Thread: saftey concern, what to do

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Default saftey concern, what to do

A cabin access trail for six property owners passes behind a bullet stop (50 feet away) a seventh property owner has developed (the original trail has been there since the 70's) on State land. His shooting range includes 100 yards of clearcut public land for a shooting lane.
    I consider this a very unsafe condition and have spoken to the property owner regarding this. His take is that there is no issue, as there is no issue with his illegal septic system, clear cutting 1-1/2 acres of bourgh land and 1 acre of rail road land, digging out a spring on public land and poaching trees off state land.
    He has one cease and desist order from a neighbor for trespass (he made two trails across her land with an excivator without permission) and has been told not to trespass on my property.

Suggestions?

Can a complaint be made with the troopers regarding the unsafe bullet stop?

Woud the troopers make a trip out on wheeler to investigate?

Thanks

YEP........on the top of his berm, Put three used targets so that they aim towards his cabin. Don't shoot at them just place them there for him to reflect on. Plan "B" collect $50.00 from each of the other six cabin owners, and talk to a lawyer. Have the lawyer send a registered letter to him, with a copy to AST.

Seems like he might be due a visit from the Borough folks to check out his diggings. Maybe the State would like to tag along.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Or just burn him out...j/k. Yes I would call the appropriate authorities.

Sense, respect, courtesy and conversation haven't worked. Time for the legal beagles and the guvmint to step in. The guy clearly has history, and I doubt you want to step into the middle of his outlook about "freedom."

As what was mentioned....diplomacy hasn't worked. So I'd just call the troopers and let them know all he's done.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have little experience with this sort of thing, only enough to know, it's difficult, with someone who knows what he can get away with.

My past experience with the ASTs causes me to assume, they will do nothing, but a complaint to them can't hurt.

To me, what AGL4now suggested sounds like a plausible route to pursue. Especially, with the backing of other property owners. Making threats, implied or otherwise, will harm your case.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thank you the words of wisdom.
    Will start with AST.

I hope he's not a lower 48 transplant.

I feel bad for you otternorth. There is power in numbers. I'd call a meeting with all seven property owners. Invite the law to attend so it all gets laid on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    A cabin access trail for six property owners passes behind a bullet stop (50 feet away) a seventh property owner has developed (the original trail has been there since the 70's) on State land. His shooting range includes 100 yards of clearcut public land for a shooting lane.
    I consider this a very unsafe condition and have spoken to the property owner regarding this. His take is that there is no issue, as there is no issue with his illegal septic system, clear cutting 1-1/2 acres of bourgh land and 1 acre of rail road land, digging out a spring on public land and poaching trees off state land.
    He has one cease and desist order from a neighbor for trespass (he made two trails across her land with an excivator without permission) and has been told not to trespass on my property.

Suggestions?
    Call and write to the following:

Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation and report the illegal septic system

Alaska Division of Forestry and report the tree cutting

The Borough and report the clear cutting

The Alaska Railroad to report the clear cutting and trespass

The State Troopers and report the dangerous shooting lane.

Your state and local representatives to ask that they prod the various agencies into actually doing something.

PITA for sure, and calling the government to tattle is a last resort to me, but you apparently have a real loose cannon on your hands. The idea is to notify enough of the affected public agencies that, hopefully, at least a few will respond. The more people that are aware of all this, the less likely he will be able to continue.

I'd politely offer him an arse whoopin, shortly followed by an arse whoopin, then, I'd come back each Wednesday evening and supply another arse whoopin until he moves out of the country!

Probably better to do what these are guys are telling you, but that'd be my approach!

In my experience it can sometimes to be difficult to get others to help out even though it sounds like your neighbors are in agreement with you it may help to give them copies of the documents you send to the authorities and ask them to also send copies to the authorities on behalf of themselves. That way the work is done and all they have to do is stick a few postage stamps on an envelope and send it out. I used to help do this down south when the government was trying to shut down riding areas and stuff because you would get a lot of people that would say they would write in or whatever but nobody ever would, if you do the legwork for them so they just have to put down their name and mail it chances are more people will contribute. Just a thought. Good luck!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    In my experience it can sometimes to be difficult to get others to help out even though it sounds like your neighbors are in agreement with you it may help to give them copies of the documents you send to the authorities and ask them to also send copies to the authorities on behalf of themselves. That way the work is done and all they have to do is stick a few postage stamps on an envelope and send it out. I used to help do this down south when the government was trying to shut down riding areas and stuff because you would get a lot of people that would say they would write in or whatever but nobody ever would, if you do the legwork for them so they just have to put down their name and mail it chances are more people will contribute. Just a thought. Good luck!
    It would be worth the effort to talk to the neighbors before drafting documents for them to send to the authorities. First off, not everyone wants to get involved, for a variety of reasons. Secondly, in the off chance that one or more of your neighbors have some history with the authorities that they would rather not rekindle, pushing them to jump on board with you might very well have an opposite effect.

Unfortunately in reality you probably have two options...build a fence and ignore his activities, or move. C'mon, this is Alaska...he doesn't even sound like a featherweight dirtbag, compared to some of the beauties out there.

I called the troopers a while back about some L48 yokels that were using my property to access theirs, tearing it up with trucks then shooting my no trespass signs full of holes when I put them up. AST would not even come out to talk to them, the trooper basically told me to handle it myself....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I would add US Army Corps of Engineers to your list of he has touched anything that may constitute a wetland, they are a real joy to work with and have the backing of the Feds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be sure every thing you said was done illegal really was,you can get permits and be grandfathered on some things..The city owns our range and a nice trail runs right around the berms
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would be sure every thing you said was done illegal really was,you can get permits and be grandfathered on some things..The city owns our range and a nice trail runs right around the berms
    When shooting at Rabbit Creek the range master has called a cease fire when spotting hikers FAR out on the mud flats behind the bullet berms.
    A cabin access trail on top of a berm that is used as a bullet stop is dangerous. The neighbor in question does not give a ****, but yet he will not (at my suggestion) have his children, wife or friends drive back and forth above the bullet stop when he is shooting.

He now has two cease and desist for trespassing from neighbors.

We shall see where this all spins out. Ill let you know.

Another thing, if he has clear cut ARR land, you might contact them as well.

An update;
    his hands were slapped by various agency's, corrections required and verified and the unsafe range ordered to be and was taken down. He had to remove his salt licks per the troopers. Something about 'baiting moose' with those. His attitude will not change but at least the drive into the cabin will not be as dangerous.
    Will wait and see how long it all lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    An update;
    his hands were slapped by various agency's, corrections required and verified and the unsafe range ordered to be and was taken down. He had to remove his salt licks per the troopers. Something about 'baiting moose' with those. His attitude will not change but at least the drive into the cabin will not be as dangerous.
    Will wait and see how long it all lasts.
    Glad to hear you had some success. POS neighbors are awful.