Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 trigger / pin / safety ?

Default Rem 700 trigger / pin / safety ?

I was cycling the bolt tonight & after a dry fire something was sticking. If I leave the safety off & fire then cycle the bolt it wouldn't cock the pin back & allow it to fire again. It would only do so if after firing putting the safety back on then cycling the bolt. Then a few times when I moved the safety off it automatically fired just by moving the safety forward. I kept cycling it & trying different combinations & finally it seems to be back to normal but now I am a little uneasy about it. Not sure where to start in hopes to make sure this doesn't continue.

Does it have a stock factory trigger........or an after market trigger....???

Take it to a good smith, he can take trigger apart if he believes it needs cleaning and reset it to whatever pull you like. Times clearance between stock and trigger can be the cause as well. I "normally" swap out the stock trigger to a Jewel.

Mine was doing the same. There is a recall on those also. I would not trust it, my gun misfired this spring when it was in the hands of a 12 year old. Have it looked at and fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Mine was doing the same. There is a recall on those also. I would not trust it, my gun misfired this spring when it was in the hands of a 12 year old. Have it looked at and fixed.
    This. Google it, there is a design flaw in the trigger mecanisms on some model 700s that causes them to fire when flipping the safety off. Its been the cause of several deaths.

It has a stock trigger, took it in a couple years ago & had it set lighter, never had any problems until tonight.

It is dirty/overlubed/misadjusted. If you press forward on the trigger it will function, however, it is set too light to overcome the old lube, dirt and/or solvent inside the housing. Plus, the sear engagement has probably been adjusted to an insufficient setting. Any of these issues, or any combination can cause the failure you describe. It should be completely disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and readjusted to proper engagement.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    This. Google it, there is a design flaw in the trigger mecanisms on some model 700s that causes them to fire when flipping the safety off. Its been the cause of several deaths.
    Actually, the cause of the deaths was the the violation of the most basic safety rule. "Don't point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy".
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

My best guess is that it is set to light.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    It has a stock trigger, took it in a couple years ago & had it set lighter, never had any problems until tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Actually, the cause of the deaths was the the violation of the most basic safety rule. "Don't point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy".
    True but there is a known issue with certain model 700s. Its been known about for years.

I watched a show on this a few years back. They interviewed the trigger mechanism inventor and he approach Remington about the flaw and they made the decision not to fix it based on cost. If I remember right it was pennies to fix, but that compounded to millions so it was swept under the rug.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/05/remin...-triggers.html

Not saying this is the issue in this case but I also like to alert people to this issue. If they choose to still use the gun that's their choice.

Anything mechanical CAN & Will malfunction-

Now throw a human into the equation.

Hell,some can screw up an anvil with a feather duster!

Clean the trigger mechanism thoroughly w/ lighter/Coleman fuel.

Have the trigger group adjusted by a professional(not Gary Junk @ Arctic GunWorks,I said a professional not a gun plumber).

Back in late 70s I was downloading Rem 700 308 and it went off when I moved safety to 'fire'. Scared crap out of me and my brother. Luckily I did observe proper safety procedures. I have since had 3 guns fixed under the safety recall.

I have 5 700 Remingtons in different calibers and have been shooting then for 30 + years and never had a problem with them. All of them have had the trigger adjusted to around three pounds by somebody that knows what they are doing and have worked well without any problems. These triggers must be adjusted right and when they are I feel they are as safe as any other rifle trigger on the market.

Could anyone recommend a specific person/shop for work on a trigger such as this? I am having a similar issue. I've never had any work done in a shop, so don't have any personal experience to draw from in choosing where to go. Thanks.

Will you come to the valley to have it worked on?
    I know a great gunsmith out here.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Will you come to the valley to have it worked on?
    I know a great gunsmith out here.
    Bk
    I wouldn't rule it out. I am out there from time to time, so if it fit in the schedule I may do that. Feel free to PM me with the contact information. Always looking to build a list of reliable people/companies to work with even if I don't end up using them this time around. I plan to live a good number of years, so will likely need similar services down the line at some point.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayz12 View Post
    True but there is a known issue with certain model 700s. Its been known about for years.

I watched a show on this a few years back. They interviewed the trigger mechanism inventor and he approach Remington about the flaw and they made the decision not to fix it based on cost. If I remember right it was pennies to fix, but that compounded to millions so it was swept under the rug.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/05/remin...-triggers.html

Not saying this is the issue in this case but I also like to alert people to this issue. If they choose to still use the gun that's their choice.
    All kinds of triggers and safeties fail. I don't see the Rem trigger as a "Design Flaw". (Even if the problems could be lessened, by changing the design.)

I think what we have or had, brought to national attention, is only part of an Anti-Gun smear campaign.

Those 700s have been immensely popular and remain so.

I have 2, older 700s with the original trigger. I've had both of them cleaned an adjusted to 3.5 pounds, and I don't over lube them.

I seldom even use a Safety, since I don't carry with a round in the chamber. When it gets to the point where I would put on the safety, I take the round out.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Years ago when I was in a meeting with a few other guys that carried guns for a living and were avid hunters the Remington 700 trigger came up. All of these guys had lots of gun training and 3 of the 9 had a story about their personal Rem. 700 firing when the safety was moved into the fire position and all 3 claimed to have not touched the trigger or had the trigger worked on. My neighbor claimed the same thing when he blew a hole from his Rem. Mod. 721 through his van and living room wall from a 30-06. I have personally had 2 other guys tell me of similar incidents they experienced. I can't remember all the similar stories I have read about the Remington triggers and Remington leads the pack in law suits and trigger design issues.

Any time we mention a problem with some ones "old Betsy" all kinds of emotions get stirred up and most go for a life time with out an issue, but does that mean there ain't an issue and any one that had an issue is incompetent or the the trigger was neglected? This issue is compounded by the fact that many of our armed forces snipers use some form of a Mod. 700 tuned by a military armorer and the gun works. Why the heck should any one have to replace the trigger on the nations most popular big game hunting rifle, why all the recalls and why all the claimed issues?

I will stick with the simple and reliable old style Mod. 70 trigger and even it can have a problem if some one messes it up when adjusting it. But, it certainly isn't prone to trapping crud like enclosed trigger housings are. If you don't believe me look at a schematic of the old Mod. 70 trigger and a Rem. 700 trigger. I know triggers can be neglected through poor adjustments and not being cleaned. But, why knowingly use a trigger that is prone to that issue? Any trigger mechanism that has tiny springs and screws sitting in an enclosed housing that you cant see inside of and allows dirt, grease, crud etc. to hang around is a recipe for disaster.

There is a reason the old Mauser and Springfield battle rifles had the trigger design they had, it worked in the brutal trench warfare conditions.

If I was using a Mod. 700 I would never use the safety. Any way, the best to all of you and safe hunting and shooting.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've read a lot of stuff about the Remington Trigger thing, and the claims of failure, etc.

I wonder why one would have their chamber loaded when it is handed around, stowed, in a boat, airplane, etc.

Safeties, get bumped off, and trigger fingers automatically go into the trigger guards. Stuff happens. "The gun went off." "Well, I had the safety ON." "It's not my fault" etc. etc. Why not ask, "Why were you pointing it at your grandson, you ole goat."

As I understand it, the Rem. 700 issue, or claim, is specific. The chamber has a loaded round, the gun is cocked, and the safety is taken off, at which time the gun fires.

If this happens, it is usually attributed to a dirty trigger box, from being over-lubed, maybe with something like WD40. Also, the trigger could be adjusted too lightly.

The fixes are to keep the trigger clean, and adjusted, properly and not too light. There are design modifications that are said to work. And various theories as to why. The trigger can be replaced with an after market one like the Timney.

I've not had an issue with the Safety on my 700s and I'm told the trigger is a very good one. I've adjusted the tension on both of them in the past, but not the other adjustments. After hearing of the Specific problem or claim of one, I had them both cleaned and adjusted, by a competent gunsmith.

If that specific problem, or another occurred, no-one would be killed or injured, because they would not be pointed in a dangerous direction, when I take the safety off. And, I wouldn't trust anyone else to handle my gun, including my wife, kids or grandkids.

The bolt is locked on My older 700s when the safety is on. Newer ones are not, and you can unload the chamber without taking the safety off. .They've been that way for years.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a very early 700v in 223 and it fired when the safety was let off after several years of not cleaning it. I hosed it out with brake kleen and high pressure air doing nothing else and it's never done it again. It's about 40years old now and the trigger has never been adjusted. Speaking of which, it's time to clean it again. A simple clean out and it will not malfunction. Let it build up crud and it probably will. Point it at someone and you need it shoved where the sun don't shine. If I were you I would not disassemble it as they are a bit tricky to put back together and adjust. Take it to a pro or hose it down with brake kleen and high pressure air. Clean it or have it cleaned or it probably will happen again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast