Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID this bird for me.....

Default ID this bird for me.....

So the story is, the wife tells me she just saw a spruce chicken land in the bushes just off the end of the driveway. I grab the 410 and dog and wife and we walk down to make the harvest. When we get close I send the dog in. The bird steps into clear view to me just 20 ft away like a dumb spruce chicken would do. I quickly raise the gun and take a head shot. About the time I pull the trigger I realize I just shot a pheasant(?) of some kind.
    Anyone ever heard of a common pheasant mating with a spruce hen? I've never seen a bird like this before. Perhaps a strange pen raised breed of pheasant? Any ideas folks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Melanistic Mutant Pheasant.

Derived from the Ringneck and maintained as an individual ornamental breed.
    https://www.purelypoultry.com/melani...ts-p-1137.html

Somebody's not inexpensive escapee.

Eat it!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yup just an exotic pet that got loose. Bet it tastes WAAAAAY better than a spruce hen!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Unfortunately, it trespassed on your property and you were forced to shoot it in defense of life and property. Those melanistic mutant pheasants are the stuff of nightmares. Al least, that's what I would tell the bird loving owner when he/she comes knockin on your door.

Zero brow tines.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Look carefully, it's tines are growing out of it's BUTT.

During my time in Kasilof two pen raised cock pheasants fell prey to 22 cal pellets to the nogin'....

I mean, a guy can't have them nasty critters running loose all over the property now can he...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There are quite a few escapees out there, enough so that I wonder if some populations aren't taking hold with our mild winters. I've heard of pheasants being spotted in several locations and chukkars in even more.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I spotted a quail on a Hillside trail a couple of years ago, as well as ringneck pheasants and chukars in our neighborhood.

Nice job!
    I harvested a few wild turkeys on the peninsula a few years back.
    Talk about good eating!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks Taiga for the link. I had tried some 'pheasant species' links but never saw anything about this kind of pheasant. From the link I read...."Beyond their dark and exotic coloration, Melanistic Mutant Pheasants also differ from their Ringneck originators in their survival abilities. They are known as having a phenomenal ability to survive and breed when released into the wild. These are the ultimate naturalizing pheasants, and are a prime choice for establishing a beautiful pheasant population on your acreage." Well, so much for their "ability to survive and breed when released into the wild."
    I almost feel a bit bad about harvesting it. Would be cool to have an active population of them around. But I said the same thing about the regular ringneck pheasants we had around for a number of yrs, till a few yrs ago. Just when I was about to start harvesting them if I saw one around, they all disappeared. Havent seen one now around Ninilchik in maybe 3 yrs. Same with the chukar I had feeding under my deck on fallen bird seed. He made it thru most of the winter then disappeared.
    Oh well, this guy is in the fridge and looking tasty 'under glass' tonite!
    Thanks for the good posts guys.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Melanistic Mutant Pheasant.

Derived from the Ringneck and maintained as an individual ornamental breed.
    https://www.purelypoultry.com/melani...ts-p-1137.html

Somebody's not inexpensive escapee.

Eat it!
    That's such a bad sounding name for such a pretty animal. I would expect that name to belong to an uglier animal.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post

So the story is, the wife tells me she just saw a spruce chicken land in the bushes just off the end of the driveway. I grab the 410 and dog and wife and we walk down to make the harvest. When we get close I send the dog in. The bird steps into clear view to me just 20 ft away like a dumb spruce chicken would do. I quickly raise the gun and take a head shot. About the time I pull the trigger I realize I just shot a pheasant(?) of some kind.
    Anyone ever heard of a common pheasant mating with a spruce hen? I've never seen a bird like this before. Perhaps a strange pen raised breed of pheasant? Any ideas folks?
    By the way, I ate that fella the other night. Wife fried it up in bacon grease. I haven't had pheasant in 30 yrs. Man, was that tasty!

Always been my favorite. Grew up eating it as, as far as hunting goes, I pretty much cut my teeth hunting ducks and pheasants.....

Got the "bug" as a very small child helping (watching) my Dad clean them. Mom said I was in awe of how beautiful the heads and wings of the birds were. She told me that one time when going into my room to clean she started smelling a hint of something bad. She looked all over the floor and couldn't find anything. As the days went by the smell kept getting worse so she finally had to start tearing the room apart. Finally she found the culprit. Is seems that when my Dad was cleaning a pheasant I saw him drop the head into one of the paper grocery bags we used to use. And when he wasn't looking I reached in, grabbed it, and hid that trophy in the top drawer of my night stand so I could take it out and admire it.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Yup just an exotic pet that got loose. Bet it tastes WAAAAAY better than a spruce hen!!

??? good spruce hen is one of the best tasting meats I know!! I love pheasant too, but spruce hen in my opinion is better.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    ??? good spruce hen is one of the best tasting meats I know!! I love pheasant too, but spruce hen in my opinion is better.
    Well, I'm sure you know, when those spruce chickens are still in the berries they can't be beat. Later in winter when they been eating nothing but spruce needles..... That's what they taste like.
    The pheasant I ate was full of hi bush cranberries. He had sort of an exotic mutant flavor to him. Very good indeed. Just had a local spruce hen a few days earlier. Also very tasty.

No limit on exotic non native species; the likes of pheasants, turkeys, quail, things like that.

Trying to figure out why anyone would shoot a bird they couldn't identify before shooting.......

Quote Originally Posted by redtail View Post
    Trying to figure out why anyone would shoot a bird they couldn't identify before shooting.......
    Try re-reading post one a few more times. Maybe it will come to you. If that doesn't do it for you, suffice to say I like to eat birds.

Default ID this bird for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Try re-reading post one a few more times. Maybe it will come to you. If that doesn't do it for you, suffice to say I like to eat birds.
    Shoot first, ask for recipes later.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast