Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Lightest 15hp outboard

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    262

    Default Lightest 15hp outboard

    In the summer I spend a lot of time running an inflatable to different beaches. Once there in order to get the boat above high tide I need to take the outboard off. Right now I'm using an older 25hp Suzuki which I love but weighs a ton and a half. As I get older it seems to be getting heavier. It's also way more power than I need and I rarely run it much above idle. I'd like to switch to a lighter outboard and am thinking 15hp would be more than adequate. I've got a couple of 15hp suzukis that I use as kickers but they are also pretty heavy. Does anyone use a 15hp outboard that they think of as "light?" Obviously I want to stick with a 2 stroke.

  2. #2
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    The old OMC 9.9/15s are hard to beat! Powerful and light weight, they were a utilitarian marvel.
    I found a 9.9 at a garage sale for $25 that needed a little work. It has run flawlessly since I fixed it with a $5 part. The 9.9s can be made into a 15 with a carb and exhaust mod. They even have a carrying handle!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    In the summer I spend a lot of time running an inflatable to different beaches. Once there in order to get the boat above high tide I need to take the outboard off. Right now I'm using an older 25hp Suzuki which I love but weighs a ton and a half. As I get older it seems to be getting heavier. It's also way more power than I need and I rarely run it much above idle. I'd like to switch to a lighter outboard and am thinking 15hp would be more than adequate. I've got a couple of 15hp suzukis that I use as kickers but they are also pretty heavy. Does anyone use a 15hp outboard that they think of as "light?" Obviously I want to stick with a 2 stroke.
    If you rarely run much past idle do you need very much hp? Sounds like your just motoring from the mothership to shore. Wouldn't a small 3-6hp fourstroke provide the same result? The 3.5 Mercury weighs only 38lbs with built in fuel tank and we have them on sale at Alaska Frontier Fabrication for only $900. The 9.9 jumps up in weight to 84lbs and requires an external fuel tank.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    If you rarely run much past idle do you need very much hp? Sounds like your just motoring from the mothership to shore. Wouldn't a small 3-6hp fourstroke provide the same result? The 3.5 Mercury weighs only 38lbs with built in fuel tank and we have them on sale at Alaska Frontier Fabrication for only $900. The 9.9 jumps up in weight to 84lbs and requires an external fuel tank.
    I use the inflatables to run from shore to an island a few miles away as well as places on the coast up to ten miles away. I've got a 5hp mercury that is great but not enough power. Might be able to use a 9.9 but there's not much if any weight difference to a 15. I used a 15hp Tohatsu on a friends boat last year that was perfect and seemed to weigh a fraction on what my suzukis weigh.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    I use the inflatables to run from shore to an island a few miles away as well as places on the coast up to ten miles away. I've got a 5hp mercury that is great but not enough power. Might be able to use a 9.9 but there's not much if any weight difference to a 15. I used a 15hp Tohatsu on a friends boat last year that was perfect and seemed to weigh a fraction on what my suzukis weigh.
    If your running that far I can definitely see the need for more power. The 15hp Merc and Tohatsu should be the same weight since their both built by Tohastu. There's a rebate on all Mercury engines at this time so if your interested in going 4 stroke let me know.

  6. #6

    Default

    If you can find a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke get it. Only 58 lbs and pushes my 10 ft zodiac on step with me and another and gear no problem.

  7. #7
    Member IceKing02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Here's a second to what SkwentnaMan just said. I have a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke and it wil put me, my 10ft Zodiac, a passenger, and all our gear up on step without a hesitation. Waaaay better than my 6hp 4-stroke and it weighs only 57-58lbs...it is the most that I want to hang on to when handing a motor off the gunnel of the mothership and onto the dinghy...I've even used it to hip-tow my 26ft ACB. Not pretty but it will push the big boat around, too.

  8. #8
    Member IceKing02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    552

    Default

    See if you can find an old Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke. That thing should weigh <95lbs and put out a lot of power! I just ain't a big enough dude to man-handle a 90+lb monster over the side of my boat and delicately on to the transom...

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    If you can find a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke get it. Only 58 lbs and pushes my 10 ft zodiac on step with me and another and gear no problem.
    That is a good choice if you can find one. Sold my personal one that was like new last year. Was that you?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    If your running that far I can definitely see the need for more power. The 15hp Merc and Tohatsu should be the same weight since their both built by Tohastu. There's a rebate on all Mercury engines at this time so if your interested in going 4 stroke let me know.
    Is that newer ones? I have an older tohastu and an older merc. Big difference in the weight.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Is that newer ones? I have an older tohastu and an older merc. Big difference in the weight.
    All new ones up to 25hp
    North River and Phantom Boat Dealer
    Mecury, FNM Diesel Engine, Hagglund sales and service
    Prop, Impeller & Alumimum boat repair, customization, & metal fabrication.
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Anchor Point
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I think you should also compare the Yamaha 8hp and 9.9hp High Thrust.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •