Thread: Moose Hunting GMU 11

Default Moose Hunting GMU 11

Hi guys, Im new to this site and am starting the research for a few upcoming moose hunts. My buddies and I are planning a DIY drop hunt out of bethel. Really excited for this trip! We've already had the opportunity to meet with our outfitter Steve Powers of Papa Bear Adventures and have spoke with several people who have hunted with him. Everyone has great things to say about his operation.

My wife and I are also planning a road trip to alaska next fall and I was considering picking up a moose tag for area 11. My wife enjoys hunting with me in Colorado as well and has taken a few animals herself and also thought it would be fun to spend a few days looking for a legal moose. Although i have never packed out a moose I do alot of backcountry archery elk hunting in colorado and wyoming and have packed lots of elk out of some nasty areas, a few on my own so im familiar with that process. That being said, this would certainly be my first moose pack out (if successful) and could use a few tips. Im curious if anyone is familiar with the Mccarthy road between Chitina and Mccarthy? Ive done some research on this stretch of road and there are some areas we can camp and do some fishing as well. I would be hunting strictly from the roads or anywhere i can get in with my truck. Im certainly not asking anyone to give up there hunting spots just wondering if I am looking at a decent spot to harvest a legal animal. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Land ownership is convoluted along the McCarthy road with intermixed state, private, National Park, and National Preserve land. Get a good land status map before you go. No specific advice on where to find a legal moose along the road.

Chisana, thanks for the info! I will be buying the alaska huntingGPSmaps chip for the garmin as well as a few specific topo maps of the area. The Garmin chips shows exact borders of public and private lands. There are a few trail heads that I plan to explore outside of Chitina on the Mcarthy Rd. Im also trying to figure out what lands allow hunting. Is hunting permitted on the National Preserve and National Parks land? Thanks again!