Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some people are just plain AWESOME!

Default Some people are just plain AWESOME!

I drew a goat tag this year and I've never hunted goats before. Now I must admit that I've never had a desire to hunt goats. I've always dreamed of hunting sheep, but never a goat.
    A friend accompanied me in August on my first unsuccessful attempt. After that trip I was obsessed with getting a Billy!! It was all I would think about while at work.
    A few members wrote me and informed me of an area I could hike into and I started to focus my efforts there.
    After my August trip I was a solo hunter. A few members offered to come along and help me out, but our schedules never seemed to work out. Normally the weather was forecasted to be poor when they were able to assist.
    Being a family man and a slope worker I have a difficult time balancing my hunting and family time. Being I'm gone more then half the year already I find it hard to just up and leave for a week with a new wife and 9 month old at home. My wife supports my passion of hunting and pushes me to go, but also understands why I don't.
    Last Monday I figured I would give my goat tag one last hurrah, but only for the day. She advised my to stay the night, but I figured if it was meant to be I could pull it off Monday.
    At day break I started up the mountain on a new route I'd spotted on Google earth. I thought this different route would be less taxing on me, but a tad longer. I was right by 11:00 I was in goat country and at noon I had spotted the billy I wanted to take. I had passed several goats at this point. I really wanted my first goat to be a billy and one for the wall too! It took me FOREVER to reach where the billy had been and of corse he was gone by the time I got there.
    Finely at 6:15pm I caught up with him and pulled the trigger. Game over right? Not even close!
    Here I am on a day trip an hour before dark and my dumb ***** has a Billy down 10 hours into goat country.
    I write the wife and informed her of my success and that I was going to be spending the night on the mountainside. I also wrote Brule (who had been giving me advice the whole time) Brule asked if I was off the mountain yet and I told him I was going to spend the night, rather then attempt to walk out in the dark. (My wife wasn't allowing me to walk in the dark) lol
    The next day was brutal! Super heavy pack and horrible brush and country. I was plugging along at a snails pace, but as long as one foot goes in front of the other I was making headway.
    Around lunchtime Brule wrote and asked if I was off the mountain yet. I kind of chuckled to my self and said no! I knew I'd be lucky to get off the hill that day.
    About 4:00 Brule wrote and said he had left work early and wanted my location. He said he was headed home to change clothes and boot and headed my way!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? This man leaves work early to willingly climb a goat hill for the specific reason of packing meat for a total stranger! We have never met face to face! I was in aww.
    Because of this outstanding individual I got off that mountain that night and home safe to my family!
    Brule you are the man! You Sir are everything that is great about the sport of hunting!
    I will do my best to "pay it forward" and return the favor to someone else.

Thanks again Doug! I will never forget it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stid2677; 10-12-2015 at 16:14.

I wished I could figure out how to edit the title lol
    Typo in the title dang it! Lol

That is fantastic! Nicely done on the goat, and hats off to Brule for helping you!

Congrats on a nice goat. Awesome to hear about guys helping each other out. Kudos to Brule, and to you as well for working hard for your animal.

Great job and goat. Thats gonna make a nice mount.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

One of the best write up of a hunt i have seen before( short and sweet). Congrats on a successful trip.

Excellent, excellent, and excellent...that story could not have been any more wonderful to read. You made my day sir.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS???
    Yes, I actually can. Amongst all the normal doom and gloom we are constantly bombarded by, there still, and always will be, some truly wonderful people left in this world.

As you found out.....

Congrats....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Nicely done, Sir. Persistence surely pays off from time to time. I definitely miss that country, glad you found a nice goat.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, I actually can.....HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME. Amongst all the normal doom and gloom we are constantly bombarded by, there still, and always will be, some truly wonderful people left in this world.

As you found out.....

Congrats....
    Forgot to say that (in caps).

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, I actually can. Amongst all the normal doom and gloom we are constantly bombarded by, there still, and always will be, some truly wonderful people left in this world.

As you found out.....

Congrats....
    Most sportsman I've come across are good hearted people. Most will help if they can, but hiking up that mountain after work qualifies as "above and beyond" to me!

Congratulations.

What kind of survival gear did you have to spend the night? I'm always thinking about staying the night when I'm sheep or goat hunting. Did you have a shelter and food?

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    Congratulations.

What kind of survival gear did you have to spend the night? I'm always thinking about staying the night when I'm sheep or goat hunting. Did you have a shelter and food?

I had some salmon/beef jerky, protein bars and a few sailorboy crackers for food.
    No shelter to speak of. I slept in a S.O.L. Space blanket.
    I was wearing Sitka gear and it was a testament of dry and warm.
    I had a good beanie, I put 2 pair of dry socks on and I had a 2 sets of warm gloves.
    I didn't sleep well that night, but I'm sure I slept half of it. Some of it was from the temps in the high 20's, but the other reason was there was something walking in the shale slide below me.
    I had a run in with a brownie the day I killed the goat. He was woofing at me and unimpressed that I was on his mountain.
    I sure that had some to do with my lack of sleep.

Great story and very encouraging! Thanks for sharing.

Fish catcher, I'm glad you're back safe and sound with your family and enjoying some fine table fare. I was happy to help and would do it again in a heartbeat! I love being out in the mountains and know that someday I'll be looking for a helping hand from a fellow sportsmen. Pay it forward! In this day and age it's easy to overlook the important things, as hunters we are all in this together. Until we meet again
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Excellent! Love these stories...

I tip my hat to you Brule on a deed very well done.

Great story all around. Glad you had a great hunt with memories to last a lifetime. Brule proves that you don't have to actually meet in person to be a good buddy!

Default Some people are just plain AWESOME!

Congrats! Not to high jack your thread but the multiple contacts throughout the day made me think that a guy could post a pic of a moose he's hunting before shooting it to make sure the forum agrees its legal. That could solve the 15c problems

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I had some salmon/beef jerky, protein bars and a few sailorboy crackers for food.
    No shelter to speak of. I slept in a S.O.L. Space blanket.
    I was wearing Sitka gear and it was a testament of dry and warm.
    I had a good beanie, I put 2 pair of dry socks on and I had a 2 sets of warm gloves.
    I didn't sleep well that night, but I'm sure I slept half of it. Some of it was from the temps in the high 20's, but the other reason was there was something walking in the shale slide below me.
    I had a run in with a brownie the day I killed the goat. He was woofing at me and unimpressed that I was on his mountain.
    I sure that had some to do with my lack of sleep.

Had to do that myself once after killing a big DC001 bull caribou. It was supposed to be a day hike with a buddy so he could show me the area. We were able to call our wives and let them know we would be spending the night up there. We ran out of daylight and it got too dangerous on the steep hillside to try and pack out that whole bull between the two of us. So we managed to find a somewhat flat(er) area amongst the hemlocks to lay down. He had a space blanket but I only had the clothes on my back and my raingear. Neither one of us had little more than a couple small snacks for food. I was plenty warm from trying to stay vertical with so much weight on my back, so I managed to fall asleep fairly quickly. Luckily it was nice weather, but being clear out meant a little colder. I woke up around 3-4 am feeling a bit chilled, so I built a small fire next to me, and we both curled up around it and fell back asleep for awhile.

As you well know now, that it is very well worth it to spend one little bit of an uncomfortable night, to be able to safely bring out that special trophy the next day.

Congrats again, and Brule......you da man...!!!

Oh and btw, Seeing that Brule is from Seward, I take it that it was a Kenai Pen permit. Which one was it...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast