Thread: BOF proposals relating to use of beads in fly fishing only waters

Default BOF proposals relating to use of beads in fly fishing only waters

Here are a couple proposals set to go before the BoF. Personally I never minded having to stick with flies when fishing the Russian, I have all fall to bead fish. I'm feeling indifferent, but leaning toward opposition of this regulation just to support diversity in fishing opportunity. I'm no purist- I like to catch fish through whatever legal means I can. But I'm not sure if I want bead fishermen nailing all the bows I'm trying to nymph for. I only refer to the Russian river fishery because it is the only one that will be affected in which I participate. I'm curious what other people have to say.

PROPOSAL 204 – 5 AAC 75.995. Definitions. Modify the definition of an artificial fly toinclude the use of a bare single hook, as follows:
    5 AAC 75.995(a)(1) is amended to read:
    (1) “artificial fly” means a fly that is constructed by common methods known as fly tying,including a dry fly, wet fly, and nymph, or a bare single hook, and that is free of bait as definedin (36) of this section; materials and chemicals designed and produced primarily to cause flies tofloat or sink may be used on artificial flies.
    What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? Current sport fishingregulations for waters where only artificial flies may be used are not clear regarding the use of barehooks. This proposal would broaden the definition of an artificial fly to include a bare hook. Thiswould clarify the regulation and allow it to be more easily understood by anglers and more easilyenforced by law enforcement.
    PROPOSED BY: Alaska Department of Fish and Game (HQ-F15-047)********************************************** ********************************
    PROPOSAL 205 – 5 AAC 75.020. Sport fishing gear. Clarify that a bead not attached to ahook is an attractor, and not a lure or fly, as follows:
    5 AAC 75.020(b) is amended to read:
    (b) An attractor (bead), when used with a fly, lure, or bare hook, must be either fixed withintwo inches of the bare hook, fly, or lure, or be free sliding on the line or leader. For the purposesof this subsection, a bead not attached to the hook is an attractor and may be used in waterswhere gear is limited to artificial lures or artificial flies [, NOT A FLY].

[IMG]file:///page4image24080[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///page4image24352[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///page4image24624[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///page4image24896[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///page4image25168[/IMG]

What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? The allowable uses of a beadwhen sport fishing are defined in sport fishing regulations. The current regulations state that a beadnot attached to a hook is an attractor and not a fly. This has been incorrectly interpreted that when abead is fished and not attached to an artificial fly it is then a artificial lure. This has also causedconfusion in waters where only artificial flies may be used, since some anglers do use a bead with afly as permitted in regulation. The proposed addition clarifies the use of a bead with a artificial flyor a artificial lure, clarifies the regulation, and allows it to be more easily understood by all anglers.
    PROPOSED BY: Alaska Department of Fish and Game (HQ-F15-048)********************************************** ********************************

It all boils down to the fact that "purist" fly fisherman hate that every day fisherman can catch fish just as easily as them using beads. The popularity of bead fishing is enormous, and most are saying that the trout fishing on the Kenai is better than ever with success rates through the roof.

I don't like this proposal. Its a slippery slope and I can see it being applied to the entire river eventually. And for what? Because it makes average fisherman better?

Edit: After re-reading these proposals, it is my understanding that they are intended to be "Statewide" not just the Russian. Which puts me squarely in the no thank you camp....

I would have been one of the people using a fly and bead on a bait casters for silver at the Russian. It's shouldn't matter what rod you use as long as you are using a fly. I think they should either rename the fly fishing only area on the Russian or take it away because it's dumb to say you can only get fish on a fly with a fly rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cariboumaster View Post
    I would have been one of the people using a fly and bead on a bait casters for silver at the Russian. It's shouldn't matter what rod you use as long as you are using a fly. I think they should either rename the fly fishing only area on the Russian or take it away because it's dumb to say you can only get fish on a fly with a fly rod.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Currently it doesn't matter what kind of rod/reel you use, only that your offering be a "fly". This is referring to "fly fish-only waters".
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    It all boils down to the fact that "purist" fly fisherman hate that every day fisherman can catch fish just as easily as them using beads.
    I disagree with this statement as I don't think it was purist fly fisherman that originally pushed for the reg.

I wouldn't support this proposal. A bare hook is not a fly, and neither is a bead. Tie the two together somehow and now you've got yourself a "fly" as defined in the current regs, which can legally be used in "fly fish-only waters". If you want peg a bead above a bare hook in the Russian River, Sanctuary, and down to the powerlines during the "fly fish-only waters" time frame (June 11-Aug 20), maybe propose to abolish the "fly fish-only waters" reg.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    PROPOSED BY: Alaska Department of Fish and Game (HQ-F15-048)********************************************** ********************************
    If this is really put out by ADF&G to alleviate confusion amongst anglers, I believe it fails to do so. Any more info bigfish as to which area staff or bio is proposing this?

Have to admit, my reaction was probably knee jerk. I have heard a lot of rumor flying around this summer about ideas to ban beads...so my hackles were raised as soon as I saw these props.

After reading them more carefully it appears the proposals are trying to clarify what is a fly and to include bare hooks in that definition, and also that fishing beads pegged over bare hooks would be legal in fly fishing only waters if adopted.

Sorry folks my initial reaction was way off base.

"I disagree with this statement as I don't think it was purist fly fisherman that originally pushed for the reg.

I wouldn't support this proposal. A bare hook is not a fly, and neither is a bead. Tie the two together somehow and now you've got yourself a "fly" as defined in the current regs, which can legally be used in "fly fish-only waters". If you want peg a bead above a bare hook in the Russian River, Sanctuary, and down to the powerlines during the "fly fish-only waters" time frame (June 11-Aug 20), maybe propose to abolish the "fly fish-only waters" reg."

Page 7 in the regs has me thinking that a bead rig is not a fly:
    Use of attractor (bead): An attractor (bead) when used with a fly, lure, or bare hook, must be:
    • either fixed within two inches of the fly, lure, or bare hook,
    • or be free sliding on the line or leader.
    • For the purposes of this regulation, a bead not at- tached to the hook is an attractor, not a fly.
    • A bead fished on the line above a bare hook is not legal gear in fly-fishing-only waters.

I'm also curious why ADF&G put this out. Department comments on statewide BoF proposals will come out by Feb. 1 and that will shed more light. In thinking about this more, I'm definitely against it. Plenty of bead fishing opportunity exists in my area and its nice to have some fly fishing only area. Sharpens the skillz.

Horribly scripted proposal... reducing/eliminating confusion? YGTBFK, right?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong (imagine that!) but why doesn't ADFG just say what they want to accomplish in plain spoken English.... we want to legalize pegged beads in ALL waters. DONE!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

This proposal would essentially make rollcasting and swinging bare hooks through a school of salmon = flyfishing.

Serially?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD