Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunter death

Default Sheep hunter death

I just read where a sheep bowhunter in the Chugach Mts died from a fall. Seems he was a very experienced hunter and a guide. Prayers to the family of Roy Roth. The mountains are a beautiful place to be but they can be unforgiving.

I just heard this also. I've known Roy for years. Outstanding guy and an outstanding outdoorsman. He lived to hunt and was a real legitimately good person--I just can't believe it! I am in shock. My condolences to his family. The hunting community certainly will miss him as well.

Man that sucks. I didn't know him personally. Read about him a bit and his mom made us breakfast one morning after a silver fishing trip at Deshka Landing. He was a tough man with a passion for hunting. My condolences to the family also.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks for posting that piece. Sorry to hear of his death. Prayers for his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

at least he had the fortune to go doing what he loved. prayers for his family
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    I just read where a sheep bowhunter in the Chugach Mts died from a fall. Seems he was a very experienced hunter and a guide. Prayers to the family of Roy Roth. The mountains are a beautiful place to be but they can be unforgiving.
    So sorry to hear this news. Do you have a link to his obituary? I knew Roy and his family. We used to attend the same church. Nice guy and heck of a hunter.

Horrible news to wake up to this morning. I never met Roy in person only traded messages with him. The hunting community has lost a great outdoor ambassador. Prayers for him and his family.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Condolences to Roy's family. Sorry to hear about this.

He sounds like one of those one in a thousand guys that you meet only a few of in a lifetime. The guys that make their own luck are always being positive role models for those around them just by being who they are. I've been lucky to have met and been inspired by a few of those guys in Alaska.

Dang it....great guy. Know his parents well. Sorry to hear of this, need to stop by.
    This is not the familys first rough time either, really sucks. Roths give back soooo much to the community.
    Bk

"...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

"Only the good die young".....all too often rings true.

So sorry to hear this....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am so very sorry to hear this. Dang. 😦Roy was a great guy and incredible bow hunter. I always enjoyed his hunting stories. You left too early Roy. God must have some great need for you in heaven. God bless to his family.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Dang it....great guy. Know his parents well. Sorry to hear of this, need to stop by.
    This is not the familys first rough time either, really sucks. Roths give back soooo much to the community.
    Bk
    They really do. It is a terrible loss for everyone, but especially his family.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    at least he had the fortune to go doing what he loved. prayers for his family
    Roger that. Too young. Too soon. Prayers to the family, I hope they take comfort in knowing he died doing what he loved.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Working at Palmer High School, I've had the absolute pleasure of getting to know the Roth's over the past several years. I wasn't able to get to know Roy as well as many, but my experiences were of a man that we all covet being- humble, positive, successful and balanced. He was always at school functions with a smile on his face and a great story to tell. He always had time to answer questions, and never was boastful, even though he had accomplished more as a bowhunter than most of us can even dream of. He was as unassuming as they get and word is that he was the toughest and most reliable hunting partner a person could have. His contributions to his community and his family are beyond words. Love your people, don't sweat the small stuff and live life to the fullest. I have no doubt that Roy did in his 49 years.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

I am very sorry to hear of this...my best to all his family and friends.

Very heart wrenching to hear this. Does anyone know if AMRG has been able to recover his remains yet?

Sponsor

They were able to get him out yesterday.

His service is at Palmer HS this Saturday (10th) at 11:00 AM for those who wish to attend...
    I got a feeling that its gonna be packed...
    Roy was a wonderful man and beast of a hunter...
    RIP Big Roy... You've been called home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast