Thread: 10 year old son's first king ever! Thanks to the Homer Elk's King Derby!

Default 10 year old son's first king ever! Thanks to the Homer Elk's King Derby!

Fished the Homer Elk's King Derby with my son. He had never caught a king ever. He definitely had the hot hands. Day one he kept two, releases two more. Dad manages a couple himself.

Day two was all Ryu. He is limited out with a few average size fish and dad manages a three pounder.

I really like the line counter reels when fishing with novices as it really helps to get the line and depth control down much easier.

He caught his fish in red label herring. I caught all my fish using the Silver Horde Coho Killer spoons.
    The video:
    https://youtu.be/kGZYFwCn9xQ

A few pics:

Day 1

Day 2

Two more pics:

Sweet! #itdoesntgetanybetterthanthat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ontherise View Post
    Sweet! #itdoesntgetanybetterthanthat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thx!

Here additional footage from the Elk's Derby.

https://youtu.be/scsFSMXOSp8

You two are having waaaaaay too much fun...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You two are having waaaaaay too much fun...!!!
    It is a blast! Its a good fishery for my kid. Not a fish every drop but enough fish and quality fish that he can stay excited about it.

Tried again Sunday and went 6 for 8, releasing two and keeping four with a proxy in under 4 hours. Nothing huge but still a blast! Some great eating fish!

https://youtu.be/GNAqmkBico8

Yes, that first fish(that you lost) was definitely a nice one. Just wanted to let you know that there will be a new tv show on the Discovery Channel called "Pacific Warriors" starting Oct 23. It's about ocean fishing from a kayak. Ad shows them in HI. for some pretty big fish.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Super cool! What a way to get you first king! I love how close your able to stay to the shore and still get into fish.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Super cool! What a way to get you first king! I love how close your able to stay to the shore and still get into fish.
    We typically fish in 40 to 80 ft of water about half way down but on this day, we managed a few fish in less than 10ft of water! Using braid and with so little line out, these fish just about rip your arms off if you are holding the rod. lol. Lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    We typically fish in 40 to 80 ft of water about half way down but on this day, we managed a few fish in less than 10ft of water! Using braid and with so little line out, these fish just about rip your arms off if you are holding the rod. lol. Lots of fun!
    Sounds like an absolute blast! Unbelievable that there is such quality king fishing in the winter so close in.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!