Thread: MSR takes a moose

Default MSR takes a moose

NY governor Cuomo says no one needs to hunt with an "assault rifle". I personally don't and never will, but my grandson took this moose with one shot from an AR in .300 Blackout. So I think that guy is wrong.
    The boy and his dad had an easy carry to the truck.
    IMG_0071.jpg

Way to go Sayak the 3rd!!.
    Come on Sayak................never wiil? Never say never!! Your turn!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Not the first time Cuomo has been wrong about guns and certainly won't be the last.

Congratulations to the hunter.....nice!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Way to go Sayak the 3rd!!.
    Come on Sayak................never wiil? Never say never!! Your turn!
    Never will what? Carry an AR? Nope never will. Get a moose? I've killed enough moose in my lifetime, now it's about my sons and grandsons getting theirs. It all eats the same and our freezer is full.
    Hunting from the road system... meh. I go through the motions and enjoy the hunting, but I miss hunting the rivers and lakes out in Bristol Bay.

Great picture and gonna be some good eating for sure. The AR platform is real popular with the next generation. My son likes them and hunts with them sometimes as well...I choose not, but I (as you already know), strongly support the right to choose...as do you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The AR platform is real popular with the next generation. My son likes them and hunts with them sometimes as well...I choose not, but I (as you already know), strongly support the right to choose...as do you.
    Yeah.... I do... but I kinda have to bite my tongue to not say how much they do NOT feel good in my hands. And I'd better stop there.
    I'm glad the lads like them. I try to give them variety though. I don't know if they'll even be interested in my cherished wood/blued guns when I pass away.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah.... I do... but I kinda have to bite my tongue to not say how much they do NOT feel good in my hands. And I'd better stop there.
    I'm glad the lads like them. I try to give them variety though. I don't know if they'll even be interested in my cherished wood/blued guns when I pass away.
    That's super awesome for the kid. On a related note, I have REALLY been thinking of snagging the NEF Handi Rifle in 300 AAC Blackout. They have one on sale at Cabelas for only $319 or so. My son is left handed so I've been thinking that a break open action would be a good family use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    That's super awesome for the kid. On a related note, I have REALLY been thinking of snagging the NEF Handi Rifle in 300 AAC Blackout. They have one on sale at Cabelas for only $319 or so. My son is left handed so I've been thinking that a break open action would be a good family use.
    While I understand the rationale of the Handi Rifle, I should add that you can get a Ruger American predator version in .300 for not much more than that. It is light, short, and has a threaded muzzle in case you want to use a silencer or whatever the heck they're calling them these days. My son was using one with sub-sonic rounds, and it sounded like an air rifle. They make them in youth and lefty models too.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    While I understand the rationale of the Handi Rifle, I should add that you can get a Ruger American predator version in .300 for not much more than that. It is light, short, and has a threaded muzzle in case you want to use a silencer or whatever the heck they're calling them these days. My son was using one with sub-sonic rounds, and it sounded like an air rifle.
    But a break open action could be shot by my lefty son and myself...
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    But a break open action could be shot by my lefty son and myself...
    Yeah, good point. Too bad they don't make lever guns in that caliber... but then it's not much different than a 30.30.

That's a big critter for such a young man. I am sure it was quite an experience for him.

I prefer the look and feel of wood and blued steel too but MSRs have their place. When Ruger was offering the Mini-14 chambered in 6.8spc I grabbed one of the stainless/synthetic Ranch Rifles. Other than the noisy action that thing is the best darn Blacktail deer gun I could imagine. It's at home in tight cover and still better at longer ranges than I am.

I happened across another example of a moose taken with an MSR chambered for 6.8spc near Paxson here:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...ith-a-Gold-Dot

Nice moose!
    I've never understood the lure of 300 blackout...

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    Nice moose!
    I've never understood the lure of 300 blackout...
    Suppressed and subsonic they're very quiet. The action is by far the loudest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post

I happened across another example of a moose taken with an MSR chambered for 6.8spc near Paxson here:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...ith-a-Gold-Dot
    After reading that story, I'd have to say that's pretty impressive for a 90 grn slug.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well done young man! The AR platform is in general much more comfortable to hold and shoot for slighter framed people. I am a big'n and I like the feel - I do not like some of the weight though the larger calibers like 308 come in. So trade off for me but I respect anybody that shoots anything!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Can you give us the detals of the terminal performance? I would like to know the bullet type/weight, approx. velocity, shot distance ect.... I just bought a RAR in 300 BLK and I have an unnatural affinity for that gun now. I handload barnes 110 tac txs on top of 20.0 grains of Lil' Gun and its punching rounds through one hole at 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier06 View Post
    Can you give us the detals of the terminal performance? I would like to know the bullet type/weight, approx. velocity, shot distance ect.... I just bought a RAR in 300 BLK and I have an unnatural affinity for that gun now. I handload barnes 110 tac txs on top of 20.0 grains of Lil' Gun and its punching rounds through one hole at 50 yards.
    If you are talking to me, I wasn't there and don't have the specifics. I'm just the proud Uppa and sharer in the meat.
    I know that the 2nd moose taken (yes, both my grandsons drew antlerless tags!) with this same rifle required 2 shots, but it was bigger and farther away. Other than that, you should ask the AR folks. But I will get back to you on the load if I find out.