Thread: Pondering a propane tent stove

Default Pondering a propane tent stove

I'm thinking out loud here, and would appreciate some feedback on where my brain is going. I've got this cheap old cast iron propane burner, and am contemplating what would be required to incorporate it as a propane stove for hot tenting. I'm picturing this burner in a small steel box, ideally an ammo box. 3" hole out the top for a vent pipe. Here's a pic from last year when I tried to sell it on Craigslist.

The standard against which to compare is the Nuway propane stove. My burner appears to be the same design as a 15,000 BTU burner available from Sports Authority, so the Nuway model to compare to is the 3000, which has a 16,000 burner. That retails for $149.95 plus shipping, so if I can't make my own for less than that then I don't think I'll bother.

There's a replacement gas valve on Amazon designed for gas log fireplaces (link here). If I can scrounge up miscellaneous mounting hardware I think I can make this work. There would be a standing pilot light that would be turned on when the stove is set up in the tent. The ignitor is a nice touch for that. When heat is desired the valve is opened and the propane ignites.

As this will be a vented stove I don't see a need for an oxygen detection sensor. The control valve will close if the pilot flame is extinguished. The only other safety issue I can contemplate would be to disable if tipped over like a Mr. Heater does. Considering that there will be a stove pipe "securing" the stove from tipping, I am inclined to not include that as a must-have feature. My only other thoughts right now are alternative enclosures if this proves too big for an ammo box. I guess I should mention that I will of course remove the burner from the stand it is currently on.

This is still just a concept right now. I welcome suggestions, barbs, and sundry smart-alec comments for or against making this real.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    ...I don't see a need for an oxygen detection sensor.
    Don't fear the oxygen; it's the carbon monoxide that's gonna get ya.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This would be along the Nuway design,, vented would deal with the combustion just make sure to have air flow.

Not mine....Old propane tank, bottom open for venting. Add your burner and a stack and there ya go.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

@iofthetaiga
    Proper construction and ventilation should ensure there are no long sleeps. That and a CO monitor.

@stid2677
    That has a certain git-r-done charm to it. Hopefully I can come up with something a little more compact, if not lighter too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    @iofthetaiga
    Proper construction and ventilation should ensure there are no long sleeps. That and a CO monitor.

@stid2677
    That has a certain git-r-done charm to it. Hopefully I can come up with something a little more compact, if not lighter too.
    There are several propane stoves on the market that incorporate oxygen sensors. The later shut the stove off when the oxygen content in the tent drops to an unsafe level. The price range is from perhaps $60.00 to $150.00 depending on how many BTUs you want. For a small 8'x10' wall tent a 3,000 BTU stove is plenty with ambient temperature of perhaps 25 degrees outside, as long as you use it to warm the tent slightly before you get in the sleeping bag, and then before you get out of the bag in the morning.

Colder than that, moisture in the tent becomes an issue when using propane. That's when a small wood stove becomes a better option.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...oxygen+sensors

Search "vent free propane heaters"
    http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Prop...9%3AMr.+Heater

That said, this moose season it was raining or snowing most days where I hunted at, and a small propane stove worked well to dry the tent inside, since the air outside the tent was quite moist