Thread: Float for a sheep 2016

Default Float for a sheep 2016

Hello I am fairly new to Alaska and very new to the forum. I am looking for some info on doing a self guided float sheep hunt. I have my own raft pristine ventures pioneer xtream. Where? When? Any thoughts would be helpful thank you in advance!

One thing you'll quickly learn about sheep hunters is that they're a tight-lipped group when it comes to the "where". Techniques, gear, and other such advice is gladly shared, but locations can be hard to come by...and for good reason. There is still good sheep hunting to be had in Alaska, but sharing such information publicly on the internet is a sure-fire way to find other people there next year. You might get some location help via private message, but even then, don't expect much in the way of specifics. For area help, you'll likely get responses if you come up with some ideas first and then run them by folks for feedback.

Another thought - float hunting for sheep can be a tough gig. It can and has been done, but most sheep habitat is a good ways from floatable rivers. Some will use rafts to access base camp, but expect to spike out from a floatable river system quite a distance.

Are you planning/willing to fly in first, or are you hoping to do this off the road system? That could be an important consideration in coming up with a plan.

First off thank you brian. Yes fly in. I've heard talk of some places from the road but crowded.

Brian nailed it.

Most places that can be accessed from the road system will have been "discovered". I say "most", because it all depends on how far you are willing to walk. A couple of friends of mine, Scott Luber and Steve Bethune, have successfully harvested rams from all seven mountain ranges in Alaska on foot, from the road system. But some of those hunts involved very long overland treks that most hunters are not willing to do. You can read about these guys in a fairly recent forum post at this link: <http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-2-Scott-Luber>. They have also produced a series of instructional videos designed to help folks like you and you can find those at their website, Proving Trail Adventures <http://www.provingtrailadventures.com>. I have known these two men many years (Scott conducted my daughter's wedding a while back), and they are top-notch sportsmen.

That said, there are some situations where you could hike in and float out, but those opportunities are limited. You might consider an air drop of the boat, once you descend the drainage to a place where you have enough water to float. The main advantage of doing it with the boat is that you don't have to carry the sheep on your back. But honestly, having carried a few of them myself over the years, I would rather pack a sheep out of the mountains than to try to line a meat-laden boat down a creek. If you have enough water to float, that's one thing. But skipping along on the rocks while you try to control a boat on a string is a lot of work. Sometimes you just have to gut it out and pack the thing to the road anyway. Whatever rivers you are considering will all be different, so you will have to weigh your options once you narrow your choices.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 10-04-2015 at 21:54.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thank you Michael!