Thread: Yes Haw, I just landed a small game rifle.

Default Yes Haw, I just landed a small game rifle.

I have been watching the auction sights for a clean TC Cherokee or Seneca in .36 caliber. Up until now the only ones under $500 were the ones that had been abused. I found a real clean one with dark wood for $425 so my fingers pushed the buy now button before my brain had time to reason with them.

I shared my jubilation with my wife....uh err tried to. She will warm up to the idea when she realizes that I am spending more time in the woods and less under foot😕.

PHOTO.........or it is just "Hear'say".......

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    PHOTO.........or it is just "Hear'say".......

Congratulations.
    "Hea rSay" Is just passing on what ya'll heard tell. Saying that you bought a new shootin stick with no pictures would be fine in a court room where anything flies. How-some-ever to a weathered crowd of trigger pullers pictures are more better

Clickest thou here!
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=513226799

I know where there is another stock if the art work on this one is too ridiculous.

That's a certified score! You'll be real happy with that little gem. Dunno about your wife, but in my household the odds are high I'd have to find a second one if I wanted to shoot. My wife would take it over in a heartbeat!

It is beautiful.......now you have to give it a name. Like "LITTLE THUNDER"

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    "Hea rSay" Is just passing on what ya'll heard tell. Saying that you bought a new shootin stick with no pictures would be fine in a court room where anything flies. How-some-ever to a weathered crowd of trigger pullers pictures are more better

Clickest thou here!
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=513226799

I know where there is another stock if the art work on this one is too ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's a certified score! You'll be real happy with that little gem. Dunno about your wife, but in my household the odds are high I'd have to find a second one if I wanted to shoot. My wife would take it over in a heartbeat!
    My wife is a good sport but she is not much into hunting or shooting. She cooks all my drag home critters to perfection and tolerates guns all over the place to a degree. Everything has a limit and I know where I have to draw a line lest she draws one for me.😤

Little Thunder it is. That has a nice ring to it.

Awwwww....

And I was going to suggest Smoke Em.

My most frequent carry gun was named DANG by one of my shooting pardners. No details needed about the gun other than to tell you it's a short 58 caliber, loud enough to be distinctive from far, far away. Name comes from a partner behind me with another beside me when a buck jumped from cover about 10' in front of us and I busted it within another 10'. Bud beside me was shaking his head and working his finger in his ear and muttering its name over and over again.... Dang, dang, dang, dang!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Awwwww....

And I was going to suggest Smoke Em.

My most frequent carry gun was named DANG by one of my shooting pardners. No details needed about the gun other than to tell you it's a short 58 caliber, loud enough to be distinctive from far, far away. Name comes from a partner behind me with another beside me when a buck jumped from cover about 10' in front of us and I busted it within another 10'. Bud beside me was shaking his head and working his finger in his ear and muttering its name over and over again.... Dang, dang, dang, dang!
    That's funny right there!

EKC
    Why did you get such a big caliber? About a year ago I picked up a TC Hawkin With 2 32 cal GM barrels, one cap lock and one flintlock and both locks for $300. I blame it all on Smitty. I met him at a local gun show and he mentioned this TC with 2 barrels in 32cal and, well it's all his fault. These little guns are really fun. Mine shoots about 1 1/2" at 50yds. but would probably shoot good if someone with good eyes was using it. 20grs of 3f and a 45gr ball make this a serious turkey gun.

I'm at the ripe old age where I have the mindset of a hermit. I am building a small 10x12 hunterss cabin amongst the trees. I have the spot staked out and I hauled the lumber home yesterday. It's going to have 4 windows and 2 bunks my grandson is claiming one😉 ,but hopefully I can get my wife out there with a good book. She has spent most of her life doing for others. It's someone else's turn to do that now and time for her to step back and quit leading the pack. I am going to put pegs on the wall for two guns. Little Thunder gets the top pegs cuz everyone knows the skirl rifle goes on top. My 50 cal Investarms Hawkin carbine gets the bottom pegs. An EKC built wood stove will take care of things for the month long late muzzleloader season as Iowa winters aren't much different than much of Alaska.

This whole idea has been rolling around in my head for ten years and the thought of two muzzle loaders hanging on the wall has been there from the start. I can only hope that my wife takes over Little Thunder.......a 50 cal will kill skirls....won't it?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ......a 50 cal will kill skirls....won't it?
    Oh yeah. I do a whole lot of snowshoe hare hunting with reduced charges in my large cals. Head shots are head shots, and it's great field time with the bigger ones. In all my guns in larger cals (50, 54, 58 and 62 cal) a 30-35 grain charge of 3f (Goex or Pyrodex, no nevermind) is about perfect. No sight changes from heavy loads, they all print right around dead on at 25 yards, but starting to drop noticeably low past about 35 yards. Not an issue for me, cuzz my eyes aren't young enough to make longer head shots these days.

EKC
    That sounds like a fine plan. I've already started on mine. I just bought a 13 acre place just outside of Eureka MT and the wife is already there feeding the deer and turkeys that now like to hang out in the front yard. I've always wanted to shoot a turkey and I think a head shot with the 32 at 15 or 20 yds should be easy enough and I think I'll use the flintlock just to give em a chance.

You two old farts would make good neighbors!

Yeah, I kinda like ole Smitty.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Yeah, I kinda like ole Smitty.
    Yup, first Andy left the Great Land now you are too. Smitty is gonna be holding down the fort in that neck of the woods. Ole Smitty is as good as they come. I can tell with out looking him in the eye that he's a lot like my late Grand Dad. He's says what he thinks and thinks before he says it. He's a deep thinker and I quit doing that at about 15 when I fell out of a tree and landed on my head!

I told my wife that I want to meet ole Smitty before I croak. But if not then we will meet up yonder soon enough.....Smitty and I got that all worked out.!