Thread: Anyone willing to help me tune my recurve...

Default Anyone willing to help me tune my recurve...

Just got back into shooting a recurve and it has been many years since I have tuned one. Also I was curious if anyone had some extra beaver balls laying around that I could use as silencers?

Willing to meet up and shoot to tune on or off of JBER.

Thanks,

David

David,

I would help if I could, but my luck (and MOS) got me stuck at Wainwright. I have a couple recurves that I shoot regularly, and tuning is as much as you make it. If you are having any trouble, there is a fantastic manual out there for tuning a recurve. Search "recurve tuning guide" in google, the site will be "PDF Archer's reference guide (recurve)". It is primarily based off of olympic archery, but it is specifically for recurve, and the majority of it will apply to hunting recurves as well. Don't be afraid to make your own strings for your recurve either, it explains how to build the jig, and it is very simple to build an endless loop string. That way you can get exactly what kind of sting you want without having to send out for a custom string, and hope your bow shoots correctly with the length you asked.

I hope this helps.

Dan

As well, the fur silencers are great for looks, but rubber skirts handle much better. Some stick on velcro (the soft side) placed where the string contacts teh limbs does wonders too...
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

go to barnes and noble and find Byron Fergusons book...he has a pretty dang good section on tuning. So does Fred Asbell in his first instinctive shooting book.

Do some digging on tradgang, you'll find a pile of tuning info (and forums) on doing just this.

OL Adcock uses a method of bare shaft planning, but I prefer to start off bare shafting first....and use the planning method to confirm fletched vs bare shafts fly the same (group wise) and than fletched field points to fletched broadheads group. Once you get here you'll be spot on.

SOme things on tuning is tuning yourself. Unlike wheels every 1" of draw is appx 3lbs. Practice your form regularly now it will pay dividends in the years to come!

Stop by Eds place at Alaska bowhunters supply...he's on the hill in south anchorage, its out of his house, he can give you a pile of help.

To add onto Tradbow's, another site I've found very informative is tradbow.com.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Leatherwall from stick bow is a good resource also.most important info on this thread though was train yourself... I don't say that as a get lost buddy kinda thing, I say it as a get lost in your bow kinda thing. I have to shoot every day if I want to be halfway decent. I can grab my compound bow and hit a tennis ball at a distance far greater than I'd i ever attempt to shoot an animal. The joy is in the practice, but the websites and books offered will help you manage your equipment, the rest is up to you.

Here's a good video on tuning. In particular bare shafting arrows. there's some other nuances you'll learn that Ken doesn't talk about later on...the goofy up and downs.

watch this...its free!

I did forget Byron Ferguson also has a good video on tuning as well.

And do everything ONE STEP AT A TIME! by that I mean, make 1 and ONLY 1 adjustment until you learn how to jump around.

Anyways here's Kens video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJ6-HjPMTM