Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate change and seaducks

Default Climate change and seaducks

It's time to start taking climate change seriously,especially concerning waterfowl. Where we used to able to harvest divers/ seaducks in decent numbers in Oct. has moved into Nov. effectively shortening our season for these birds.
    I would like to see the North Gulf Coast unit at least moved up to the later opening/ closure that South East has (sept 16- Dec31) or even later to be inline with Kodiak, and the Aleutians, (October. 8 - Jan.22) or somewhere in between.
    Even if you don't believe in climate change here are changes going on with our waterfowl that are making them migrate later every year, at least along the coast. Going to write a proposal to the Feds after I get as much feedback as possible.
    Buck

Just an update after talking with Fish and Game. A split season is not probable because of Fed regs for Ak. A later opening / closure like South East is the most promising proposal. Have to have some support for this for the State to take to the Feds, as in local Advisory Councils and AWA etc. the next cycle for proposals for the Feds will be sept 2016.

Have you talked with the guys at AWA about this? I think that you might have some mixed responses because there are a lot of puddle duck hunters around Las Anchorage and Fairbanks. Changing the traditional September 1 duck opener might get some push back.

I'm with you though. It seems like the seaducks are less and less in mid October compared to what they used to be just 6 or 7 years ago.

I'd be game for it if it's just the sea duck season that is pushed back sea ducks don't really pick up till after October anyways. Other states break up ducks and goose season so we might be able to break up puddle and sea duck hunts. If we did that it would extend our season. If it includes all of the ducks puddle ducks included count me out of supporting this proposal

Living like kings

They won't allow a split season, pushing back just seaducks can't extend our season because we are only allowed 107 days regardless. So, even if we started later, would still have to end on Dec 16th, unless the beginning of the season was started later. Fairbanks would not be involved as it is in the Northern unit. North gulf coast ends at Anchorage units 14 and 16

I wouldn't be for starting the season for puddle ducks any later than September one in south central. The season is short enough as is. Most years we are froze up by end of October.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I wouldn't be for starting the season for puddle ducks any later than September one in south central. The season is short enough as is. Most years we are froze up by end of October.
    Ditto for interior Alaska. A later season does me no good.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Yeah I'm not in favor of it either. I like hunting both sea ducks and puddle ducks but if w the pushed the season back our puddle duck hunting would take a big hit in length of time since most ducks are headed south by October.

Living like kings

Still trying to figure out why anyone wants to shoot those nasty tasting ducks anyway. I'll keep my puddle ducks, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksducks View Post
    It's time to start taking climate change seriously,especially concerning waterfowl. Where we used to able to harvest divers/ seaducks in decent numbers in Oct. has moved into Nov. effectively shortening our season for these birds.
    I would like to see the North Gulf Coast unit at least moved up to the later opening/ closure that South East has (sept 16- Dec31) or even later to be inline with Kodiak, and the Aleutians, (October. 8 - Jan.22) or somewhere in between.
    Even if you don't believe in climate change here are changes going on with our waterfowl that are making them migrate later every year, at least along the coast. Going to write a proposal to the Feds after I get as much feedback as possible.
    Buck
    don't agree at all with the idea that the ducks stay around until mid nov in south central. i have hunted lots of years and if the ice doesn't chase them south by the second half of oct, they up and leave on their own, even if freeze up doesn't occur. i'm sure there are still some ducks around the marshes now, but less numbers every day, and still no ice to speak of. i've wished for the ice to stay away many years and find the end of oct stll has open water, and no ducks to speak of. sure, its a bit different each season depending on weather changes for that year, but from what i've seen, they are long gone by the end of oct. in addition, not a lot of interest from me as far as sea ducks. Bud
    Wasilla

He is talking sea ducks/divers on the ocean. Not the Palmer hay flats.

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

The other hard part is that getting out into the sound or seward is more hit and miss the later in the year the worse the weather gets. I hunted seaducks out of homer one year. Wife and I got a B&B in homer that was real nice. We did day trips across the bay. One day we were very lucky to make it back to the nice cozy B&B due to the weather. We were also lucky to still be alive at the end of that day. For me - I guess that is the only December sea duck hunt I have done. We usually go a couple times in Oct and Nov.

I have notcied last few years in Whitter the sea ducks are showing up later then before.
    December is fantastic for sea ducks. But with the weather, the season comes to an end all to soon. I wish the season would end at the end of Dec.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

After yesterday's adventure I think that mid October is pretty good for seaduckin.

The birds have really filled out in the last couple weeks. All of these birds were shot over decoys. 6 species (2 mergies and 1 widgeon not in the photo).

Commons

Surfs

Awesome hunt. Must be PWS

It actually started out really slow in a spot I thought we would do good in. After a couple moves we ended up with lots of feet down in the deeks. It takes time to learn how the birds fly. They decoy easy, but you have to be in the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    It actually started out really slow in a spot I thought we would do good in. After a couple moves we ended up with lots of feet down in the deeks. It takes time to learn how the birds fly. They decoy easy, but you have to be in the right spot.
    Helps when you have a guy on the team that has hunted those bays a couple of few times.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

You knew the X on that one!. We had come close to figuring it out. Seems every spot is different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast