Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW Do you HUNT BEAVER in the SUMMER.........???

Default HOW Do you HUNT BEAVER in the SUMMER.........???

HOW Do you HUNT BEAVER in the SUMMER.........??? I am assuming with a .22 rimfire, but have never done it.

If I was looking to remove a problem beaver I would do as we did when I was a kid.
    Bust a hole in his dam and when he returned in the evening to fix it put a bullet in him.
    A .22 might work but I prefer a bit larger gun. My dad had a .243 that has killed many a beaver as did his AK47. Beavers up to 80#+.
    a .223 from your AR would do nicely on a nuisance beaver.
    If you are looking to salvage the hide then a .22 would probably suffice with proper shot placement.
    One thing to watch out for is if wounded they will sometimes dive down and grab onto something on the bottom. Then they don't pop up until their muscles give out often times a few days later. By then they are all bloated and stinky.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I was surprised to see that I can harvest one a day, all summer. May 1, through Oct. 10,

Hunting / Unit 7 Seward
    CUSTOMARY & TRADITIONAL USE
    DETERMINATION HARVEST LIMITS
    OPEN
    SEASONS
    BEAVER
    All rural residents 1 beaver per day, 1 in possession May 1 - Oct. 10
    COYOTE
    All rural residents No limit Sept. 1 - Apr. 30
    Why would you shoot one a day.
    I hope this ends this thread.

FOOD for local families, living a subsistence lifestyle.

Why do you want the thread closed........??? NOW, I see you are a BIG CITY (Los'Anchorage) weekend recreational trapper, and you want to get wealthy off the beaver pelts. OK.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    If I was looking to remove a problem beaver I would do as we did when I was a kid.
    Bust a hole in his dam and when he returned in the evening to fix it put a bullet in him.
    A .22 might work but I prefer a bit larger gun. My dad had a .243 that has killed many a beaver as did his AK47. Beavers up to 80#+.
    a .223 from your AR would do nicely on a nuisance beaver.
    If you are looking to salvage the hide then a .22 would probably suffice with proper shot placement.
    One thing to watch out for is if wounded they will sometimes dive down and grab onto something on the bottom. Then they don't pop up until their muscles give out often times a few days later. By then they are all bloated and stinky.
    Everyone in the village used .223 or .22 if they weren't trapping. Most preferred the .223 b/c it was a little more powerful and it lessened the diving aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    Hunting / Unit 7 Seward
    CUSTOMARY & TRADITIONAL USE
    DETERMINATION HARVEST LIMITS
    OPEN
    SEASONS
    BEAVER
    All rural residents 1 beaver per day, 1 in possession May 1 - Oct. 10
    COYOTE
    All rural residents No limit Sept. 1 - Apr. 30
    Literally beaver (furry animal type) is quite tasty. Not sure what summer time beaver tastes like, but winter time beaver is delicious!!

So........if they are swimming straight away and you shoot them center in the back of the head........do they float........???

Any special cooking required like temperature for bear meat......??? Or special handling during butchering.....???

Has winter set in early ? What the mind will dream up to discuss ?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So........if they are swimming straight away and you shoot them center in the back of the head........do they float........???
    I saw A few shot on one of the Alaska programs and they sank like a rock. Don't know how accurate if a depiction that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...do they float........???
    With a very occasional exception, they sink.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

It is research for a novel. Russia and China form an alliance to cover each others back if necessary. Russia aspires to take total control of the middle east Oil Fields. While China lights off two small EMP blasts over Alaska. The EMP's take out all power from Beluga Power Plant, the entire Railroad Belt and four Military Bases. With-in six hours they control everything north of the Brooks Range. With-in 36 hours they control everything North and west of the Alaska Range. With-in 72 hours they control all of Alaska and part of western Canada. They suffer 71,600 dead or wounded, but with 1.3 Billion China humans, it is considered acceptable to gain control of Alaska's Oil and Minerals.

This starts seven minutes after three massive EMP blasts triggering total grid down for 88.3% of continental America, 24.9% of inhabited Canada at 2330 hours, December 24'th 2015.

China had sent five warships into Alaska waters in early September to assess security......http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ugh-us-waters/

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Has winter set in early ? What the mind will dream up to discuss ?

Scary stuff AGL, but you're a little early. Come back around in about two weeks and I'll put some candy in your bag.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Utarded View Post
    My inner middle schooler couldn't help myself. So Yukon, you're into the furry animal type then... Interesting...
    lol...

I have a picture of my daughter (she was two) standing next to a beaver we trapped. I couldn't help but chuckle every time I talked about how good that beaver was. I still do. Naked Gun ruined serious beaver talk for me.

Thanks, that is very helpful information. Back to the Harbor Seals for survival food.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    With a very occasional exception, they sink.

It is research for a novel. Russia and China form an alliance to cover each others back if necessary. Russia aspires to take total control of the middle east Oil Fields. While China lights off two small EMP blasts over Alaska. The EMP's take out all power from Beluga Power Plant, the entire Railroad Belt and four Military Bases. With-in six hours they control everything north of the Brooks Range. With-in 36 hours they control everything North and west of the Alaska Range. With-in 72 hours they control all of Alaska and part of western Canada. They suffer 71,600 dead or wounded, but with 1.3 Billion China humans, it is considered acceptable to gain control of Alaska's Oil and Minerals.

This starts seven minutes after three massive EMP blasts triggering total grid down for 88.3% of continental America, 24.9% of inhabited Canada at 2330 hours, December 24'th 2015.

China had sent five warships into Alaska waters in early September to assess security......http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ugh-us-waters/

Nice....what's the title gonna be? "Beaver Dawn"? "Don't Tread on My Beaver" perhaps? ?.....Can I advance order a couple dozen copies to keep in the privy?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Sorry.......I was advised by my attorneys on Friday that the U.S. Department of Defense is buying all rights to the novel, for 2.14 million of your tax dollars. And have agreed to retain my consulting services for the next five years. I understand they were surprised that a good size Boy Scout troop could over run the North Slope Oil Infrastructure, and secure full control in about 75 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Nice....what's the title gonna be? "Beaver Dawn"? "Don't Tread on My Beaver" perhaps? ?.....Can I advance order a couple dozen copies to keep in the privy?

...And have agreed to retain my consulting services for the next five years.
    Are you the guy responsible for us having to learn to duck and cover when we were kids too
    #Resist

NO..... But I sure remember those drills, my being born in the mid 1940's.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Are you the guy responsible for us having to learn to duck and cover when we were kids too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast