Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Hunting in California

Default Future Hunting in California

Get your hunting there done soon.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...ht-against-nra

Nothing there about hunting. Or Alaska.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Nothing new here really......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

And nothing in there that would restrict 99% of hunters.
    Did you read it?

Wow kind of worry's me no one here seems to care about having to have a back ground check to buy ammo. The funny thing is none of those laws will do anything to stop crime.

It is California, what do you expect! California used to be a good place but, it is going down hill more and more all of the time.

Do you pay any attention to politics in Anchorage? Where nearly 50% of Alaska's population lives. Anchorage seems to exhibit a CA bend towards its political dealings. Unfortunately, it looks like AK is really going CA, in the current political cycle here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Do you pay any attention to politics in Anchorage? Where nearly 50% of Alaska's population lives. Anchorage seems to exhibit a CA bend towards its political dealings. Unfortunately, it looks like AK is really going CA, in the current political cycle here.
    Any examples you could cite?
    I live here and have no idea what you are talking about.

Exactly. Pretty scary IMO, since Anchorage dictates to the rest of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Any examples you could cite?
    I live here and have no idea what you are talking about.
    Prevalent ideas resulting in referendums regarding hunting, trapping and other game and fish management issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Prevalent ideas resulting in referendums regarding hunting, trapping and other game and fish management issues.
    So you are stumped too?
    I guess that makes three of us.

So you are stumped too?
    I guess that makes three of us.
    I'm not stumped at all. There are periodic petitions and/or referendums to end various types of hunting; for instance aerial wolf hunting and bear baiting. There has recently been a petition to end set netting in "urban" areas which was largely Anchorage driven. The success of these has been varied thus far, but non-hunting and trapping residents are becoming more numerous in Anchorage every year, and they don't have much patience with traditional harvesting of fish and game. I think we can safely assume that they will affect policy in the future in ways that traditional commercial fishermen and "sport" hunters and fishermen may find threatening.

It is OK for us to not agree on this.

I agree that it is OK to disagree.

While don't have time to peruse the minutes of every back room meeting I do keep an eye on the BOG and read the proposals from time to time and I just don't see the problem of Anchorage residents dictating anything to the rest of the State. If anything, as a population we are seriously underrepresented which is fine with me as long as the wheels stay on the track. Heck, I can't even think of a city anywhere the size of Anchorage that has more of a pro-hunting bias. Half of the threads on this forum contain complaints about the number hunters from here. Sure, there are a few activists in the mix but if Anchorage didn't exist they'd be someplace else anyway.

I agree that it is OK to disagree.

While don't have time to peruse the minutes of every back room meeting I do keep an eye on the BOG and read the proposals from time to time and I just don't see the problem of Anchorage residents dictating anything to the rest of the State. If anything, as a population we are seriously underrepresented which is fine with me as long as the wheels stay on the track. Heck, I can't even think of a city anywhere the size of Anchorage that has more of a pro-hunting bias. Half of the threads on this forum contain complaints about the number hunters from here. Sure, there are a few activists in the mix but if Anchorage didn't exist they'd be someplace else anyway.
    Surprise! I think you are right on most of your points. But some time, just for kicks, read the comments after an ADN article about a bear shooting in a DLP situation, or a girl who goes on a bear hunt before a prom, or any number of other such stories that speak of an animal's life being taken. I'm betting if you had experienced Alaska and Anchorage in the 1960s, as I did, you would be surprised at how this "pro-hunting" city has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Surprise! I think you are right on most of your points. But some time, just for kicks, read the comments after an ADN article about a bear shooting in a DLP situation, or a girl who goes on a bear hunt before a prom, or any number of other such stories that speak of an animal's life being taken. I'm betting if you had experienced Alaska and Anchorage in the 1960s, as I did, you would be surprised at how this "pro-hunting" city has changed.
    I'd have to agree with you. Used to be you'd hardly ever read anything negative about hunting in AK...... and I'm speaking around 30 some odd years ago or so. It was just accepted as part of the Alaskan lifestyle and nobody dared bit*h about it in public....

But as far as the CA. thing, which is where I'm originally from, that crap has been going on for so long that, like I said above, it really is nothing new....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Alaska is no different than the lower 48. It might be behind a little but it will see everything that the lower 48 is seeing someday.

My point (and its only my opinion) was that while I resided in Anchorage, due to my employment, I met a varied group of people in their homes. No I didn't try to sell them anything. Many of the people were new comers to the state and those that volunteered that they were from CA, almost to a person said that they just "had to get away from all the craziness" back home. Whenever our discussions turned to politics, there was a definite bias (in many) towards electing the same type of people that screwed up their home state. Now we have a governor that wants to raze the Permanent Fund (without significant spending cuts) and a mayor that seems to be in lockstep with him. Just what I observed in the 10 years I had that job.

...those that volunteered that they were from CA, almost to a person said that they just "had to get away from all the craziness" back home. Whenever our discussions turned to politics, there was a definite bias (in many) towards electing the same type of people that screwed up their home state....
    I have noticed this, with a few exceptions, in a variety of places in Alaska; flee the craziness, yet haul it along with you.

I'd be curious what those crazies have in line for those who reload. If you have to have a background check for ammo, I'm guessing they can kiss reloading goodbye.

My point (and its only my opinion) was that while I resided in Anchorage, due to my employment, I met a varied group of people in their homes. No I didn't try to sell them anything. Many of the people were new comers to the state and those that volunteered that they were from CA, almost to a person said that they just "had to get away from all the craziness" back home. Whenever our discussions turned to politics, there was a definite bias (in many) towards electing the same type of people that screwed up their home state. Now we have a governor that wants to raze the Permanent Fund (without significant spending cuts) and a mayor that seems to be in lockstep with him. Just what I observed in the 10 years I had that job.
    Agree with you.

To see what goes on when state elections come up, just look at which areas of the State had the most votes for liberal stuff right after the election. And you will see Anchorage, and Juneau as the most prominent. Then in Fairbanks, University West and Ester will have most of the votes with a liberal twist. North Pole and other areas outside of Fairbanks are the most conservative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast