Thread: Cook tops

Default Cook tops

It's time to start planning for my winter time projects. To that end, I am in the market for a new cook top. I know there are a number of different cook tops on the market, however I would really value some first hand experience. It would be easiest for me to replace with a diesel burner so I am leaning that way, however I am very interested in hearing some opinions. Thanks

Default propane

Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    It's time to start planning for my winter time projects. To that end, I am in the market for a new cook top. I know there are a number of different cook tops on the market, however I would really value some first hand experience. It would be easiest for me to replace with a diesel burner so I am leaning that way, however I am very interested in hearing some opinions. Thanks
    We have a propane 3 burner cook top, mounted flush with the counter.
    Love it! Fast, hot, easy, and no issues what so ever.

I have friend who just built a cabinet in his boat and designed it to drop in one of the propane camp chef oven/cooktop combos that run about $200 or so. Looks awesome, inexpensive, and esily replacble if it acts up.
    Bk

I have one of the older alcohol two burner stoves that's recessed in my countertop. Yeah it works but it's a very wet heat and keeping the pots full after evaporation while sitting in the driveway is a hassle. Heats up water and cooks food pretty well though. Just don't care for it. Propane is wet too, but it's instant and seems to be better.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Really like using the coleman 2 burner white gas or BBQ on the back deck best, especially when rafted up with a couple other boats. GOOD TIMES!!
    Bk

Everyone needs a bixler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Boy howdy, LOL!

Look forward to doing it again in a few weeks!
    Bk

I have a wallas cook top and it has worked well for us. It can double as an secondary heater as well. The downsides are that they are very expensive, take a little time to heat up and cool down, are voltage sensitive, and can be maintenance hogs if you let them sit. I run kerosene in my espar (wish they made a stove), wallas oven and wallas stove and run them all monthly over the winter. The people that I have talked with that have had problems with their wallas products tend to let them sit. Run them often, start and shut them down on high, and they perform well. I add a little seafoam to the kerosene tank once a season, too.

I have seen the propane camp chef oven/cooktop combos that are sold and for an economic alternative, they might be the ticket.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Espar recommends running kerosene in the heaters once a year I think. Do you run it all year long? I only have a few hours on mine. Want to keep it in as good of shape as I can because maintenance is going to be a bear when the time comes for me due to the location I installed it.

It sure was nice on Tuesday though in PWS.

I run kerosene all the time. Take a look at the exhausts of units running diesel. They are all sooted up. I have run kerosene from day one and have had eight years without issues. Run them hot and and a lot!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I appreciate the help guys. You are correct the wallas is very expensive, which that is what I am replacing. It's time for a new stove and I was hoping there was a better solution. The wallas is a bit sensitive for me. I may go back with one but I still have some time so will keep looking.

Thanks

"Everyone needs a bixler" LOL!!! Inside joke everyone...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I run kerosene all the time. Take a look at the exhausts of units running diesel. They are all sooted up. I have run kerosene from day one and have had eight years without issues. Run them hot and and a lot!
    Well the exact opposite is true for me, I've always run diesel in my Wallas stoves and my current boat has two; a furnace and cook top. Scan Marine recommends diesel over kerosene, they say it puts out more BTUs and stable is much longer than kerosene. Have not had any problems asoceated with using diesel, right out of the pump. This has just been my experience.

These stoves are designed run in diesel powered boats taping into the main fuel supply. Granted there are some Wallas stove specifically design to run on kerosene, if you have one of these running it on diesel is not a recommended.

With this said, what makes the Wallas stove so wonderful in cold weather climates is the lack of moisture produced when it's running; it actually pulls moisture from the air. Propane on the other hand produces vast quantities of water, great for cooking but will steam up the windows really quick.
    If it's cold and rainy nothing pulls moisture out of the cabin faster than turning on the Wallace.

The Wallas diesel cook top is not necessarily the best cooking stove out there, but it's also a heater, has great fuel economy and has the ability to rid the cabin of moisture.

Like stated earlier, you must run it ; can't let it set for months. I go out and start mine up periodically throughout the winter.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.