Thread: Best Whitewater Trips Outside

Default Best Whitewater Trips Outside

What are some of your favorite whitewater trips outside AK? Day trips or multi day. US or international.

i just returned from a couple of days on the Gualey in West Virginia. The Army Corp of Engineers releases water over 6 weekends in September/October. When it's Gauley Season it's some of the best class V anywhere. I was impressed and had a blast. I highly reccomend a trip to the Gauley if you are in the area.

Some carnage videos for your entertainment. http://youtu.be/in_IljcX4Jo

Three day Wild and Scenic Rogue River is a classic! A tributary of the Rogue, the Illinois is also a three day trip and has some Class V water. I have done the Rogue about 50 times, and the Illinois twice

Colorado River through GC is my favorite. Middle Fork Salmon a close second.

Multi day;
    1. Lower Rogue
    2. Snake River
    3. middle fork flathead

Day trips;
    1. SF Payette river
    2. stillwater river
    3. umpqua river
    4. Beartrap canyon-madison river

It depends on what class you are wanting to run and where. My favorite multi day is the lower Rogue. Great beaches, warm water, and fun but non technical rapids (other than blossom bar)

The Stillwater in May to early June is a blast. Miles of 2+ to 3+ rapids. It's my favorite river due to the constant action. Just remember pfds..
    Water is cold!

Beartrap canyon is the scariest run (for me). Be only run it once at 1200 cfs but it was technical and still big. I would go with someone that's done the run before. Short run with only one notable rapid.

My dream trip is the Selway. Haven't drawn a permit yet. Hopefully I'll get a mf salmon permit this year. I'm sure both those rivers would be my #1 choice, I just havent had an opportunity to run them yet.

I guided with a bunch of guys from the SE part of the lower 48. The Gauley as mentioned before always had tales of carnage and genuine fun. The Chattooga was another one that came up a lot. I'd sure love to run that river someday if I ever make it down to the Georgia/S.Carolina border.

I've also heard good things about the Green River's "Gates of Ladore" section.

The one I want to run the most, is Cherry Creek (Upper Tuolumne) just west of Yosemite. Youtube that creek!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    The one I want to run the most, is Cherry Creek (Upper Tuolumne) just west of Yosemite. Youtube that creek!

Yup. That's on my list too if California ever gets water again.

I think Cherry Creek, Upper Gauley, and Gore Canyon on the upper Colorado are about tops for commercially run class V sections in the US. I gotta hand it to the guides that run class V. They never know what kind of crew they get for the day and whether the even have a grasp of English.....especially when it counts. "I SAID BACK LEFT FORWARD RIGHT....oh $h1t!"

I have rafted several rivers in the states and many in Costa Rica. I prefer Costa Rica, it is in part the rivers, but it is the guides who steal the show. If you want a thrill, they will deliver, they are not afraid to swim for sure, if you have kids, they do a great job with keeping things together.
    Our next trip may be New Zealand, we have been eyeing the 22 foot drop they do in rafts, kids think it may be fun. we are also wanting to try some boogy boards on class IV over there, sounds down right entertaining.
    In states, try the White Salmon, it has a 12 foot waterfall that is a hoot in a raft.

Alaska is cool, but rafting in warm places is so much fun.

I’ve done some trips Idaho and Montana that were pretty sweet. The permit section of the Main Salmon has Hawaii like beaches and big waves. The Middle Fork of the Salmon has fun, technical rapids and lots of cool things to do around camp (fishing, swimming, hot springs, etc). South Fork of the Payette has a number of super cool day trips, especially the Canyon Section. I looked at the North Fork of the Payette and it is as rowdy as it gets. The Selway is now on the top of my to do list.

Below is a trip my wife and I did this summer on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. Although it was low water, the trip did not disappoint, and it provided a lot of opportunities to assist people with wrapped boats. I did not break the camera out until midway through the trip when there was more water. At the 4:00 mark of the video my wife and I are leaving camp super early to make our shuttle, so we had the river to ourselves. It was one of my best river days ever. Here is my rookie attempt with the Go Pro and You Tube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY1yqBFdCu8

Internationally, I’d like to row is the Futaleufú. It would also be cool to go to Africa and Russia. The logistics of doing a private international raft trip are mind boggling to me.

Awesome video. It looks like the weather could not have been any better. I've seen some crazy Russian rafting videos. Those guys are pushing the boundaries of what can be done in an inflatable.

Great video. Looked like an excellent trip with good people. Beer, rafting and cribbage. What's not to love?

The main salmon and its tributaries in Idaho is pretty cool....

Also Grande Ronde and John Day in in NE Oregon.

The Lochsa in Idaho around Memorial Day. Spring melt off flows, so the river changes almost daily. Camp at Three Rivers and shuttle up river. Multiple length runs. People there are friendly and having a great time, easy enough to hook up with a group to chase down the river if it's your first time. Big, fast, cold water, moving the sticks all the time kinda place. Definitely not a sit back, drink a beer while you float kind of river.Portrait Lochsa Falls 2006.jpgIn Lochsa Falls 2006.jpg

The Lochsa sprang to mind when I saw the title of this thread... Never got around to floating it when I lived in the neighborhood, but have never forgotten it. Maybe someday.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist