Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this guy be legal as a spike/fork bull?

Default Would this guy be legal as a spike/fork bull?

Saw this bull in my yard today, wondering if he'd be considered legal? Any and all opinions welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it broken off or grew as is?
    If broken I believe its illegal or people could cheat and break antlers in the field tomake it a spike.
    If it is au natural, its a legal shooter in my opinion.
    Bk

I think as long as you or another human didn't break it it would be legal. I've know people that have shot big bulls for spikes and one for a fork where it was snapped off right above the two browtines it had. I believe both these moose were shown to f&g also and they agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Is it broken off or grew as is?
    If broken I believe its illegal or people could cheat and break antlers in the field tomake it a spike.
    If it is au natural, its a legal shooter in my opinion.
    Bk
    There are only a couple small units where a broken antler would be illegal, all others do not care whether it is broken or not.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There are only a couple small units where a broken antler would be illegal, all others do not care whether it is broken or not.
    Good to go then, learned something today!
    Bk

The regs say "A damaged, broken or altered antler is not considered a spike-fork antler in Units 1B, that portion of 1C south of Point Hobart, including all Port Houghton drainages, and 3". It's a weird distinction. But, if they specifically say it is not considered a spike-fork in those specific units, language rules would lead me to assume then that it is a legal spike-fork in other units.

*Note: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Interesting rack; does the other side have two brow tines or three?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    Interesting rack; does the other side have two brow tines or three?
    I would count that as 2 browtines on the moose's left side. Those two are before the first large bay. I tend to try to stay on the conservative side when counting points or estimating size, so would rather pass on a 3 browtine moose thinking it only had 2 than take a chance on a 2 browtine moose thinking that it had 3.

Spike on the right. Two brow tines and a mid-bay tine on the left.

He will probably be a shooter next year as well

Looks like just two. and it seems to be a natural growth, probably damaged while it was in velvet. Wonder if he spends a lot of time walking in circles- I'm gonna call him "Lefty".

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Looks like just two. and it seems to be a natural growth, probably damaged while it was in velvet. Wonder if he spends a lot of time walking in circles- I'm gonna call him "Lefty".

I'd be calling him "Dinner"
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I'd be calling him "Dinner"
    Yup....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

legal to shoot....but I would consider him a fork. That one maybe consider a point. JK ........Shooter for sure.

As for the left antler. Two brow tines. That 3rd long one is in no mans land and will get you busted every time.

To me the question is are you looking to respect the intent of the spike fork rule, or are you looking for a reason to circumvent it? Certainly the argument may be made that by the letter of the law he is legal, but the intent of the law is to protect bulls of this age class. I suppose it might be one of those darn "personal ethics" dilemmas.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ANCguy View Post
    Saw this bull in my yard today, wondering if he'd be considered legal? Any and all opinions welcomed.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    To me the question is are you looking to respect the intent of the spike fork rule, or are you looking for a reason to circumvent it? Certainly the argument may be made that by the letter of the law he is legal, but the intent of the law is to protect bulls of this age class. I suppose it might be one of those darn "personal ethics" dilemmas.
    Very interesting question and I think Homerdave brings up a really good point. I think you would have a leg to stand on, but my gut tells me not to shoot. If it were me I think I would err on the side of caution and let him pass. Unless I had a fish and game biologist standing right beside me guaranteeing me that I was in the clear. Then I might pull the trigger.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to homerdave again."
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Hah!! To answer your question..... "Neither"!! I'm trying to put meat in the freezer. And by now, that dude would be frozen solid!
    Its hard enough 'following' the laws and rules, now you want us to focus on the rule makers "intent"? LMAO.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Its hard enough 'following' the laws and rules, now you want us to focus on the rule makers "intent"? LMAO.
    Seems caring about the intent of societie's rules goes hand in hand with being interested in being an engaged member of said society. Tho, some certainly will never be interested in such, and never look beyond their own self interests. So it goes, and thus the reason we became a nation of laws in the first place. Example: if everyone recognized that protecting a given age class of moose was a benefit to the greater whole in the long run, and was willing to abide by such understanding, we wouldn't need a law preventing those who don't care from killing said animals.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Hah!! To answer your question..... "Neither"!! I'm trying to put meat in the freezer. And by now, that dude would be frozen solid!
    The fact that your response may reflect the outlook of a significant number of "hunters" makes me sad.
    Great example.👎
    I've never felt the "laws and rules" were that hard to "follow", especially when they are established to protect a resource that belongs to all of us.
    And our kids...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Seems caring about the intent of societie's rules goes hand in hand with being interested in being an engaged member of said society. Tho, some certainly will never be interested in such, and never look beyond their own self interests. So it goes, and thus the reason we became a nation of laws in the first place. Example: if everyone recognized that protecting a given age class of moose was a benefit to the greater whole in the long run, and was willing to abide by such understanding, we wouldn't need a law preventing those who don't care from killing said animals.
    I was going to stay out of this but, as a guy in the other thread said that some people don't speak the same for all, " and bring your money to town" That burns my ass but theres not a whole lot I can do about it when there are 90% on here that think its O.K. to twist the rules and not think twice about the resorces that we have and the rules that are in place. I say " Twist " because that is what you are doing. I care about my backyard, even if you don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast