Thread: WESTERN CARIBOU HERD.........ARTICLE.........interesting/educational

Default WESTERN CARIBOU HERD.........ARTICLE.........interesting/educational

Pretty much whats going on all right. Thank You AGL!

Jim Dau is well known and trusted here in NWAB, and his cause and effect explanations have been running true with the WACH. Older local folks and older Reindeer herders have basically the same conclusions; The numbers rise and fall. Bad winter (icing/rain) makes Caribou and Sheep weak and slow, as well as moving far in search of feed. During these icing's, the babys starve after just a couple days , as grass eating animals will, when their get no grub. The easy kills have the Wolves well fed and having larger litters and this, over time, leads to more predadations.....weakend animals are much more susceptible to diseases and injury.......eventually, this will all reverse and the populations return, unless the weather becomes the determining factor in mid winter kill offs. Rather than widly spaced and unique events, they may become common, and that could be really bad news.....

Sounds like Wolfing is going to be a priority for me this Winter. Things are a Changin'....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

What distance would you ballpark most of yours and other local hunters wolf shots to be.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Sounds like Wolfing is going to be a priority for me this Winter. Things are a Changin'....

When I was in the shooting end of the game, it was 150-400 yards on open ground, depending on the Wolf and when the notice'd me and wheather they watched me or not, and weather it was old or young. Young and dumb is a correct term for 2-3 year olds and getting them curious or howled in isnt hard at all.

The big ol ones, well they gotthat way by running before they even see you. Ive snared far more, and most that were shot were pretty dang far....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....