Thread: My latest horse trade!

Default My latest horse trade!

I was at the local Thiesen's Farm and Home store yesterday buying screws when an old acquaintance and I bumped into each other. He was looking at traps. He told me that he had an issue at his place with a woodchuck family. He said he only had a couple of single shot shotguns and couldn't get close enough with them. He had looked at the 22 rifles that were on hand at the store but they they had no 22 ammo and one isn't much good without the other. Beside $250 was the going price on the cheapest 22 in the store and that was minus a scope. He was thinking 40 years ago and said he remembered when a good 22 would bring $50....he couldn't justify $250. He asked if I had a 22 that I could lone him and of course I did. He then asked if I would be interested in trading a 22 for one or both of his single shot shotguns. He couldn't remember for sure but thought that they were both H&R's. I invited him to come pick up a 22 and said bring the scatter guns and maybe we can work a trade. It turned out that one was a Topper 58 12 gauge in rough condition. The other one weren't no shotgun but rather a 45-70 in real nice shape. It was the somewhat older model with the scnabbled fore end. I happily swapped a Remington 597 with a 4x12 adj obj Simmons and a brick of Wild Cats for the 45-70.

I dunno what you guys think of the old H&R break action rifles but I really like them. I don't know why......I just do. I have a twin to it in 30-30 that I haven't shot in 10 years and have been offered fair money for it but for some reason I feel a loyalty to that gun and always turn down even the good offers for it. I could fulfill all of my hunting needs with these two guns if I took a mind to.

Anyone else have a soft spot for these old once shooters?

I have a several H&R firearms. They are perfect firearms for my caching projects. Sadly Remington has quit producing the H&R line for now, so they are getting harder to find new. I am very fond of the Survivor line of H&R firearms. I got the last .45 Long Colt/.410 survivor that VF Grace Co. had in inventory about three months ago.

I am a fan of the one shooters. I have a new H&R (NEF I think) in 22KH and an extra barrel in 30/30. The 30/30 is shooting cast boolits at about 1 1/2" at 100yds. Not long ago I picked up an old Savage 219 one shooter in 22H. I bid on an extra barrel for it on flea bay in 25/20 but it ended up selling for $405 which was about $250 higher than I was willing to go. I like old guns but dang, they just aren't worth that to me. Wouldn't mind having that 45/70 if you ever get tired of it. I just bought a 12ga barrel for the Savage 219 that I'm going to stub off and fit for a rifle barrel like maybe a 256 Win. Anyway, yeah, I like the old one shooters. I'd like to have a baby martini in 25/20 or 32/20 or a Win high or low wall. Too many guns and not enough money.

I like them a lot. The newer ones with the harden frame were very stout guns.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I like them a lot. The newer ones with the harden frame were very stout guns.
    Both of mine say SB2 on the frame. Aren't those the good ones? I had one of the straight grip true walnut stocked ones in 45 colt. I think they called it the Buffalo carbine or something like that. I bought it new about 5 years ago. I bought it on clearance for $299 and an old Buddy badgered me into selling it to him. Now it's gone forever. It had nice checkering and fine sights. Maybe the short barrel had something to do with it but I could see those sights real good and I could shoot it real good. At that time Iowa DNR was considering allowing straight walled rifle cartridges for deer season. Where I hunt deer one shot is all your going to get and you have to be tuned in with your head on a swivel to get that and being deaf as a door knob don't help.

That little 45 is very high on my list of gun regrets.

Yep the SB2 is the strong one. Just sold my 45colt buffalo classic that I re chambered for 454casull
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I don't know anything about H&R's, but it sounds like a nice boom stick. Like the cal muchly.

Single shots are real handy. I like them because they tend to be a nice trim package to carry and pretty darned near idiot proof (always a plus with me).

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have ONE, and that's enough. Of course, mine is a little bit different, and purtier, after Andy fixed it up.

It's in for repair for the 3rd time now. (Transfer bar broke, Firing pin broke, Hammer drags on the transfer bar.

Mine maybe gets shot more than normal, say 24 rounds a week, for most weeks in the year.

IMO, these contraptions are cheaply made with cheap parts, and will not hold up if you shoot'em a lot.

Smitty of the North
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I can see you are still functioning, my friend. Yeah, I've had a few H&R singles. Absolutely basic working guns, and they do. I had a 30-30 and a .22 Hornet that put three in 1 1/4" at 100. Amazed the heck out of me. New book coming out soon, BTW. Best so far, not a Caraway adventure. Stay good.