Thread: Rainbow or Steelhead?

Default Rainbow or Steelhead?

I will give you the story and the details later. Right now I am just curious what your opinion is on the question of "Do you think it is a rainbow or a steelhead"? I will tell you more later.

Looks like a Steelie to me. Maybe a middle river Kenai fish?
    How was the fight?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Only way to be 100% sure is to stick a scale under a scope.

I fish steelhead and rainbows alot so I have seen alot of both. This time of the year alot of rainbows are in breading colors. That being said, I would say rainbow because of the body style and head. Steelhead normally have a wide body and a big head. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The person holding it is sure a pie'face.........or maybe just GREEN with envy............

Looks like a spawned'out smilie-face...........

I vote.....RAINBOW based on overall shape of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Looks like a Steelie to me. Maybe a middle river Kenai fish?
    How was the fight?
    Okay, I'll give you guys a little more info. Yes it was caught on the middle river Kenai. Looks like a steelhead, but I have never heard of steelhead in the Kenai. I know they are in the Kasilof and the Anchor, but I have never heard it confirmed that there are steelhead in the Kenai so I am stumped. A couple buddies that were with me both thought it was a steelhead also. It was 29 1/2 inches and yes it was a good fight.

I know others who have caught (steelies) in the Kenai. Reliable people who know their fish. I believe they're in there. And I'd say you got one there.
    Even if there's not a significant run of any kind in the Kenai, the Kenai is known to get strays.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Looks like a steelhead to me.

"There are steelhead in the Kenai River," asserts Robert Begich, area management biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. "It's not as much a mystery as people are sometimes led to believe. Like never before, more and more anglers are fishing the Kenai's shoulder season, and that's where they show up." http://www.adn.com/article/20090928/...at-fish-debate
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...teelhead/page2
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If you right hand was not where it is in the pic there might be some marks from sea lice. It's face is not all ripped to crap, so I go with Steelhead.

that is a typical Kenai Steelhead. And yes there are steelies in the Kenai, have been for a long time. Supposedly that is the reason F&G cut the stocking program at crooked creek, fish where wondering to "other water sheds".

Unspawned steelhead.
    If it were a spawned bow I would expect to see some wear on the tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    ..fish where wondering to "other water sheds".
    Steelies are notable wanderers.

Only way to be sure if it's a steelie or not is to look at the scales. Next time you get one, scrape a few scales from up by the dorsal fin and have someone who knows what they're doing take a look.

I'd say steelhead also, but that's just my best, uneducated, guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, that thar be a steelie.
    Pretty easy to tell the difference between a Kenai bow and steelhead.
    We usually get at least one or two in the middle on my annual pilgrimage to the Kenai.
    Have also hooked a couple in the Upper but they are pretty rare up there in September.
    Not sure if there are better numbers in the spring though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Steelies are notable wanderers.

Only way to be sure if it's a steelie or not is to look at the scales. Next time you get one, scrape a few scales from up by the dorsal fin and have someone who knows what they're doing take a look.
    Steelhead have already been officially identified in the Kenai, but if you still want to pull a scale pull it from the "preferred area".
    Draw a line from the posterior end of the dorsal fin and the anterior end of the anal fin. From there move up two to three rows above the lateral line.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Look at the spotting pattern, as well as overall body shape of the fish. Both are strong tells. There are no spots below lateral line. Steelhead. The body is slim and streamlined, torpedo like. Steelhead.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Look at the spotting pattern, as well as overall body shape of the fish. Both are strong tells. There are no spots below lateral line. Steelhead. The body is slim and streamlined, torpedo like. Steelhead.
    Feds have been running a visual weir on the Funny River (tributary of the Kenai) for awhile and have documented a population of steelhead that enter that system. It has been a few years since I looked at the weir data but it seems like the steelhead estimate (some enter under the ice before weir is operational) was around 300 for the Funny.

Steelie, if that was a kenai rainbow the face/jaw would be completely deformed by that age from being hooked 15000 times.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts