Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: How to catch a POACHER

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,902

    Default How to catch a POACHER

    Turned in a few over the years. Reported a couple of doofuses that killed 2 sub legal bulls at the same time. When F&W followed up with them, they discovered they had poached a cow a few days earlier, and also over harvested black bears. My hunting partner casually took pics of them with their ill gotten animals.
    I have turned people in for wanton waste (left an entire carcass) and they paid the price. I'd turn my mom in for that (course she wouldn't do that but you get the point)
    Now days when I'm in the field, I use my camera or smart phone to grab a pic of anything that looks out of place. You get a time stamp along with the pic. Say you come back a day or 2 later and the ravens alert you to a carcass. Now you should have a pic of a vehicle, license plate, and maybe even....gasp...poachers. I keep a pad and pencil in the truck also, and take notes.
    Talking with other hunters you know that are in the same area can result in sharing of information that helps put the pieces together.
    That's the best way to get a handle on this stuff. F&W ain't gonna catch them on their own. Too much area to cover, and too few officers. We have got to be the eyes and ears. And Narcs too, I guess. Sucks to have to call somebody in, but if you don't make the call then don't expect too see your hunting area being over run with 50" plus bulls.
    Be proactive folks.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I wouldn't say it sucks to call someone in....they deserve it and much respect to anyone that does call. What sucks is that ethical hunters have to call it in or be worried about it.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Turned in a few over the years. Reported a couple of doofuses that killed 2 sub legal bulls at the same time. When F&W followed up with them, they discovered they had poached a cow a few days earlier, and also over harvested black bears. My hunting partner casually took pics of them with their ill gotten animals.
    I have turned people in for wanton waste (left an entire carcass) and they paid the price. I'd turn my mom in for that (course she wouldn't do that but you get the point)
    Now days when I'm in the field, I use my camera or smart phone to grab a pic of anything that looks out of place. You get a time stamp along with the pic. Say you come back a day or 2 later and the ravens alert you to a carcass. Now you should have a pic of a vehicle, license plate, and maybe even....gasp...poachers. I keep a pad and pencil in the truck also, and take notes.
    Talking with other hunters you know that are in the same area can result in sharing of information that helps put the pieces together.
    That's the best way to get a handle on this stuff. F&W ain't gonna catch them on their own. Too much area to cover, and too few officers. We have got to be the eyes and ears. And Narcs too, I guess. Sucks to have to call somebody in, but if you don't make the call then don't expect too see your hunting area being over run with 50" plus bulls.
    Be proactive folks.
    Amen.

    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SmokeRoss again."

    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  4. #4
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default How to catch a POACHER

    I agree. The most likely way to catch poachers or those who take a sub legal and intend to drive it home at dark is for other hunters to notice it, document it and report it. There's just too many square miles and not enough hours in the week for our wildlife troopers to have the kind of impact that would really knock down the high illegal take in some of the areas people have been talking about on here.

    Honestly, I feel like I could get an illegal bull out of the field and past the troopers 9 out of 10 times. But with other folks, I would only give myself 50/50 chances. Last year, getting out to the parking lot and the whole drive to Glennallen we didn't see any troopers or any other official. But sure enough, as we were butchering him, another hunter motored past us to some nearby high ground and looked around for awhile, including staring right at us in his binos.
    It's good for all hunters to have it firmly fixed in their mind to report other hunters, even if they're just suspicious. Otherwise, the likelihood of the troopers catching people who run their 48" moose out of the field or leave it to rot is just too statistically low. Theres just too much territory to cover and they're busy enough as it is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  5. #5
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SmokeRoss again.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    281

    Default

    It is not a crime to turn someone in, in my mind it should be to not do so. Accidents do happen, and the penalty for self reporting is pretty dang steep. Most times the person knows though, and feels the same as most on here, the chances of getting caught by a trooper are slim, so it falls on us.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Huh. If I were in the field, and someone came by and just started to take photos or video of my property, I'd be very inclined to kick them in the nuts as hard as I could, then disappear the camera memory.

    Now, if I actually observed someone to poach an animal, yes, I would video and take pix from a safe distance, but close enough to make sure they could be identified. Unfortunately, out here, it would go no-where. In urbania at least, the DA's might actually prosecute.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  8. #8
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Huh. If I were in the field, and someone came by and just started to take photos or video of my property, I'd be very inclined to kick them in the nuts as hard as I could, then disappear the camera memory.
    Poaching would only get you a slap on the wrist (unfortunately). Attacking someone will get you jail time.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  9. #9

    Default

    When out in the field, you never know who has a digiscoping camera kit on their spotting scope and a Sat Phone or In Reach Messenger. You could be miles away from nowhere and someone on the ridge across the valley from your camp might snap a few pics and make a call to someone and give your GPS coordinates to AWT, better yet, the guy digiscoping you might even be a LEO out hunting on his off time, just sayin'.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Portage Valley, AK
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Turned in a few over the years. Reported a couple of doofuses that killed 2 sub legal bulls at the same time. When F&W followed up with them, they discovered they had poached a cow a few days earlier, and also over harvested black bears. My hunting partner casually took pics of them with their ill gotten animals.
    I have turned people in for wanton waste (left an entire carcass) and they paid the price. I'd turn my mom in for that (course she wouldn't do that but you get the point)
    Now days when I'm in the field, I use my camera or smart phone to grab a pic of anything that looks out of place. You get a time stamp along with the pic. Say you come back a day or 2 later and the ravens alert you to a carcass. Now you should have a pic of a vehicle, license plate, and maybe even....gasp...poachers. I keep a pad and pencil in the truck also, and take notes.
    Talking with other hunters you know that are in the same area can result in sharing of information that helps put the pieces together.
    That's the best way to get a handle on this stuff. F&W ain't gonna catch them on their own. Too much area to cover, and too few officers. We have got to be the eyes and ears. And Narcs too, I guess. Sucks to have to call somebody in, but if you don't make the call then don't expect too see your hunting area being over run with 50" plus bulls.
    Be proactive folks.
    Dido!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Poaching would only get you a slap on the wrist (unfortunately). Attacking someone will get you jail time.

    Or Kilt..................
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  12. #12
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Huh. If I were in the field, and someone came by and just started to take photos or video of my property, I'd be very inclined to kick them in the nuts as hard as I could, then disappear the camera memory.
    Brilliant idea... that'll fix everything...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  13. #13
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    I've witnessed a few minor violations over the years and let them go. Things like shooting sprucehen from the road and the like.
    At the time we didn't have cell phones or no cell service and by the end of the day we had usually forgotten anyway.
    Nowdays I have decided no matter how small the infraction I will either talk with the offending party or turn them in.
    Whether it is dipnetting infractions or hunting infractions or people running motorized vehicles in closed areas. Whatever it is I am not going to let it go anymore no matter how small.
    I have not witnessed any big game violations though. Certainly no poached moose. But I certainly couldn't let such a thing go even in the past.
    I have talked with a few people over the years to let them know they were in violation doing things like they were.
    But anymore we need to turn these people in or we won't have much fish/game left in some areas.
    We all have to do our part.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    167

    Default

    I turned in a poacher when I lived in WA state. I was doing some nuisance trapping for a farmer getting rid of beavers clogging his ditches. He had migrant workers living on the farm and one of them shot a massive 7x7 bull elk while out cutting some fields. I happen to be setting some traps when the whole thing went down. In WA they give you 10 preference points towards the draw for turning in and getting a conviction. I got a call from the Game Warden asking if I wanted Elk or Deer points. I chose deer. Still have the points and enough to draw a coveted tag, just need to validate spending the funds to hunt down there compared to chasing real critters up here :O) 30 inch Mulie would be nice, but I still like my Moose meat better. If we ever go to a points system here, I hope they do something similar. More guys would be turning people in if that were the case.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    I turned in a poacher when I lived in WA state. I was doing some nuisance trapping for a farmer getting rid of beavers clogging his ditches. He had migrant workers living on the farm and one of them shot a massive 7x7 bull elk while out cutting some fields. I happen to be setting some traps when the whole thing went down. In WA they give you 10 preference points towards the draw for turning in and getting a conviction. I got a call from the Game Warden asking if I wanted Elk or Deer points. I chose deer. Still have the points and enough to draw a coveted tag, just need to validate spending the funds to hunt down there compared to chasing real critters up here :O) 30 inch Mulie would be nice, but I still like my Moose meat better. If we ever go to a points system here, I hope they do something similar. More guys would be turning people in if that were the case.

    Put my points towards a Delta Bison, please.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  16. #16
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    I have someone driving into my farm property ( gated ) at about 1:30 AM and leaving at 2AM. Got two trail cam picks but no lic plate yet - I re-positioned two cameras and should catch them if they return. One night they were in a jeep, second night a car. I think they are shooting deer and leaving them - Have not found any dead yet but neighbor heard some shots... Grrrr
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •