Thread: First 4-stroke sled: Opinions wanted

Default First 4-stroke sled: Opinions wanted

As my kids get older and are starting to ride their own sleds I'm looking to get a trail, light utility sled. My modded M1000 does not suit this purpose very well at all. I'm looking for a used sled that will tow a light load to the cabin, not mind going 20mph down the trail and still be able to have a little fun. No plans on selling the mountain sled at this time.

I'm looking at a Bearcat 660 widetrack and some Yamaha models. Would a Yamaha Nytro be up to these tasks, out should I go full utility with the Bearcat? Only interested in 4-strokes at this time.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Even though I despise 4 strokes unless its only hauling freight, Id recommend checking out the wide track skidoo expeditions. Lighter, go faster, better suspension, 2 speed gear box(no chain). And haul a good load.

Got a great day deal on a used Yamaha Apex. It had a tow hitch and huge tunnel bag already installed. Should be reliable to run back and forth to our cabin and have plenty of fun for playing in the deep stuff.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

It's all fun until you get a 4 stroke stuck

That is why I have one of the Warn snow winches along on my machine!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    It's all fun until you get a 4 stroke stuck

A wide track Expedition what ever engine you like. It's the family mans renegade. It's a do it all sled. Haul what you want, lots of seat for the family, good windshield to protect the kiddies if the young enough to be sitting in front of you and can cruse the trails at a good clip and nice ride. Can't go wrong with the 660 bearcat either just missing a low gear if you ever think you'll need that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fishhook57 View Post
    Even though I despise 4 strokes unless its only hauling freight, Id recommend checking out the wide track skidoo expeditions. Lighter, go faster, better suspension, 2 speed gear box(no chain). And haul a good load.
    Unless something has changed recently (like in the last couple of months)the bad thing with the 2 speed gear box is that there is no replaceable parts. Must change out the whole gear box......and they were pricey. Seems to had an upper bearing issue. Some get lucky and no issues, others have seen a gearbox a season.

I am trying to get one to tear apart to see if one can be rebuilt outside of the Doo parts supply lines. So if anyone has one that they are willing to give me for some research I will take it and post my findings. All the ones I know about have been done at the dealer and have yet to get one from them.

The only serious gearbox issues I have heard of are the pre rev series expeditions, and that was the upper end, due to people never changing the oil out and banging the gears really hard. On our 2011, and 2014 we have had no issues, other than a vibration during break in. The key is changing the oil when the book says so, and everybody I have heard that has issues is they never changed it during the break in period, or ever sometimes. I change mine at 250 miles, then 500, then 1000, then every 500 after that. Yeah the oil is expensive but a 2k gearbox is a lot more expensive. Parts are available through SISU themselves, the hardest part is needing a press with a ton of dies and such to use, and the tricky o rings. When they do grenade it takes the whole thing out anyways, its just like a throwing a rod in a motor.

I like my Yamaha and it pulls a pretty good load too.
    If I was doing a lot of hauling I would get a wide track 2 speed sled.
    The Skidoo ACE 600 motor sleds are the best cold starting 4 strokes on the market.
    My Yamaha 1000cc 4 stroke needs to be plugged in like my truck when it's below -25C or it may well not start.
    People I know with the Skidoo's haven't had issues even at -40 not plugged in.

i bought the Ski Doo Expedition 600 ace. It's a nice sled. It's got a 154" x 1.5" track. I pulled a trailer with a few days camping gear and had no problems. Getting used to the 4 stroke takes some getting used to. It's quiet, doesn't stink like my 2 stroke but it's light on horsepower. Maybe should have gone with the 900...