Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki 300hp

Default Suzuki 300hp

I'm considering re-powering Skookum with a Suzuki 300hp and putting a second helm on my back deck starboard side cabin wall. Skookum is a 27-foot Bayweld that weighs about 6000 pounds. With my single Honda 225 hp my optimum cruising speed is about 24mph and I consume about 15 gph, or get around 1.8 miles per gallon.

I know that you owners I'm asking for responses have your own variables that are particular to your boats and situation. Just answer the best you can. My questions to knowledgeable Suzuki owners are:

• Reliability, any issues?
    • Fuel consumption and economy at cruising speed
    • Cost for second helm
    • Any other details you think may help

I did try searching the forums for boaters' experience with the Suzuki's but have no luck using the search function on the forum. Thanks for your help in advance...jim

_JEL6590.JPG

I can't speak to the Suzuki, but I recently re-powered my 24' Seasport Explorer (similar weight) with 300hp Yamaha Offshore. With 2' seas, 4-5 adults, and 120 gallons gas, my average cruise at 4100 RPM is 28-30mph, 2.2-2.5 MPG, 10-13 GPH (going off memory).

Hope this helps!

Cliffhanger- I had a Suzuki 250 on a 26 ft weighed in at 6500lbs. At 4400 rpm I could cruise at 30 to 32 mph burning 10-11 gph. As for reliability, I had no issues at all. I ran it for 8 years. I was very pleased with the Suzuki and am sure I will purchase another at some point.
    Good luck!

I've got twin Suzuki 300's on my 34' x 10' ACB.
    I'm getting just under 1mpg at all cruising speeds.
    She's heavy 14k-15k with full finished galley, Aft Station and Genset.
    With only 100 hours on the 2008 motors I brought her up the inside passage, the port lower unit burned up in Craig and I ended up replacing it, about 150 hours later the shift control sensor needed replaced on the same motor, not sure if the problems were related. Got that done and hoping the bad lucks over with, It sounds like they may have had a problem with that year as the reverse bearing that burned up was updated to a double roller bearing on the replacement.
    I had my aft station installed in Washington prior to the trip along with a small crane for the skiff and a genset. The lost deck space is well worth it imo.
    Talk to Trevin at Honda that works on them and has one on his own boat, they have my lower unit that they will rebuild for a spare.
    Eric at Bayweld should be able to give you some good advice on the Suzuki along with cost and added weight of the aft station also.
    See lots of them in the Harbor and all the owners I've talked to have had much better luck than I have.
    Good luck on the upgrades.
    Redleader standing by

My experience has been with the 150/175 HP Suzuki's & they are bulletproof. I believe that the big blocks were a problem pre 2008 or 2009, but Suzuki supposedly has fixed the problems. George @ Anchorage Suzuki Yamaha would be able to tell you a lot more about the big blocks & if Dan in Alaska is still on the forum, he can tell you about the problems he had with them. Seems to me that his were 2007 or 2008 models & he had a thread going about them at one time. Stupid question, but do you have a Suzuki mechanic in Homer or would you have to take them somewhere else for warranty work?
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

My brother and I repowered our 24XL Seasport this winter. Took out the carbureted 454 inboard and put on a 300 Suzuki. Top speed went from 38knts. to 40knts. Cruising at 30knts we burn 13.5 gph. I think that comes out close to 2.5mpg. I havent bothered with the math because the thing burns so much less fuel than the inboard I don't even care. Can cruise up to 36-38knts. still burning under 2 gallons per nautical mile,(not U.S. miles). The motor is **** near silent, maintenance has been a breeze, and we got a 6 year warranty on that baby! Figure we dropped 500lbs. off the boat. Love that thing, 250hrs this summer and the boat is sitting in the Homer harbor ready to catch more kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliffhanger: I have two 2007 DF-300s on my 34 X 10 EagleCraft. The boat is heavy as she weighs about 15K when loaded on the water. We normally cruise at 28 - 32 MPH and get 1.25 - 1.3 MPG. I have seen 50 MPH on a calm day when she was light - but we normally stay below 35 MPH. No need to go fast but she will if needed.

In seven full seasons on the water the only problem I have had is the starboard shift actuator failed, remember the DF-300 is electronic shift and throttle, and it was replaced under warranty.

I absolutely love the DF-300s, smooth, quite, powerful and no problems. I do not have an aft helm.

Don't forget that the new DF-300APs have a redesigned, stronger lower unit and use "Lean Burn" technology which reportedly results in better fuel economy.

Would I purchase DF-300s again - ABSOLUTLY!

We have a 26' Boulton Explorer with a Suzuki 300 that is quiet, powerful, and fuel efficient. We average about 8-10 gph with the boat with gear weighing in at about 6000 lbs. It's a great motor!

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the replies and great info! I'm checking with some other owners down here and I trust the guys at All Seasons Honda here. =I have had nothing but great customer service with John's crew. Just wanted some "outside" (of Homer) opinions.

I have to wait until next fall to change out engine. I hit a reef in early June (first major accident in 30+ years of boating), and John at Honda grabbed a lower unit off a brand new 225hp and got me back out on the water in 24 hours. I was so relieved as it was going to be busy week chartering. So, only a $4000 mistake (Bay Weld had to put a new plate on the transom where the upper engine bolts got pushed in), and needed a new shift control at the same time. My wife and I agree we need to get at least one more season out of the "rebuilt" engine.

Now I should be good for another 30K+ years on the water! Thanks again, Jim

Hey Cliffhanger, I purchased a brand new 2015 Thunder Jet Alexis 23' boat with the Suzuki DF300AP motor earlier this year. I have put 30 hours on it and I can say that I'm very satisfied with it's performance and how she runs. Upon buying the boat as a package I didn't really have a choice for which motor I wanted, but I will say that I'm overall happy with the Suzuki. Upon me towing the boat back from Seattle I stopped in at the dealership in Soldotna and they told me that I should switch out the thermostats for the colder water ones. The water here in Alaska is colder than the lower 48 states and therefore they won't run as warm which could make the motor run rougher cause it's not burning the carbon thats being built up. So I replaced mine with 71 degree thermostats the ones that came with the motor were 51 degrees. Upon comparing the other brands the Suzuki is not as wide and is lighter. It has the fly by wire control, no cables, a trolling option that can be used if you wish to troll with it. I purchased a Suzuki 9.9 kicker motor for trolling and a back up. with the prop that came with the top rpm's is 5800 and that with just me my dog and some fishing gear and a full 110gl tank The top speed I've had it at is 50mph in Tutka Bay when is was flat calm. I usually run it around 4000-4500 and my speed is around 35ish. I've gone from the Homer harbor to Pt Pogi to Bluff Point and fished using the kicker for 5 hours then back to the harbor and burned 26 gallons.
    Suzuki requires you to change the engine oil and lower unit oil at 20 hours there is a break in process you should go by that is in the owners manual. I have my boat winterized now with 10 hours on the new oil. I winterized the fuel and pulled the batteries. I also had Nomars make me some covers for the motors.
    I know your boat is bigger and heavier and I'm sure you will get different numbers but I know Eric at Bayweld has put many Suzukis on the new boats they have built so that says something. You mentioned John at All Seasons and Travis and I agree that they offer great service and knowledge. There's also a couple of warehouse parts places that I've gotten parts from that are good to use. Either way if you go with the Suzuki for your boat I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I'd go with Mercury 300 verado. My top speed is 44knot and cruise speed at 26/27 at 4400rpm.
    Plus you no one can touch the price of Mercury not to add how nice dts controls are.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

No year round Mercury service here in Homer for us that keep em in the water otherwise I too would've taken a hard look at Mercury's twin 115's with the optional lower units.
    Also Jim it'd be a good idea to get rid of the Honda prior to thrust bearing issues. Heard their brand new motors all have been redesigned but Honda won't stand behind this issue (see the thread on that).
    Last edited by Big Jim; 11-02-2015 at 12:37. Reason: Added info
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post

What kind of work did you have to do to hang it on the back of the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    What kind of work did you have to do to hang it on the back of the boat?
    Brother and I pulled the i/o and outdrive. Did the glasswork to the hull and made a new hatch cover where the engine cover was. Painted the deck, reconfigured the instrument panel, and then refinished the second steering station. Hung the outboard bracket from Pooderbuilt. Anchorage Suzuki hung the 300 and put the controls in for us. Can't stop smiling.

I had a 2400 SS with the I/O. Too many moving parts for me and just too much to maintain. It only had 300 hours on it when I sold it but if I could have found one with an outboard I would still have that boat. They are just such solid boats and the workmanship is first rate. You could probably turn that area where the I/O came out of into a third berth if you wanted to.... But I love my 26'PC with the 300 yami...
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I love this boat. The engine hatch is huge. I even think a 30 fuel bladder is a good investment. The boat is about 500lbs lighter since the conversion and she's bow heavy now. A bladder would help her run flat and give her about over 300 mile range

Does she actually run bow heavy? It looks pretty good just sitting there as I walk by it almost daily. Very clean!
    I'm not trying to insult you in any way but I'm surprised at how many run their boats with motors trimmed all the way down. You've likely experimented with motor trim and props?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Default Suzuki 300hp

Thanks Jim! She has half tanks full now and sits nose down compared to before the repower. Maybe 2-3 inches higher in the stern even when full of fuel. She's a little quicker on the roll than before I think too. When I've carried extra fuel in the middle hatch I can't trim the outboard enough for best fuel burn. I plan on putting extra fuel in the stern hatch next time to see how she will run. Longer runs from Whittier to South end of Montague can easily be done without extra fuel. But any weather and calculations change quick.

Our first prop choice got us right where we are supposed to be. Feel really good about the prop. Best fuel burn at about 50% trim. Best speed and top RPM at 100% trim. 40knts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast