Thread: Last minute Ketchikan hunt change

Default Last minute Ketchikan hunt change

I've had a deer hunt planned for months now and my flight leaves tomorrow, right in time for the remnants of hurricane oho. It's going to be a scramble to pull something together if the plane will even land. Anybody in Ketchikan have some advise? We were going to boat to Thorne arm but it's all in the air now. *** who plans for hurricanes in Alaska😡

Wow! As I write this it's 3:45 in the morning with winds currently blowing about 30 mph with gusts to 45. We've had nearly 8" of rain in the past 24 hours. The forecast are winds from 60-100 mph today, hope they don't get that high but the way it's blowing now it sure is possible. We could see a lull this afternoon but I wouldn't count on it. If that lull doesn't hit the last place I would want to be is on the water especially heading to Thorne Arm. I've heard of a few deer being picked up off the road system recently. Any place you hunt in the next 4-5 days is going to be ugly and wet. Sorry for the bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by n8r View Post
    *** who plans for hurricanes in Alaska
    In only the 4 years I've lived in Alaska, I've seen far more instances of 64+ knot winds (hurricane-force) than when I grew up on the east coast. Kodiak and the Aleutians were far more unpredictable than here in Ketchikan, but fall weather in Alaska is truly unpredictable.

That being said, its pretty calm here today. Probably nice enough to hunt down in Thorne Arm but I would stay as far away as possible from Clarence Strait. A lot of rain has fallen in the last couple days so be careful hiking...

Wonder if the OP ended up heading out there. Today's forecast is SE 55 knots, gusts to 80 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    Wonder if the OP ended up heading out there. Today's forecast is SE 55 knots, gusts to 80 knots.
    Was wondering the same thing, I live out north and it is really snorting out there.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Was wondering the same thing, I live out north and it is really snorting out there.
    Same here, no interest in even leaving the house today.