Thread: Malina lakes this fall

Default Malina lakes this fall

I am heading out for a brown bear hunt in a couple weeks. We are going to upper malina lake on afognak. We have one bear tag and hopefully a couple elk registration tags. I have read every post on here about afognak and elk hunting. We have been studying up on our bear judging and just bear hunting in general. Both me and my partner have gotten nice bears before so we are going to hold out for a good one. Only problem is neither one of us has been to afognak before. We have studied google earth till its imprinted in our brains. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any info on the area from past experience. I think we have a good plan but you know how that goes. Flying in with andrews and staying 10-12 days. Both of us have hunted kodiak before and are prepared for the weather and have extra gear for some down days if need be. We are getting excited and starting to loose sleep thinking about going. Sure is nice to fit one last hunt in before summers over. Thanks.

Suggest you take a predator call, or two predator calls.

I have two friends who just returned last week from an elk hunt there. There were a lots of bears. I also have two other friends who are there right now and are due to return Thursday. I'll get a heads up from them on the bear situation and relay what I find to you.

Thanks longbow I really appreciate the help.

bring a fishing rod, and fish and glass. malina is BRUSHY, elk i shot and the only ones i saw were either on the skyline or just below it. probably gonna be some gut piles that have been cleaned up around there given thats one of the few places you can hunt without paying a tresspass fee. when i was there there was 14 people on the upper lake. some huge dollies in the creeks and good amount of silvers. figure the bears are gonna get more and more nocturnal every day given the amount of people that use that area. they know when the 25 is.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Got back last week from a week at Lilypad Lake on Afognak. Elk were up high. Had one bear behind camp, but didn't see much sign around. Still fishing, most likely. Good luck.

I was there several years ago. We had a Zodiac and we were able to line it between the upper and lower lakes opened up a lot more country. I think that Kodiak Kamps has Zodiacs for rent.

My friends returned early today because of lack of elk and they were soaked and beat. I wasn't going to say exactly where they were but since it's already been mentioned. They too were at Lilypad lake. They saw multiple bears with a couple good shooters. These guys have constant contact with bears where they work so they are good judges of size.

Just this weekend I was hunting elk, albeit not in AK. The first couple of days I didn't see an elk (lack of elk). But then the third day I saw some, shot one, and was much satisfied that I kept on even with a lack of elk.

Anyway, been awhile since I was on Afognak, but I have found that when you find a path up through the alders, make sure you GPS it and lay down a track so you can find that same path again. It can save you a lot of work and frustration not having to beat alders on that place.

Thanks for all the input guys. We are bringing a couple of pack rafts along for the lake. We are kind of worried about the amount of hunters in the area. I guess we will just have to wait and see. We will also have a sawtooth with a wood stove to get out of the weather. Looks like heavy rain is the norm for afognak. Still scouring the web for any info we can. Does anyone think it is worth it to get the land pass permit and try other lakes ?

don't let the other hunters scare you, just be in better shape and up earlier than the rest of them. i got my elk out of a heard of 140 on the north side of upper malina, i beat everyone up the mountain, but my mistake was not shooting first. those elk ball up like a herd of musk ox when shot at and run the ridge lines, basicly they ran the gaunlet. i killed a gut shot yearling that someone has just tossed lead into. alot of shooting when it started...three elk killed. not sure how many were wounded. it was pretty ugly.
    note...those elk are big. easy as big as a big cow moose. remember that when and where you decide to drop the hammer.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I called and left you a message.

Good luck, I had that bear permit a few years ago & couldn't wait to get in to Lilly pad lake. Unfortunately that year when we flew over it the day before season opened it was solid ice so I had to plan B it on the salt. Hopefully you will fare better.

Looks to be fairly warm there recently. I leave at 4 am tor the next 12 days. Should be a lot of fun and we hope to get a toad. Thanks to everyone for the great advice and support.