Thread: Anyone In Fairbanks Area Willing To Show Me How To Gunsmith?

Default Anyone In Fairbanks Area Willing To Show Me How To Gunsmith?

Is there anyone in the Fairbanks area willing to show me how to gunsmith? I am 18 and currently live in Cantwell and next fall I am moving up to Fairbanks. I have no machinist skills but would love to learn some. I am even interested in none machinist work like just learning the internal mechanisms of different weapon systems. So if anyone is interested in showing me a few things please feel free to post a response on this thread or send me a PM.

okay, I will be kind enough to offer you my insight since you posted this question 2 was ago. First, no one has time to teach perse' as time is money. Due to a zero skil level you're probability messing up more than what is could take place, hence more money. Most of us who have owned many rifles/handguns pick up knowledge thru our invested smiths and learn from sharing problems/repairs. Our firearms are like our kids, pretty particular about them and many take offense if handled wrong. Trinidad offers I believe the study of "smithin"...... Safe, practical and logical. just my 02

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    okay, I will be kind enough to offer you my insight since you posted this question 2 was ago. First, no one has time to teach perse' as time is money. Due to a zero skil level you're probability messing up more than what is could take place, hence more money. Most of us who have owned many rifles/handguns pick up knowledge thru our invested smiths and learn from sharing problems/repairs. Our firearms are like our kids, pretty particular about them and many take offense if handled wrong. Trinidad offers I believe the study of "smithin"...... Safe, practical and logical. just my 02
    Yea a lot of truth there. I was on the phone with a gunsmith friend in Maine talking about an order of actions I shipped him when he yelled the "S" word, tossed the phone and was gone. A couple hours later he called me back and explained he had taken on his sister's kid as an apprentice and said apprentice had crashed the cross slide of the lathe into the chuck jaw and destroyed a $1000 chuck, $2000 customer's custom receiver.

Still, I would be happy to teach the right person if they came along here.

Best advice for the OP would be to suck it up and go to a good gunsmithing school. Yavapai Collage in Prescott AZ runs a very good school, fully accreted and financeable.
    https://www.yc.edu/v5content/academi...c/gunsmithing/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Lassen Community College in Susanville California. Its closer to Reno, Nevada than anywhere else.