Thread: Cut, crown, and threadding a barrel in Fairbanks

Default Cut, crown, and threadding a barrel in Fairbanks

I just received a Ruger American 308 and was looking to have the barrel cut from 22" down to 18 inches. With that, I was also looking to have it re-crowned and threaded. I will keep a thread protector on it until my kids are old enough to go big game hunting with me.

Does anyone in Fairbanks do this kind of work, or will I have to go south? I hate sending guns or parts off, so I was hoping there was someone local. If so, what would the cost be?

Thanks for all the help in advance,
    Dan

gunbugs, always happy with his work for last 35 years about.

Awesome, I've read a whole bunch of reviews, and all were singing his praises, however, none addressed cutting, crowning, and threading a barrel. I know a lathe is a spendy tool so not all gunsmiths do that work. Curious or he does precision threading for a can and what the cost is. Hopefully gunbugs will chime in.

Thanks for the reply,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDan View Post
    Awesome, I've read a whole bunch of reviews, and all were singing his praises, however, none addressed cutting, crowning, and threading a barrel. I know a lathe is a spendy tool so not all gunsmiths do that work. Curious or he does precision threading for a can and what the cost is. Hopefully gunbugs will chime in.

Thanks for the reply,
    Dan
    gunbugs is first rate. He's shortened and recrowned rifles for me and I had him rebarrel another. He has done other work as well and I've nothing but praise for him. You'll not be disappointed.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Swing by after 2 in the afternoon and we can discuss the job. 687-8500.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Gunbugs,

Sounds great. I will have to call prior to stopping by, as my work schedule is hectic and unpredictable. I appreciate your response!

Your gun will be in good hands Dan. Gunbugs has done work for me and it was first rate.

Thanks,

I talked to gunbugs a couple weeks ago. I am definitely going to give him my business, unfortunately, I am in the process of recovering funds from a head gasket replacement. Luckily I was able to do the work myself, so the cost was cut in half after all the tools (wife let me buy a cherry picker) and parts since I did it myself, so the recovery time shouldnt be too bad.

Dan