Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: A mixed Bag o birds

  1. #1
    Member Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    735

    Default A mixed Bag o birds

    A couple weeks ago I took the hounds out for little hunting and found a few birds. We found and harvested Spruce Grouse, Ptarmigan and a pleasant surprise of Sharptail grouse. Coal got her first point on wild birds...it was a site point on a pair of spruce grouse, but I will take that at her age. Coal also got her first exposure to snow. Pie and Joe had a few points as well.











  2. #2
    Member Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    735

    Default

    this pic didnt attach for some reason....


  3. #3
    Member Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    735

    Default

    oooppss, I guess it did, sorry for the duplicate

  4. #4

    Default

    Congratulations on a great hunt!
    You've got some beautiful dogs there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,750

    Default

    Wow.....hell of a hunt...!!! Nothing like huntin' birds over dogs....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Well apparently not afraid of the snow! Really nice pictures!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Looks like a great time was had by all!

  8. #8
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    How fun is that!

  9. #9
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,214

    Default

    Way to go, Burke! Looks like a ball. Sure is fun to watch dogs work the field. Thanks for the pics and updates. Keep em coming.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  10. #10
    Member Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Congratulations on a great hunt!
    You've got some beautiful dogs there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the compliment. its quite a crew to handle.... From 5 months to 14 years old
    Its difficult to do selfie w 5 month old squirrelly pup who wants to grab the birds

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. its quite a crew to handle.... From 5 months to 14 years old
    Its difficult to do selfie w 5 month old squirrelly pup who wants to grab the birds
    The first bird dog I had was a liver and whit Britt. Super intelligent dog. Man he sure could track!
    Later when I became a chuckar hunter I switched to wind dogs and went with pointers. Unfortunately I've outlived them all. Now I'm bird dog less and the wife and I are talking about getting another Britt or maybe a setter.
    Did you find your dogs instate?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    The first bird dog I had was a liver and whit Britt. Super intelligent dog. Man he sure could track!
    Later when I became a chuckar hunter I switched to wind dogs and went with pointers. Unfortunately I've outlived them all. Now I'm bird dog less and the wife and I are talking about getting another Britt or maybe a setter.
    Did you find your dogs instate?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After looking for almost a year around Anchorage I finally found a wonderful pointer. She's been the best companion and the smartest dog I've ever owned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    After looking for almost a year around Anchorage I finally found a wonderful pointer. She's been the best companion and the smartest dog I've ever owned.
    Surprising isn't it?
    I really never pictures a pointer as much of a companion, but they are!!!
    Incredibly smart and fantastic family dog!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Surprising isn't it?
    I really never pictures a pointer as much of a companion, but they are!!!
    Incredibly smart and fantastic family dog!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She's the second pointer I've owned. The first was a German and the second is an English Pointer. The English has been on almost every hunting, camping, and fishing trip through the last decade. She's smelled bears 30 minutes before they show themselves more times than I can count. Loves hanging out in the boat or near the fire and is more affectionate than any other dog I've owned. She's been great around small kids and small dogs. She's been the perfect Alaskan dog for me.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  15. #15
    Member Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    735

    Default

    QUOTE from fishcatcher..... The first bird dog I had was a liver and whit Britt. Super intelligent dog. Man he sure could track!
    Later when I became a chuckar hunter I switched to wind dogs and went with pointers. Unfortunately I've outlived them all. Now I'm bird dog less and the wife and I are talking about getting another Britt or maybe a setter.
    Did you find your dogs instate?



    Fishcatcher, I know of a few folks how have had litters of Brittanys, but not what I would consider a breeder of hunting britts...if Brittanys are what you are looking for I suggest True Grit Brits http://www.truegritbrits.com/ in Belgrade Montana. Both my Brittanys are from there. Tana Kradolfer is a very conscientious breeder. She is constantly scrutinizing her dogs and trying to better the breed. She breeds for both confirmation and hunting with hunting being the emphasis. Her bloodlines have produced quite few trial tested dogs as well. She has been breeding Brittanys for as long as I have known her...20 plus years. She has a lot of quality dogs in the field. If she doesn't have any pups when you want them, she could probably tell you where to get one.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    QUOTE from fishcatcher..... The first bird dog I had was a liver and whit Britt. Super intelligent dog. Man he sure could track!
    Later when I became a chuckar hunter I switched to wind dogs and went with pointers. Unfortunately I've outlived them all. Now I'm bird dog less and the wife and I are talking about getting another Britt or maybe a setter.
    Did you find your dogs instate?



    Fishcatcher, I know of a few folks how have had litters of Brittanys, but not what I would consider a breeder of hunting britts...if Brittanys are what you are looking for I suggest True Grit Brits http://www.truegritbrits.com/ in Belgrade Montana. Both my Brittanys are from there. Tana Kradolfer is a very conscientious breeder. She is constantly scrutinizing her dogs and trying to better the breed. She breeds for both confirmation and hunting with hunting being the emphasis. Her bloodlines have produced quite few trial tested dogs as well. She has been breeding Brittanys for as long as I have known her...20 plus years. She has a lot of quality dogs in the field. If she doesn't have any pups when you want them, she could probably tell you where to get one.
    Thank you sir
    We are still discussing it. This is the first fall in 25 years that I haven't had a bird dog and it sucks.
    I have an 9 month old son and I think I should wait a few more years before I train another. I want my son to enjoy a few years hunting with my next dog.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Burke is spot on with his advice. TrueGrit Brits has bred some top dogs! I directed a friend of mine to TrueGrit Brits some 6 years ago and his pup, Beaver's Straight Arrow, became the first Brittany to win the top spot as National Champ two years in a row. My Clyde is an Arrow pup and he's hot stuff! I don't field trial, but if I did I'm sure Clyde would be at the top of the game. Tana has no pups at the moment, but she always knows who does. I have another Arrow pup hitting the ground in November and I'm excited as hell!

    Here's my Clyde, 1/3 of my current string of Brittanys.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •