Thread: Chalk up one Newfie Moose to the Venerable 358Win!

Default Chalk up one Newfie Moose to the Venerable 358Win!

Well, on day one of a moose hunt my son and a good friend just finished up on " The Rock ", I got to put my 250 gr NP bullets to the test on a very quickly departing bull! Two in the boiler room at about 80 yards with both exiting the front between shoulder and brisket!
    The next day I was cleaning the skull plate by the lake and two splashes happened in the water nearby - pretty sure that was the rounds finally coming in for a landing!
    Love that little thumper to carry and shoot!
    We wWent three for three in three days! Great 12 day trip, beautiful place....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

What was the rifle, Smokey? A rebore?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    What was the rifle, Smokey? A rebore?

Nope, it is one of the last Ruger Hawkeyes made in 358 - it showed up one day on my porch from some outlaw in Iowa that drops in here to toot his horn on occasion! I am blessed to have good friends! Owe ya a moose steak EKC, my friend for sure!!!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Here ya go Sayak, rifles leaning up against a rock left many moons ago by glaciers. Note taped bbls, luckily I had mine done as soon as I left camp as on the stalk I fell and buried it about 6 inches deep in a bog...

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

Nope, it is one of the last Ruger Hawkeyes made in 358 - it showed up one day on my porch from some outlaw in Iowa that drops in here to toot his horn on occasion! I am blessed to have good friends! Owe ya a moose steak EKC, my friend for sure!!!
    You're a lucky man in more than one way.

Gotta love the round. No magnum in the name and nothing whizzbang about the velocities, but it just goes right on killing and killing.

Kinda funny that the rifles don't sell well enough to keep making, yet every time one goes out of production everybody in the world wishes they had one. Makes me glad I got mine back in the day, and yeah. They're in very good gun safes! I recommend the same for yours, and no. Don't ever sell it. You'll be kicking yourself every day if you do.

Nice meese Smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Gotta love the round. No magnum in the name and nothing whizzbang about the velocities, but it just goes right on killing and killing.

Kinda funny that the rifles don't sell well enough to keep making, yet every time one goes out of production everybody in the world wishes they had one. Makes me glad I got mine back in the day, and yeah. They're in very good gun safes! I recommend the same for yours, and no. Don't ever sell it. You'll be kicking yourself every day if you do.
    I was surprised BB when guide said I was the second hunter in his camp this fall toting a 358winny.. He said all the locals use 308's and 243's, but was impressed with the 358 for sure...

Yes, it has no magnum to it, therefore, it must not be powerful enough. You must have magnum and camo, anything other and you aren't really an outdoorsman, dontcha know.
    I was in Dawson during moose season and was surprised to see no hunters in camo. Seemed so strange being from Alaska where everybody (including me) wears the stuff year-round. I guess the Canucks missed the memo.

My next AR-10 Upper is going to be .358 Winchester chambered.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I guess the Canucks missed the memo.
    More likely, they spend their time hunting rather than watching high fashion sales events called hunting shows!

More likely, they spend their time hunting rather than watching high fashion sales events called hunting shows!
    I was paying for gas (and getting some yummy Canadian candy bars that we don't have in the US) and here were guys in the store with old fashioned sheath knives and olive wool pants and plaid shirts. It was reminiscent of Alaska in the 60s and 70s. Almost nostalgic. That is wonderful game country! They even have mulies moving in now.

Yeah. Bud of mine up here only wears olive wool pants and a plaid red wool jacket, both from Woolrich, and Maine hunting boots on about their 10th set of lowers. If anything, he kills more game than the rest of us, whether it's deer, moose or elk. Funny thing too, he carries a beat up old open sighted 06 of some make (Remington?) and his binoculars were bought over 20 years ago at Longs Drugs, on sale for less than $100. He's never reloaded a shell in his life and buys his ammo based on whatever is cheapest. But man, can that guy HUNT. Kinda discouraging for the technoweenie best-of-everything crew he hunts with.

The Newfanlanders are still old school when it comes to gear and cloths, nothing fancy, lots of wool, and grab whatever ammo is in stock....
    My guide was pretty happy though when I handed him my brand new H/Hansen rain gear as part of a tip! He wears that brand when fishing for lobster and crab... I was a little surprised to see the best pair of binocs all three guides had was an old pair of Bushnell 7 x 35's. I think good glass is one of the better investments a hunter can make... That and a gift for the wife to return home with!

I posted more pics and story under the Out and About part of this forum you may enjoy...

Sorry I'm slow to respond Smoke! I've been a recluse for most of the last 3 days....feeling purdy tough.

You can't top 3 for three. You created some memories for your son that will be with him long after you become a turd in the woods. We will get together one of these days and you can tell it to me minute by minute.

I have had several 358s over the years but my favorite is my old Ruger 77 RS with a factory 20 inch barrel. Its one that I plan to keep until I become a turd in the woods.

We will let you recuperate from the Newfee trip for a while then we shall see what 45-70s do to bufflers.

EKC, that's a lot better than your first suggestion of donning native headdresses, wearing loincloths, and using spears to hunt Buff!

Congrats on the moose! I loose track of all the moose that get crumpled in their tracks, to the 358 winchester. It's not surprising that the bullets excited. There are a few bands of my tribe in Newfoundland, it's rich country, lotta moose.

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. I hope to make it there for a moose hunt someday.

Nice moose. I love Newfoundland but I'm a bit bias seein I was born n raised on the rock. Newfies tend to go traditional and are sometimes stubborn about new gear or high tech gear lol. Tend to stick with what works and won't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk