Thread: Lightest 15hp outboard

Default Lightest 15hp outboard

In the summer I spend a lot of time running an inflatable to different beaches. Once there in order to get the boat above high tide I need to take the outboard off. Right now I'm using an older 25hp Suzuki which I love but weighs a ton and a half. As I get older it seems to be getting heavier. It's also way more power than I need and I rarely run it much above idle. I'd like to switch to a lighter outboard and am thinking 15hp would be more than adequate. I've got a couple of 15hp suzukis that I use as kickers but they are also pretty heavy. Does anyone use a 15hp outboard that they think of as "light?" Obviously I want to stick with a 2 stroke.

The old OMC 9.9/15s are hard to beat! Powerful and light weight, they were a utilitarian marvel.
    I found a 9.9 at a garage sale for $25 that needed a little work. It has run flawlessly since I fixed it with a $5 part. The 9.9s can be made into a 15 with a carb and exhaust mod. They even have a carrying handle!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    In the summer I spend a lot of time running an inflatable to different beaches. Once there in order to get the boat above high tide I need to take the outboard off. Right now I'm using an older 25hp Suzuki which I love but weighs a ton and a half. As I get older it seems to be getting heavier. It's also way more power than I need and I rarely run it much above idle. I'd like to switch to a lighter outboard and am thinking 15hp would be more than adequate. I've got a couple of 15hp suzukis that I use as kickers but they are also pretty heavy. Does anyone use a 15hp outboard that they think of as "light?" Obviously I want to stick with a 2 stroke.
    If you rarely run much past idle do you need very much hp? Sounds like your just motoring from the mothership to shore. Wouldn't a small 3-6hp fourstroke provide the same result? The 3.5 Mercury weighs only 38lbs with built in fuel tank and we have them on sale at Alaska Frontier Fabrication for only $900. The 9.9 jumps up in weight to 84lbs and requires an external fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    If you rarely run much past idle do you need very much hp? Sounds like your just motoring from the mothership to shore. Wouldn't a small 3-6hp fourstroke provide the same result? The 3.5 Mercury weighs only 38lbs with built in fuel tank and we have them on sale at Alaska Frontier Fabrication for only $900. The 9.9 jumps up in weight to 84lbs and requires an external fuel tank.
    I use the inflatables to run from shore to an island a few miles away as well as places on the coast up to ten miles away. I've got a 5hp mercury that is great but not enough power. Might be able to use a 9.9 but there's not much if any weight difference to a 15. I used a 15hp Tohatsu on a friends boat last year that was perfect and seemed to weigh a fraction on what my suzukis weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    I use the inflatables to run from shore to an island a few miles away as well as places on the coast up to ten miles away. I've got a 5hp mercury that is great but not enough power. Might be able to use a 9.9 but there's not much if any weight difference to a 15. I used a 15hp Tohatsu on a friends boat last year that was perfect and seemed to weigh a fraction on what my suzukis weigh.
    If your running that far I can definitely see the need for more power. The 15hp Merc and Tohatsu should be the same weight since their both built by Tohastu. There's a rebate on all Mercury engines at this time so if your interested in going 4 stroke let me know.

If you can find a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke get it. Only 58 lbs and pushes my 10 ft zodiac on step with me and another and gear no problem.

Here's a second to what SkwentnaMan just said. I have a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke and it wil put me, my 10ft Zodiac, a passenger, and all our gear up on step without a hesitation. Waaaay better than my 6hp 4-stroke and it weighs only 57-58lbs...it is the most that I want to hang on to when handing a motor off the gunnel of the mothership and onto the dinghy...I've even used it to hip-tow my 26ft ACB. Not pretty but it will push the big boat around, too.

See if you can find an old Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke. That thing should weigh <95lbs and put out a lot of power! I just ain't a big enough dude to man-handle a 90+lb monster over the side of my boat and delicately on to the transom...

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    If you can find a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke get it. Only 58 lbs and pushes my 10 ft zodiac on step with me and another and gear no problem.
    That is a good choice if you can find one. Sold my personal one that was like new last year. Was that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    If your running that far I can definitely see the need for more power. The 15hp Merc and Tohatsu should be the same weight since their both built by Tohastu. There's a rebate on all Mercury engines at this time so if your interested in going 4 stroke let me know.
    Is that newer ones? I have an older tohastu and an older merc. Big difference in the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Is that newer ones? I have an older tohastu and an older merc. Big difference in the weight.
    All new ones up to 25hp
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

I think you should also compare the Yamaha 8hp and 9.9hp High Thrust.