Thread: Lincoln Island Cabin SEAK--

Default Lincoln Island Cabin SEAK--

Anyone out there have any experience with the anchorage for the Lincoln Island cabin near Juneau (North Pass area)? I'd like to know what the fall weather brings to that area relative to anchoring out my 27' SeaSport. Don't need it pulling up and dragging off thru the Pass or up on the beach. Thanks

Just got back from the cabin and hunting there this weekend. The anchorage is not great. exposed from south and east. With the weather this weekend it was a few sleepless night. There seems to be a pretty steep drop of at ~35-40' at high tide about 750' off the beach. So what we did was anchor a little south if the cabin in about 35' of water with 150' of line and really set that thing. It just blew the boat (c-dory) north almost parallel to the shore. It worked but if the wind blew from the east the boat might have been really close to beach. Blowing from the North it would be OK. Hope that helps. PM if you want more details.

Thanks much tbag...I boated up there yesterday during the nice weather and nosed in there...I'd say that if it decided to blow straight E or nor-E (like you say), there'd be hell to pay...but w/ the pattern we're having I might just roll the die.....

I've looked at several areas to anchor and decided most are sketchy if the wind comes up. Wouldn't it be nice if the state cabins were located in areas that were sheltered a bit or had floating moorage available to secure one's boat.

Yep. A friend lost his boat at the west side Shelter Island cabin a few years back, hanging on the established mooring. Never figured out what happened, maybe a wave, a sea lion got in and made it turn turtle? Didn't move from the anchorage. In any event, no protection at all there. I wouldn't anchor there even if I stayed aboard. Lincoln Island looks more complicated and risky. Not that far of a ride from Amalga or Auke Bay to risk it.