Thread: Russian River trout

Default Russian River trout

never fished the russian for trout but will be down this coming weekend and will have my five weight in case the reds are a no show...can anyone give me a heads up on what the trout in that river prefer? egg patterns or mostly the brown buggy stuff? any tid bits would be great! thanks
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I caught a few on flesh patterns, typically later, but probably getting close. Also on the eggsucking leeches, and even a few on caddis

they'll take flesh, eggs, and all the standard bead head nymphs (prince, p-tail, hare's ear....) try fishing on top (#10 stimulator), but if you don't get hit in the first 20-30 casts, then you're probably wasting your time up there and need to go back to nymphing. good luck
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I don't use anything but egg and flesh patterns on the Russian. I use beads later on, you can't fish those currently ("fly fishing only waters" until sometime in August).

Default I'll let you in on a RR secret

One day I was fishing for bows on the russian and just downstream there was another guy doing the same. I was catching fish but this other guy was just slaughtering them! I tried to fish closer to him to get a look at what he was fishing (of, course I couldn't just ask him in fear of losing my pride). It looked like a little 1/2" to 1" crescent moon and it was white. A couple weeks later I was back fishing in the same area and I saw one of these "moons" in a pool close by. I picked it up and sure enough it was exactally what this guy was useing. Turns out it was a dead smolt/fry pattern. What happens is when these smolt patterns die, they go belly up and turn white. Then they float/flow down stream and the bows go crazy! It can easily double your productivity. It's a little early to be fishing egg patterns right now and there is some flesh in the river from fish cleaning but not yet at it's full potential.
    However, there is a catch. You can not buy these things anywhere. I've looked. You have to make them. You can paint a smolt/fry pattern, or be creative and tie your own.
    Oh, one more catch. Don't tell anyone about this.

KUB_AIR

lol thanks KUB, it'll be our little secret....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have caught many many bows on the bead headed princess nymph. I used it last weekend and over about 5 hours on the russian caught around 9 fish from 12 to 18 inches
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight