Thread: group flying

Default group flying

So, I am still kinda new to the flying crowd. I started in June, bought a straight tail 172. working on my PPL currently. I have 36 hours so far. I am wanting to know how everyone goes about flying in groups. I am wanting to see more locations and to be able to fly with other people and more planes.

[QUOTE=Rjusten;1506088]So, I am still kinda new to the flying crowd. I started in June, bought a straight tail 172. working on my PPL currently. I have 36 hours so far. I am wanting to know how everyone goes about flying in groups. I am wanting to see more locations and to be able to fly with other people and more planes.[/QUOT

I'm not a great supporter of "group flying" but I'm not knocking it, either. I do find it a bit too distracting to benefit much from it. As a social event, it's great.

IMO, the very best way to see more locations is to get your hands on a current ANCHORAGE SECTIONAL and pick out a few places that you might find interesting or educational. That will add experience more quickly than any other method, I believe. But, whatever you decide, stick with it. You'll be flying in the world's most exciting place! GOOD LUCK with it.

Make sure to pick the biggest chicken to be the group leader.
    Louis Knapp

Flying with one other airplane is the extent of my comfort zone. Going somewhere that is a common destination is one thing, but if you are traveling as a group in the air, you should consider whether you and all the other airplanes have had formation training, and whether there is a formation flight briefing...

My two cents. Common destination is not the same as 'group flying' to me. And I would not personally recommend 'group flying', but instead recommend you take Grizzly's suggestion. Go new places. Plan the flights. Enjoy.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I do a lot of group flying anywhere from 2-12 planes. This is not close formation stuff just sort of loose gaggle. Lots of things to think about even without formation flying. Metal stuff tends to fly faster than the fabric birds so put them out front or have them leave latter than you and play catch up. Pick a leader and follow him/her. Leader picks course and speed. If you are following do it at 4 or 8 O'clock so they can look back and see you. Don't get too far apart(1-2 miles), you will spend too much time trying to spot the leader or other planes. If you have a lot of planes fly in groups of 3-4 similar planes. Spread out before you reach your destination so you are not running over each other in pattern.
    If we flew together I would have you take lead. That way all you have to do is go from point A to point B, I would worry about proper distance, position, and airspeed. It is a lot harder to do for a new pilot. Check with you CFI before you start going to too many new places.
    As the others have said flying with near other aircraft is a lot harder than you might think and limits what you can do during the flight. I understand having other aircraft/pilots along for a flight is a lot of fun and feels safer for a new pilot. But it adds to the workload. This time of year flying slows down but someone is usually out running around on the weekends. Pick a spot and make a post to see if anyone wants to follow you and give hints along the way or fly with you in the right seat. Don't discount hanger flying!! LOTS to learn sitting next to a plane with a beer. Next spring there is a fly in every weekend, plan ahead and you will have a great time. Look out for fresh snow on runways this time of year on wheels it is not that hard to flip a plane even a trike.
    DENNY