Thread: Remote Living Income

Default Remote Living Income

I know that a lot of people that live remote work seasonal in fields like construction and forest fire firefighting. What are some other ways to make a living in remote Alaska.

How remote are you talking? If in a village, education is a solid field. Freelance writing, website work...those things can be done at a distance. Some make money at trapping, but that takes time to learn and establish a line. Guiding for either fish or game could be an option as well.

I know a few people who live remote and fly to work.
    Places like the slope or red dog mine provide income then they fly home.
    Granted the slope is laying off right now and red dog is a 2x1 schedule so not as much home time as one would normally like.
    If you can make something for sale you can make a few bucks that way.
    I have met some people who make native art work and sell it.
    I once met a guy who carved whalebone masks. Granted he was very good and was a skilled known carver but he sold them for $250 each and took less than an 1/2 an hour to carve.
    He said the hardest part was finding good bone to carve. All his stuff was presold somewhere I'm guessing in Anchorage.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I know a few people who live remote and fly to work.
    Places like the slope or red dog mine provide income then they fly home.
    Granted the slope is laying off right now and red dog is a 2x1 schedule so not as much home time as one would normally like.
    If you can make something for sale you can make a few bucks that way.
    I have met some people who make native art work and sell it.
    I once met a guy who carved whalebone masks. Granted he was very good and was a skilled known carver but he sold them for $250 each and took less than an 1/2 an hour to carve.
    He said the hardest part was finding good bone to carve. All his stuff was presold somewhere I'm guessing in Anchorage.
    Do you know anything about these native kids that sit on the corner at the "Y" and sell the baleen and walrus heads and tusks? Are they from around here or do they come in from a village?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Do you know anything about these native kids that sit on the corner at the "Y" and sell the baleen and walrus heads and tusks? Are they from around here or do they come in from a village?
    Can't say for sure.
    I do know some of them come from villages in other parts of the state.
    I would venture a guess they are visiting friends/relatives locally and use the opportunity to make a few $$ on this stuff due to our greater influx of tourists .
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Commercial fishing

With a Sat-phone and internet.......there are thousands of things you can do for money. You can even sign binding contracts online. Stock broker, Real Estate broker (Yes, I have brokered properties that I have never seen the property, or either buyer or seller. In the old days we did it with telegrams, I have even done RE transactions where nothing is in writing accept the closing documents). You (if qualified) be a consultant on any subject, and be paid. You can buy and sell corn, oats, cows, pigs, anything. You can work the futures market, buy and resell on e-bay. Buy AR-15 or AR-10 kits and assemble for resale. Be a writer, artist, candlestick maker. You could even manage a large corporation or country.

Slope, and foreign oilfield work at sea, friend does that hes on a 3 month on 3 month off schedule. Gets huge paychecks. Knew a guy that used to go get tree burls in the winter, and was a fish guide in the summer, he made a decent living. Some burls and burl sticks as he would call them would bring $500.

Another thought is what we do. We got a place at mm48 on the steese, in the winter we sit tight summer gives me an hour long commute into fairbanks which is not to bad.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk