Thread: Opinions saught for boat/outboard

Default Opinions saught for boat/outboard

So I'm researching boats to get. I'm kind of in a hard spot because I think I really need two different boats. Seriously. I know a boat with a cabin is in the future and I am eyeballing a wool ridge with a 150 jet but it is slightly out of my budget at the moment. Not to mention my wife will be delivering our third child this upcoming spring. I think I have one more year to save up for that boat with a cabin (she will wait until baby is 1 to 2 before taking out).
    I currently own a 13' Achilles with a 25 hp2 stroke and this could be my hunting rig but I really don't want to cross the bay (Bristol) in it. I'd like to get a flat bottom for the rivers but not the best platform on the lakes or crossing the bay. I went bear hunting this past weekend in an 18' Lund with a 40 hp 4 stroke. I was amazed at how little gas we burned. Not fastest ride but gas sipper. I was also surprised at how roomy that Lund was. I had only been in 16' before then and always felt cramped. So what I'm looking at is a 18' boat to a 20'. I'm leaning towards a Lund but not opposed to a flat bottom with tunnel. 40-50 hp 4 stroke or some sort of jet. Jet disadvantage is I'm not the most experienced boater so the full speed idea isn't my favorite idea. A co-worker runs a surface drive on his 18' flat bottom and loves it. Not opposed to that set up. Uses? Quite a few. Family trips to the lakes or to cross the bay to hit the Nush. Set net fishing for the family. Moose hunting. Bear hunting and fishing. Would love to stay around the $5k range since this will be a multipurpose boat to get me through to the nice wool ridge or hewes craft with cabin.

Pretty sure I spelt saught incorrectly.

you will be hard-pressed to find anything out here in dillingham in that budget and size of boat. get on dillingham trading post on facebook and look for someone trying to get rid of their 18ft lund this fall. once breakup happens prices go up. surface drives are alright for waterfowl hunting but horrible for subsistence fishing and hunting on the rivers we have here, and that is why he (I probably know who you are talking about) is one of the only people in this town that have a surface drive motor, I would look for a jet-drive or a prop motor for whatever boat you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by natedawgedog View Post
    you will be hard-pressed to find anything out here in dillingham in that budget and size of boat. get on dillingham trading post on facebook and look for someone trying to get rid of their 18ft lund this fall. once breakup happens prices go up. surface drives are alright for waterfowl hunting but horrible for subsistence fishing and hunting on the rivers we have here, and that is why he (I probably know who you are talking about) is one of the only people in this town that have a surface drive motor, I would look for a jet-drive or a prop motor for whatever boat you are looking at.
    Thanks. I am looking at the lund platform pretty hard. I've pretty much eliminated the jet option I think. Decisions decisions decisions.