Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the sheep hunting stories?

Default Where are the sheep hunting stories?

Usually by now there are a good 6 or 7 sheep hunts posted with nice write-ups and photos.
    Were people less successful this year or are they still going to post something?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

A lot of folks have given up posting stories due to the knuckleheads who spout off making accusations about illegal activity.

Ok, well that is too bad.

Default Where are the sheep hunting stories?

Perhaps some have, but I think we still have a pretty solid community of folks willing to share. From my end, it was a painfully slow season. Early start to work, snow on opening day didn't help, and only a couple weekends that I could realistically get away. Made a try for goats last weekend, but that didn't work out either. Have lots of great pictures and memories from this season, but the freezer has certainly looked better in the past.

There were a few good sheep stories posted earlier this season. Scroll through a few pages - they're there.

this last winter i think really scarred some of the members here as to sheep hunting information, this forum really went off the deep end on sheep topics and it feels different now, threads are less specific and fewer and rarer. seems to be that way with almost all threads on successfull hunts.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I know of a couple of bruisers that were taken this August; one was 42" and a beauty. Hat's off to the hunter, who took that ram the hard way, on foot with no advance scouting. I should have some photos soon, and will post them when I get them. I was not guiding that hunter, but a friend of mine was. I'll see if he can post it, but he's still out chasing bears right now.

I agree with Brian; it was a different season this year, with lots of rain in September (instead of August, which was fantastic in our part of the state).

I hear you, Jake, but would qualify that it wasn't the forums per se, but a handful of members that spent so much time and energy on what's WRONG with sheep hunting in Alaska, without posting much on what's RIGHT about it. We've done that; let's move on to the stories! I know they're out there! And keep in mind that a lot of folks are still out there hunting and even fishing still. It's not time to put all the gear away yet!

Hmmm... it's been a while since I've hunted the sheep mountains, and I think I might have one or two left in me...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The main reason I visit this forum is to read the hunting stories, view the pics, and maybe learn a thing or two. There certainly are fewer hunting stories lately which is too bad. Because I like to read them I give back when I can:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...unt?highlight=

I'll second what a previous poster mentioned, I've had enough ridiculous responses that I've scaled back my participation in the hunting threads in particular quite a bit, much less bother posting new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To many armchair troopers on this forum. Why post and then get ridiculed for your hunt.
    Like others have said I like to participate on this forum, give personal experience and hope to learn a thing or two while reading. But as far as hunting stories I'll pass. Thanks.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Notice only the moderators chime in to post about their hunts ... Corroborates what others are saying about information sharing. My friend and I got some very nice Rams this year, but don't expect a detailed story.

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Notice only the moderators chime in to post about their hunts ... Corroborates what others are saying about information sharing. My friend and I got some very nice Rams this year, but don't expect a detailed story.

If that ram on the left is full curl I'll eat my socks.
    I also see tracks in the sand that appear to be from felt soled boots.

Seriously though, those are a couple of awesome rams, and that country is beautiful.
    I probably wouldn't even mention which GMU if I was you.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    If that ram on the left is full curl I'll eat my socks.
    I also see tracks in the sand that appear to be from felt soled boots.
    HAHAHA i almost thought that was serious for a second... Thought about responding "Hope you're not wearing those spendy Kuiu ones cuz they're pretty tough, and that thing goes alllll the way around!"

Decent season for us. Not many rams this fall, (saw 4 legals) one ran into a .308 bullet, another dodged, the last two will be around next fall.

LOTS of lambs this fall. I would say that I saw probably 80% of ewes with lambs, and we saw probably 50 or more lambs. I'm hoping for a couple more warm winters!

I don't think its just this forum with the lack of sharing, I think in general most hunting sites have had a lot less participation than in years past. I think there are too many media outlets, good or bad, which allow people to share and go on about their business.

In speaking with a person who does sheep counts for the Feds, the warm rainy weather up north caused sheet ice to form on the rocks and slides. That was very bad for the sheep population in that large area.

Here are some of the sheep reports that were shared this year. Sure, there are some negative comments now and then, but personally I just let that roll off my back. Why give those people the power to shut down the joyful sharing of stories and pictures? There are a couple members here who nitpick every single story I share, but that's not going to change the fact that I enjoy sharing my experiences and reading of the experiences of other members on here.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...nd-Archery-Tag

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ffort-for-2015

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...015-Sheep-Hunt

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...8-My-First-Ram

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eat-Sheep-Hunt

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...7-DCUA-success

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...other-DCUA-Ram

Lance Kronberger of Freelance Outdoor Adventures had 2 clients harvest absolute monsters this year in 14c I have pictures of both Rams but I can't post them to this thread for some reason.?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the other one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akteach View Post
    lance kronberger of freelance outdoor adventures had 2 clients harvest absolute monsters this year in 14c i have pictures of both rams but i can't post them to this thread for some reason.?
    wowzer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap what are the measurements on that last one?!
    Not all those who wander, are lost.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast