty of close call stories, and it's as real as it gets!

Good luck getting helpful or non sarcastic responses on the public boards here. I remember the poor paranormal investigator lady who posted on here asking for info about Arctic Sasquatches and other such stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

A gentleman named Michael Strahan who authored the book "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" would be a logical place to start. He can be contacted through this site or linked in or through a google search.

There are lots of guides in Alaska. Like any other profession, some are really good and some are...well...you get the picture.

Seems like you would be best served to just hire a guide. Given that this is a business venture for you, I'm sure you are not asking for a free donation of the guide's time and knowledge.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I've been working on a script for the past few years and have decided to shift it heavily towards an Alaskan big-game guided hunt. I think a float hunt but I'm not sure yet.

(my story involves a hunt gone awry, survival becomes questionable)
    For a guided hunt the typical scenario where "survival becomes questionable" would be a member of the party gets shot, or cuts their femoral artery, or falls off a cliff sheep hunting. In today's world of sat phones and airplane support your story would involve a few minutes of pain followed by a few hours or a couple days waiting for the helicopter to show up. Mind numbly boring to watch.

How about a story about a guide's career gone awry? google Darren Byler.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    For a guided hunt the typical scenario where "survival becomes questionable" would be a member of the party gets shot, or cuts their femoral artery, or falls off a cliff sheep hunting. In today's world of sat phones and airplane support your story would involve a few minutes of pain followed by a few hours or a couple days waiting for the helicopter to show up. Mind numbly boring to watch.

How about a story about a guide's career gone awry? google Darren Byler.
    How about a story about a couple drunk Alaskan good ol' boys who manage to become consultants to a dumb Hollywood producer who wants to make another retarded Alaskan reality show. It begins as an elaborate prank to see what kind of ridiculous stuff people will believe about Alaska but then it gets out of control and they have to decide whether to come clean or let the show go forward so they try to get the producer killed by encouraging him to do everything the most dangerous/stupid way possible. I'd watch that.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Seems to me like it would be wise to try and steer the fellow in the right direction as opposed to letting him put things together with the Hollywood/NYC spin.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    Seems to me like it would be wise to try and steer the fellow in the right direction as opposed to letting him put things together with the Hollywood/NYC spin.
    I agree, the guy needs to be steered in the right direction...and that direction is SSE at a range of about 4000 miles.

Since Alex has not responded I'm doubtful of his intent. However I always prefer to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Here's my take.

Alex, if you are trying to cash in on the current spate of Alaska reality shows with their scripted emergencies and unreal portrayal of Alaska, I doubt you'll find much help. Most of us are pretty well fed up with the Alaska "realty" shows. As was mentioned you've already thrown up three red flags with CA, NYC and not a hunter.

However, if your desire is sincere to document Alaskan adventure in a fair and objective manner then I would suggest you come to Alaska and invest yourself in those people who are willing to share their stories. One half hour phone call cannot provide enough information or flavor to adequately develop a story.

I would venture to post that you come here to Alaska and have such an experience. Youd really get the inside and feel, and probably relate your planned story with much more detail and trueness.

Nothing beats actually experience, unless it actually kill a body ~~LOL!!~~ and thats gonna happen someday, anyways, to everybody's....Live it up while you can

Come to Alaska.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....