Thread: I made a discovery today while shootimg my S&W 500 about 25 shots

Default I made a discovery today while shootimg my S&W 500 about 25 shots

My load wasn't the heaviest(probably 1200-1250 fps with 440 gr. bullet) but, not a cream puff either. I move the gun more into the web( closer to the other fingers)of my shooting hand and locked the off thumb over my right thumb, recoil was noticeably lighter. No sore thumb this time. Even accuracy was better. I managed to hit a 8" circle 17 out of 20 times from 25 yards. This is definitely the best I've ever shot this gun. My assumption is the 500 grips are a tad big for my hands?
    Steve

Congrats. It's fun and rewarding to have it all come together. A .501, 440gr at 1200-1250 will go clean through anything you want or need to shoot. Like 2 griz or 2 moose or 4 or 5 whitetail, a 3 or 4 hog or, or, or.....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

S.B.,I've taken a dremel to the S&W grips that come on a 500.

I use those grips on 629's......

I grind most of the finger grooves off. I also grind a bit of the "stippling" off on the right side. Made a huge difference for my hands.

I do the same thing on the hogue grips on Ruger Alaskan revolver.

You might give it a try...... The bottom "hump" has less soft rubber over it, I just ground all the way to the hard plastic, seems to be holding up OK.

They are pretty cheap if you don't like them ground down.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

When S&W announced the 500 I headed down to my local firearms purveyor and placed my order. I paid up front to make sure I got one of the first. I was real unhappy when I laid that grip in my hand. I keep looking for some other grips for it but have never found anything that works. I have tried sand paper and just seemed to make things worse. Koodoo's for a great day at the range. How about some pictures of those grips Travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    S.B.,I've taken a dremel to the S&W grips that come on a 500.

I use those grips on 629's......

I grind most of the finger grooves off. I also grind a bit of the "stippling" off on the right side. Made a huge difference for my hands.

I do the same thing on the hogue grips on Ruger Alaskan revolver.

You might give it a try...... The bottom "hump" has less soft rubber over it, I just ground all the way to the hard plastic, seems to be holding up OK.

They are pretty cheap if you don't like them ground down.
    I'm under the impression Hougue makes both S&W and Ruger's rubber grips?
    I may try this as this morning my right thumb is killing me again(done before I changed my grip yesterday). Just felt so comfortable after the grip change I kept shooting. It's hell to get old and not heal as fast as when I was a kid.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    How about some pictures of those grips Travelers.
    A couple pictures, ugly I know, but don't care, if they fit my hand well............

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I'm under the impression Hougue makes both S&W and Ruger's rubber grips?
    Yes, Hogue makes both. They do differ a bit, you can grind enough off of the lower finger hump on the Ruger without hitting the plastic.

I also ground a bit from behind the trigger guard.
    I like a high grip also, removing a bit of rubber, and rounding the sides behind the trigger guard makes my fingers fit a bit better...

Trial and error, grinding a bit at a time. I used a 1/2" medium grit sanding drum, slow speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can see I took the tops off the "stippling" on the side by the back strap...... My skin would bunch up there a bit at times, this fixed it......
    Attached Images Attached Images

travelers, thanks but, I believe my problem is the thickness at the top of the grips(too wide) right where the web of shooting hand lays. Maybe I'll try the original grips from my Mountain Gun(Hougues also but, without the backstrap cover)?
    Steve

Thanks Travelers. I have good idea on how to modify mine. S.B. There is a reason for that padding on the backstrap. My problem is the grip is to narrow and the grip leaves a hollow in my palm and is to long front to rear. I will try the sanding for this problem.

500sw 8-3/8". 500gr Hornady factory at 1600fps I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand very plainly, reminds me of Herrett's Jordon Troopers way back when, Jordon design used to fit my hand very well but, lately way too big for me and I wear XXL gloves. Last pair I got from them they had all kinds of reasons: new female custom grip carver, swore they were the same as always, etc. I actually took them to a wood rasp to get them to fit(then they asked me to send them back). We live in a one size fits all world now. Cheaper to produce? My $.02, the day of the custom stocks maker is gone.
    Steve