Thread: Learning to Be A Machinist

Default Learning to Be A Machinist

Next Fall I will be back in Fairbanks. Is there anyone there that can teach me how to be a machinist? Or at least point me in the right direction on how to get machinist training in Alaska?

I will be very interested to see if there is an answer for this question.......What level of Machinist are you interested in acquiring.......???

To the best of my knowledge, there are no machine tool technology courses offered in the state of Alaska. You would probably have to go to a state that has a large manufacturing base to find courses offered in the trade schools.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Kpc on the peninsula had machinist classes.
    I'm not sure they still have them though.
    No idea about Fairbanks.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Machinist is not a very marketable trade in Alaska, unless you have connections with getting employed at the Alaska Railroad. I served my 8,000 hour apprenticeship in Rochester, New York to get my Journeyman Machinist Papers, which are signed by: Governor, Nelson Rockefeller in 1969. Was also required to attend four years at Rochester Institute of Technology, studying mechanical engineering.

Now days if you can weld and run a grinder, you can call yourself a Machinist.

Yeah I have not found any machinist schools in Alaska. But I want to get proficient on both a lathe and a mill. I am wanting to get into making custom firearms and gunsmithing.