Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planar diesel heater

Default Planar diesel heater

Reliable dry heat for your ocean boat, air boat, RV, camper, hunting rigs, etc.... Exhaust's outside.
    Last edited by Icebear; 10-22-2015 at 15:25.

Very nice BK. Glad to see a one stop shop in the valley
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Default Heaters in stock

Thanks Rob, lots of work right now. Loving it!

Installed a heater on a Hewes 22'er today.
    Reworking a 30' aluminum boat that sunk in the harbor this spring, big project!
    2 airboats here, one getting a new LS3, CH4 belt and the latest whirlwind props/hub install, the other is an upgrade with new JW wheel and some trailer maintenance.

Headed out to burn some gas myself before the rivers freeze up.
    Bk

Good to know. I've been obtaining them from another ditributor here in AK for sometime now and installing. So far they've been great heaters.
    Last edited by Icebear; 10-21-2015 at 00:16.

Good to hear Mel. They are awesome heaters.
    Finished the 22' hewes and ran it a few hours tonight, 36* outside, toasty inside the boat!
    Last edited by Icebear; 10-21-2015 at 00:17.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Reworking a 30' aluminum boat that sunk in the harbor this spring, big project!
    Bk
    What brand of boat was it and why did it sunk?

What size heater would you recommend for a 23' aluminum ocean boat with some 1" thick spray foamed walls and ceiling?

Predator,
    Nice boat, been following your build on Al. alloy boat forum!
    The 44d would be overkill most of the year except in winter conditions out in PWS. Are you adding an enclosed canopy over the back that would be heated as well?
    The 2D would be just fine most of the year, especially if you have it that well insulated.

MacGyver,
    Faulty bilge pump, tons of rain, rolled 50% over still tied to the dock at Whittier. 3 other boats met the same fate that night.
    Bk
    Last edited by Icebear; 10-21-2015 at 00:18.

Predator,

MacGyver,
    Faulty bilge pump, tons of rain, rolled 50% over still tied to the dock at Whittier. 3 other boats met the same fate that night.
    Bk
    That is so sad to hear. It could have been prevented by routine maintenance/battery charger or the harbor master having someone check on the boats for problems on a night when there is heavy rain or snow. Come to think about it my harbor master suggestion in one of the dumbest suggestion I made this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    What size heater would you recommend for a 23' aluminum ocean boat with some 1" thick spray foamed walls and ceiling?
    Todd, isn't that the boat your installing our winch system on?

BK I will be giving you a call sometime about the heaters. I'm just starting to get the cabin layout together for my boat build now. Hope your enjoying all the photos and discussion on AL boat forum. It's just me and Kevin, it's like having a personal tutor looking over my shoulder. Know one else ever says a thing. But that's ok he's the expert

Predator,
    Sure appreciate all the pics, updates, and entire build process you have posted on-line. Kevin is a wealth of info. I learn something from each of his threads and enjoy his writing style, your lucky to have such a good tutor paying attention to your build.

As for the heaters, they simply rock. One of the best upgrades to an Ak toy for the money! I have a friend with one in his motorhome, airboat, and ocean boat if you want to see one in action.

Anyway, please keep us updated on the other site, I enjoy it.
    Any chance you'll be out in PWS before the year is over?
    Will be fun to meet up out there sometime.
    Bk

I am land locked until I get this boat floating again and it will take me the winter to finish at my glacial pace. But the process wouldn't be as fun if I was in a big rush. At least I have the big modifications complete and just lots of smaller ones remain. The outside of the boat is done. But the cabin is just a shell so that's what's left plus the wiring. Hope you chime in the dialog when I get to the cabin heater installation.

BK, how do these units compare to the ESPAR and Webasto units? All three look about the same, but Planar are so much cheaper. I would be curious to hear about their reliability. It's nice to see another, more affordable option out there. Good luck on this new venture.

I have enjoyed following your project, Predator. Nice looking craft.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What would you recommend for a Bayliner 2556 and what would your prices be for a complete install?

Living like kings

Pete,
    I own both. They are equal in my opinion.
    Love my Espar as noted in earlier posts, my istall on the Wooly, etc....That said, I love the Planar even more! 2 year warranty, 1/2 the price, 44d comes complete except for heat ducting and vents, tank is included, pump is quietier, and so on.

Some of these have been running in Fbx for 4 years....zero problems firing up them all winter long. We run 'em in the airboats during the winter while riding up there, they are fabulous. Same for his motor home, fire it up in the dead of winter and your rocking.

We know how much better life is on the ocean boat when you have dry plumbed heat. They have a great reputation, have been around for years, just needed someone locally to deal with and I am filling that need.

Been installing them the last few weeks on ocean boats.

Tony,
    Pm'd ya. Variables to think about include how many vents, how much plumbing and who's location to install.

Bk
    Last edited by Icebear; 10-21-2015 at 00:21.

Tried to call but I'm guessing you were busy, no worries. I'm confident I already have 2 for you to install if we go with having them put in. I'm sure I'll be buying one and pretty sure my dad will be getting one too. I don't think I'll need more than 3 vents at the absolute most I use a buddy heater with that little fan on my boat now and that'll cook you out in the winter but I want dry heat. My dad has a 2858 and has a bigger cabin so he may need 4 vents.
    I'll try and give a call later today

Living like kings

I looked at Planar close before I went with the espar. They did seem equal, but without anyone local to deal with and not being able to find much history, I just didn't want to chance it. Now - I wish I had. There really isn't much to the little heaters, but they sure are great out on the water (or in the yard with a cold drink in your warm boat!!!

Good talking to you Tony, we'll get 'er done!
    Bk

Good talking to you Tony, we'll get 'er done!
    Bk
    Likewise, I'll be getting a hold of you in a few months. Thanks for your time.

Living like kings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast