Thread: Freighter canoe handling

Default Freighter canoe handling

I am thinking of getting a Maine Freighter/HB next spring and am wondering about the handling in Class 1-2 water in medium sized rivers. Are they difficult to control with a 9.8 hp engine and oars? One place I would use it has about 50' of water approaching class 2, and I would go up and then down it. Another place is a class 1 river flowing 500-1500 cfs and maybe 75-100' across, but with a couple of tighter turns. This second river would be drifting down only, controlled by oars. Any insights anyone has would be appreciated.

If you can row a boat well in current, it will be no problem. The oar locks on my old Scott HB were worthless, they canted inward and pressure on oars made them lift up.

Grew up running drift boats, your long skinny boat does not handle like a drift boat but will do ok if you get used to it. Practice in mild current going back and forth, not that wide of boat so about a 7 ft oar would be max without extended oar locks.

I always wanted oars for a backup if the motor quit or damaged a prop in current.

Barkley Sound Oar and Paddle in B.C. has some nice 5/8 inch oarlock sockets that work well on a HB.

Ok thanks!

to turn A canoe ?? all depends on the power applied , at the time, an how fast you want it turned it, an how wide the river is at that point going down,
    not much of a problem, but coming back up can be a pain in the *****, might have to walk it [ how shallow the water is an speed ]
    SID

The best way that I have found to travel all rivers of Alaska and to do it cheap on fuel easy to control is a Duck boat 18 foot in length and max width is 52 inches bottom width that is. 37 hp EFI Backwater long tail motor. Great on fuel and durable as they come the sport drives are good as well but good luck if ya have clutch issues in the bush. I have run the Go Devils and the Mud Buddys sport drives. The long tail made by Backwaterinc. is the best I have found. Little Su Big Su carrying a Moose works great. Fuel efficient as they come. My suggestion is to run a 20 foot trailer to reach off into the rivers also easier to see when backing into some of the tight spots.

AS DickUs said where he goes it is great. it all depends on the water you are going to travel on tight turns ,how fast you are traveling
    wide open water no rocks or sweepers , an how deep the water is on the turn, it all counts, SID