Thread: Bear Baiting

Default Bear Baiting

I am thinking of using dog food for bear baiting this fall (I have never used it before) and I was wondering how much you put out and how many days on average it will last.

Ideally, before I start hunting, I would like to leave as much as I can so I do not have to replenish it often.

Thanks in advance

BEARBOB

I think it depends on how many bears are in the area and hitting your bait pile. I'd start off with 100 lbs. of dog food and come back in a week and check out the situation. I had 7 to 8 bears (mostly brown) hitting my stand regularly and I went through 300 lbs. of dog food alone. Bring a gallon or two of molasses and use it all on your dog food.

Default just my thoughts

I apologize for being ignorant, but I thought bear baiting was a spring thing??? Except for an area north east for brown bear?

make sure you look in the regs about baiting in the fall. i could be mistaken but im pretty sure bait season ends on the 30th.
    "The road goes on forever and the party never ends"

August 10 to October 15th is open to black bear baiting in 16B and a portion of 16A.

Sorry about that fellas.

I should have said I was from Canada, since your rules may be different than ours.

The reason I posted the question here, is that this site had more information on using dog food for bait, than a couple of otheres forums I visite.

As for MATT's input, when you said you went through 300lb of dog food, was that in a week?

Thanks

Bob

During the spring season I routinely go thru 2 #50 sacks of dog food. I use 5 gallon plastic buckets for bait containers. That is approx #5 per day when the bears start hitting the stand. sometimes I check & freshen the bait twice per day (but not very often)

BEARBOB,

No, it was during a one month period.