Thread: Chugach Mountains Bull Moose Oct. 4 2015

Default Chugach Mountains Bull Moose Oct. 4 2015

Found this bull the 4th of October in the Chugach Mtns behind Anchorage.
    I'm kind of tired of killing moose and would rather take photo's of them now so this was a good day.
    Not a bad bull for being so close to town. A good one to play guess the spread with.

And a video of some other photos of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12iLfiKVRd4

but how will we know the correct answer if you didnt put a tape on him? lol ill throw my hat into the ring with 62"
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Nice looking bull!!!! I am not a good judge of spreads, but I would say that he is well over 50" and could be pushing 60" without too much trouble!
    Thanks for sharing

That's a beauty of a bull. Didn't see a good straight on view with pictures but he's definitely around 60. Lots of nice points that's for sure. Power line pass area?

Those are some really nice pics..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Awesome photo! Now that I am back in Fairbanks, I really think they should open some sort of hunt in Anchorage similar to the Fairbanks Management Area. Here is a photo from my backyard at my old house in Anchorage way up above Potter Marsh. Some big moose up in the front range!

Quote Originally Posted by fatbacks View Post
    Awesome photo! Now that I am back in Fairbanks, I really think they should open some sort of hunt in Anchorage similar to the Fairbanks Management Area. Here is a photo from my backyard at my old house in Anchorage way up above Potter Marsh. Some big moose up in the front range!

There are already a number of hunts in the area. There are both archery and muzzleloader hunts on JBER, including areas just east of Muldoon Road and north of Stuckagain Heights. There is another hunt up in the Chugach (Powerline Pass area). There have been discussions and a recent proposal that had some good support going to open a hunt in Kincaid Park for a small number of moose.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There are already a number of hunts in the area. There are both archery and muzzleloader hunts on JBER, including areas just east of Muldoon Road and north of Stuckagain Heights. There is another hunt up in the Chugach (Powerline Pass area). There have been discussions and a recent proposal that had some good support going to open a hunt in Kincaid Park for a small number of moose.

IMO there are not enough permits for these City moose.

Yes that's up around the Powerline Pass area. Had never been up in there and decided to go look around.
    And yup no tape measure results so that's why he's a good bull to just guess on. My own guess is somewhere around 59-60'' or so.
    Nice photo of the backyard velvet bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    IMO there are not enough permits for these City moose.
    I agree. I was a big supporter of the Kincaid proposal even though I felt it should have been crafted a bit differently than it was. It had the right ultimate goal. It amazes me how many people complain about how many moose get hit on the roads or pose a danger to kids at bus stops or whatever yet fight tooth and nail against any proposal to manage the population in a reasonable way. I think a lot of people can't distinguish between a hunting season that would just keep the population at a certain level and wiping them out completely.

Same area. Just barely too dark but saw some action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

That's why I originally posted. Lived in Anchorage for a few years before heading back to Fairbanks. After seeing the Fairbanks Management Area hunt this year, I would be a huge advocate for something similar down south. Would be a huge responsibility for the hunters to hunt in a way that keeps everyone happy. In Fairbanks you inevitably get the moose running around town with an arrow in its face and it pisses a lot of people off and ultimately doesn't do us bow hunters any favors.

[QUOTE=anchskier;1506599] It amazes me how many people complain about how many moose get hit on the roads or pose a danger to kids at bus stops or whatever yet fight tooth and nail against any proposal to manage the population in a reasonable way. QUOTE]

When it comes right down to it, there are a lot of animal "lovers" in the world. "They" think that because we hunt them that we don't love them like they do, which, as we know, can't be any further from the truth. With a lot of those folks, they love them UNTIL something bad happens to themselves, friends, or family, BECAUSE of those animals that they love so much. And when that happens all bets are off.......KILL EM' ALL...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post

Same area. Just barely too dark but saw some action

that is a cool vid, eerie in the dark like that.

Pretty bull - like the long points. Thanks for sharing the pics.

My guess is.... Legal. And that's ALL I really care about!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."