Thread: Motor for Inflatable Raft

Default Motor for Inflatable Raft

I recently purchased a mercury inflatable raft from Reeds here in Fairbanks. Its rated for a 20hp, but everything I've seen has been extremely heavy. I had an opportunity to get a Honda 25, 4 stroke, but passed due to size and weight. Currently looking around for a 2 stroke, but those seems hard and hard to find. Anyone have any thoughts on a motor for the person who just wants to run the chena, delta clearwater and possibly Valdez? I just want to take the kid out fishing next year. Don't see more than 2 adults and a small 8 year old at any given time.

I've got a 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke that's less than 100lbs, on my 10'6" rib it will get on step with 3 adults.
    Redleader standing by

Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    I recently purchased a mercury inflatable raft from Reeds here in Fairbanks. Its rated for a 20hp, but everything I've seen has been extremely heavy. I had an opportunity to get a Honda 25, 4 stroke, but passed due to size and weight. Currently looking around for a 2 stroke, but those seems hard and hard to find. Anyone have any thoughts on a motor for the person who just wants to run the chena, delta clearwater and possibly Valdez? I just want to take the kid out fishing next year. Don't see more than 2 adults and a small 8 year old at any given time.
    I am running a 25 hp 2 stroke tohatsu on my 13'6" achilles. I'd like to run a little smaller, but I am afraid that when loaded down the 7.5 I currently own won't get it up on step.
    That tohatsu is a heavy beast. Feels like it weighs twice as much as the older mercury 25 hp I have as well, but runs a lot better (almost brand new).

Thanks. I am reading up on them and they seem nice. Which model did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    Thanks. I am reading up on them and they seem nice. Which model did you buy?
    I'm not positive on the model. It was an older model that I bought third hand (I think...lol).
    The guy I bought it from was a nurse that left the town. He bought it from one of the doctors who may have been the original owner. I do know that the foot pump I finally got that came with it seems to make it an older version. Mine does have a small leak in it somewhere and I hope to find it this week before I put it away for the winter. It has a 1795 lb capacity and rated for a 35 hp motor. Wood floor and wood transom. Pretty sweet set up, but I am wanting a larger boat. This one will be my moose hunting platform I believe.

I have been researching the suzuki and really like it, but still gathering information. Is your motor manual or electric start?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I am running a 25 hp 2 stroke tohatsu on my 13'6" achilles. I'd like to run a little smaller, but I am afraid that when loaded down the 7.5 I currently own won't get it up on step.
    That tohatsu is a heavy beast. Feels like it weighs twice as much as the older mercury 25 hp I have as well, but runs a lot better (almost brand new).
    I can confirm the weight on a 4 stroke tohatsu 20hp. It's light enough at about 120lbs to carry a short distance but you do not want to carry that thing very far, trust me. I have it paired with a 12 ft Saturn inflatable and It's more than enough power to get on step

Default 20HP honda on 14'9" 450AR Alaskan Series Alaskan Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    I've got a 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke that's less than 100lbs, on my 10'6" rib it will get on step with 3 adults.
    I use a 100 pound 20HP Honda on my 450AR for both dip netting and Halibut fishing, My 20HP Honda will get 3 adults and 35 red salmon right up on step and will push 3 adults and 60 reds up the Kenai. I've GPS it at 22MPH with 3 adults empty.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.

WWW.alaskaseries.com (907) 248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go with the max rated hp, and for the money and weight the 20 hp, 4 stroke, short shaft manual start, tiller Suzuki is the way to go. Weighs 97lbs. I used to have a 14' JP Marine inflatable with a 20 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and loaded I could do 17 mph. It was rated for 40 hp and I wished I'd have gotten a 40 hp. So that's where my comments on maxing out your rated hp comes from.

I appreciate everyones responses. I have decided to go with the suzuki for my small inflatable. No I'm trying to decide between the manual or electric start. I guess more to follow.

The electric version will have additional weight with a battery that is separate from the motor that needs to go somewhere. If you went with an electric start 20 hp you'd have a 3.1 gallon external fuel tank and a battery sitting in the floor of your inflatable. Or you'd have to build some type of box for the battery.

For an inflatable of the size you've mentioned I'd go with the manual.