Thread: Marlin 336 Lever Action

Default Marlin 336 Lever Action

Thinking about picking up a new Marlin 336 Stainless lever action in .30-30 for the thick jungle that is southeast Alaska. Read online that since Remington bought them out in 2008, they are not good guns anymore. I guess they are referred to as "Remlins" now. I've seen pictures which show the quality has changed a bit, but are they still as good and reliable as when Marlin manufactured them? Most info on the web is from immediately after Remington bought them...

I've only handled one, and never shot it. But it didn't stand up to comparison with my older 336's. Those have really slick and smooth actions, while the new one was pretty rough. But that may not be a fair comparison. My others are over 30 years old and have been shot LOTS. The new one might slick down just fine with as much cycling as my old ones have had.

Your instincts are good about the utility of the model, but I just don't know what to say about the latest version. I will say that if they also chamber it in 35 Remington, I'd go for that rather than the 30-30. My 35 gets about 10x as much use as my 30-30.

I'm gonna be buying one at the end of this month. I've looked at em in local stores and read a lot of articles online. You can find the story online but here are the highlights: the 1894 and 336 schematics have been drawn and new equipment has been purchased and has been in use for a while now producing rifles. If I remember correctly, both new lines were up and running in 2014. Marlin has their own separate manufacturing division at Remington to further produce and improve the product. The metalwork should be good on the new rifles and they are still trying to improve the wood to metal fit and checkering. A work in progress.

Remington management realizes they screwed up and opened the door for Henry and Rossi. The old machinery which Remington moved to Ilion, New York was over 60 years old and employees had built sheet metal dams to stop fluids from leaking on the floor. There were no schematics of the rifles and employees were using hand written calculations to compensate for the wear on the machines. Remington implied in the articles I read they offered the old Marlin employees the opportunity to relocate to New York but few did.

So, they had an inexperienced workforce using outdated and heavily worn machinery to make rifles without proper schematics. A recipe for quality control problems. Remington management admitted they should have simply stopped production, drew up new schematics of the rifle lines, purchased new equipment, trained the workforce and went to makin rifles. Something they have now done and they appear very serious about retaking their share of the lever action market. Only time will tell.

I have an 1895 in 45/70 that I picked I picked up in about 07. It works great, but I'm not sure when rem bought out Marlin. I also have a 336 my grandpa left me. Interestingly I've never had it out to shoot. I've only taken it outa the safe every couple weeks to drool on it and play "the rifleman" in the basement when no one is lookin. That 336 is sweet and smooth like glass. I need to have a range day with it.

Save yourself a bunch of headache and buy an older one off Gunbroker. Remington is in such a mess over the last couple years . . . is it getting better? Well, not as of yet, it's still almost a certainty that your new Marlin will have issues . . . they are fixable issues but do you want to send in your new rifle to get fixed.

Now they are closing Ole Brick in Ilion NY and moving to Alabama so things may get better in a year or so . . . maybe . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the info. I will definitely hold off on buying a new one and will look for an older one.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Save yourself a bunch of headache and buy an older one off Gunbroker. Remington is in such a mess over the last couple years . . . is it getting better? Well, not as of yet, it's still almost a certainty that your new Marlin will have issues . . . they are fixable issues but do you want to send in your new rifle to get fixed.

Now they are closing Ole Brick in Ilion NY and moving to Alabama so things may get better in a year or so . . . maybe . . .
    I grew up with Remington. Just the name conjures up great memories of time in the field, hunting articles read, and just plain old great shooting times. Kinda like lemonade on a hot summer's day, or Grandma's apple pie. Really sad that they have been going through so much turmoil. All I know is that my old 8mm Mag has been flawless....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    ...and will look for an older one.
    The stars will be shining over your head if you come across one in 35 Remington. Just can't say enough good things about it alongside a 30-30. Seems to shoot just as flat, while a 200 grain bullet really does things that a 170 can't.

I'm with BrownBear on the .35 over the 30-30 comment. I've never owned a 30-30 but I've also never regretted buying my .35 Remington. Buffalo Bore makes some stout stuff that shoots really well out of my 336.

I bought an XLR in .338 Marlin Express right about the time of the change-over to what people now call Remlins. I believe my rifle is one that suffered because of it. I believe my rifle has a slight case of what guys on the Marlin forum call "barrel droop." To my eye it doesn't look fully aligned and I've had to work hard to get it to scope right: Burris Zee rings, shimming... and even then I have it maxed out. I have toyed with sending it in but have read mixed reviews on how that's worked out for folks that have. As such, I still have mine the way it came to me.

That said, it has been my go-to gun since buying it. To date I've shot four moose and three caribou with it and have been very happy with it, both the rifle and the caliber. I guess I'm biased but I think the .338 ME is as good as it gets in a tube fed lever gun. It sure makes my success photos look a lot sexier.

Look at the Rossi 92 in 454casull or 44mag.Kitchikan gun cycle had a 336 in 35rem and still has one in 30-30
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

i own some older and some newer marlins and can honestly say they are great guns ! my .338 marlin express has taken 2 elk and 5 deer with 8 shots, which makes it a favorite with me. i hand load with leverevolution bullets and powder and find the published data very close. my stainless rifle action improved with j b paste, and is about as slick as they come. the trigger and ejector are wild west ( anchorage ) products, and are highly recommended.
    rifle accuracy is around 1.04" with leverevolution bullets and a fixed 4x leupold scope which won't take your breath away, but is fine for even long shots ( when necessary ).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    happy trails.
    jh