Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug Dope

Default Bug Dope

Headed up to the Kenai area the 3rd week of July. I was told not to buy regular bug spray but to use "skin so soft" by mary kay. has anyone ever tried this and does it work?

Ben's 100, the best there is and a ThermaCell. The Therma Cell is awesome. I would take both.

Agree with Stanly, Bens and a Thermo Cell the only way to go

cool, I was hoping I wasn't gonna have to smell good for my trip

Don't use skin so soft for mosquitoes it doesn't work very well. If you spray it on screens though it stops those little nats from coming through.

Read up a little about DEET and waterproof gear. I haven't used a mosquito repellent with DEET (like Ben's, Off, Cutter, etc.) in over 5 years, as it absolutely destroys water repellency of high-end fabrics. On a side note, there is substantial evidence that it is harmful, especially to humans.

Skin-so-soft, however, isn't much better. One thing that we found this year that works pretty well, though, is a garlic spray that is sold at Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna. You have to reapply more often than traditional mosquito repellent, but it won't ruin your gear and it is far less toxic.

Personally, I'd rather get a few bites than have to replace my rain jacket.

Oh, and DEET on your fingers will drastically weaken your monofilament fishing line. Spray some directly on it. You can see it melt over time.

If you've got Helly Hansen Impertech rain gear, be awful careful with bug dope around it...mainly those with deet. My buddy outfitted a USGS sampling crew with the impertech and found out the hard way.

Impertech + Deet = melted glob of goo

I've been using that family stuff that comes in a clear bottle with red or orange lettering. Tropical mist or something like that. My buddies give me hell about it but it keeps the critters off and has little if any deet in it. Just use a lot

Bring all of the other stuff that you want to and have fun trying that, when you get tired of being the main course for the mosquitos then break out the deet and enjoy the relief. You can then use the garlic stuff to sweeten your bait and attract fish.

Bring a couple cans or pump spray bottles of Permanone and treat your outer clothing with it. The mosquitoes land, then fall off dead. The active ingredient is permithrin.
    The treatment lasts a couple of weeks. You can limit the amout of DEET you use to a hat and maybe the back of your hands.
    Now what ?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Read up a little about DEET and waterproof gear. I haven't used a mosquito repellent with DEET (like Ben's, Off, Cutter, etc.) in over 5 years, as it absolutely destroys water repellency of high-end fabrics....
    When Ben's 100% deet melted a watch off my wrist, I became a believer. That was in the mid-1980s.

....On a side note, there is substantial evidence that it is harmful, especially to humans....
    I want nothing to do with the stuff. It can't possibly be good for the human body.

...Skin-so-soft, however, isn't much better.....
    It simply doesn't work.

I did the citronella thing for a number of years, but that stuff would sting the eyes, and the smell was just too powerful for me.

I finally gave up on dope. Just say no.

I wear clothing and netting.

Buy a bug jacket. Best money ever spent. If its really bad spray the bug jacket with the bens, that keeps it off your body. That stuff is nasty on your skin.

Default ThermoCell Works

I am a true believer in ThermoCell. It can be a pain to keep free and operational when you are out in a stream or river with water up to your waist. They work great on the shore where you can work downwind of them - I like it when bending nails or cutting boards too short. ;} Skin-So-Soft works for gnats or whitesox (No see'ums), but not for skeeters - I think it attracts them! It is a banner year for No see'ums here in Juneau and ThermoCell works for them while trolling close to the beach.

I use DEET and have for years. I apply it to the back of my hands and then use the back of my hands to apply it where I need it. A little goes a LONG ways. I never put it on my palms or fingers which helps to keep it off of fishing gear and other equipment. I've never had a skeeter try and bite my palms. If the skeeters are REALLY bad, I use a head net and long sleeved jacket. Head nets are always great as they allow you to take a nap along the stream somewhere if you find the fishing slow and the afternoon warmer than normal. Been there, done that.

Ben's is the BEST!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

When I was about 12 I use to walk down meadow creek for hours for trout. some times I would forget to bring bug dope and I would get away from home a bit and the bug would decend. Some kind of wild mint grew in the creek and we had noticed from previous attempt to dry the mint that mosquitoes would not bite in us in the area that we were drying. so one time when we were down the creek and the bugs got bad we rubbed a heavy dose of mint on any exposed skin. There was a significant decrese in the number of mosquitoes that were biting. It was not as good as deet but better then some of the no deet repelents I have tried.
    Then Just a few years ago I saw a program on the discovery chanel about a new military repelent that uses an extract of mint.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    You can then use the garlic stuff to sweeten your bait and attract fish.
    Easy to mock that which we've never tried, isn't it? It works. Seriously. It just doesn't last as long between applications. Personally, I'd rather re-apply something that is natural than put one application of a synthetic chemical that melts rubber. That simply can't be good for humans.

Are you synthetic? I've always heard from some people that DEET is bad, but the military has been using it for decades. I'd think they have done a lot of research on it. I've often wondered who or what has been harmed by deet?? I mean don't drink it, but has anyone on this board EVER had a medical issue b/c of DEET??
    I'm serious too!! Not trying to pick on Bryan (just couldn't resist the synthetic comment). I use DEET and if someone can prove that it's harmful when applied topiclly I'd likely stop. Thanks!

I use Bens myself but i do agree watch anything plastic it will melt it (aka digital cams and cam corder cases) My wife bought a therma cell this year and loves it. She using the fruity off stuff and her cell and has no issues. I just dont have the issues with bugs like her. Maybe it is the beer or coffee lol. Im just curious how the cell will work in the fall with the black flies on the kenai
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast