Thread: question

Default question

If you met a fellow hunter who shot an animal and you both found it wounded and bedded, then you went on your way and continued to hunt to only later come back and see the animal again but now its standing and started to walk away. Would you shoot it? the other hunter isn't around. I think I should of put it out of misery but didn't want the guy to think badly of me. Darkness fell and the other guy didn't show I am sure he will be there in the morning. The guy said he was coming back and wanted the animal to bleed out, but when I saw it was up and didn't look like it was bleeding. the wound was high behind shoulder right below the hump, the guy said it didn't pass through. I though about shooting not to steal the animal but I was going to wait for him and explain why I did it. but I didn't and I think I screwed up....

The other guy is totally unethical to leave a wounded animal to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    If you met a fellow hunter who shot an animal and you both found it wounded and bedded, then you went on your way and continued to hunt to only later come back and see the animal again but now its standing and started to walk away. Would you shoot it? the other hunter isn't around. I think I should of put it out of misery but didn't want the guy to think badly of me. Darkness fell and the other guy didn't show I am sure he will be there in the morning. The guy said he was coming back and wanted the animal to bleed out, but when I saw it was up and didn't look like it was bleeding. the wound was high behind shoulder right below the hump, the guy said it didn't pass through. I though about shooting not to steal the animal but I was going to wait for him and explain why I did it. but I didn't and I think I screwed up....
    chugachjet is right. It doesn't seem the wound hit anything vital, but for the hunter to have walked away from a wounded animal is a really stupid thing to do. You should have killed the animal, cleaned it out, and packed it away. The claim that the hunter was waiting for it to bleed out shows an ignorance and complete disdain quite beyond cruel. The hunter's explanation sounds as though he was simply disappointed with the horns and was just looking for a bigger set. If you had his name, you should probably have turned him in. Leaving that animal may even have been wanton waste . . . . . Since he didn't return, that seems obvious.

The question that jumps out at me is why didn't he put a second arrow in? If it is down, but very much alive, I would try to find a way to get a second arrow in. If the other guy couldn't do it, I think I might offer if I felt I could do it without making him run. Knowing that the first arrow was a non lethal shot, I think I would have dropped it on the spot as the other guy left. Any idea if he even went back the next day? If so, sounds like he would still not be able to harvest the bull.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

He did harvest the animal the next day. It was early afternoon when it expired.

As far as I'm concerned, you should have put it out of it's misery asap....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    The question that jumps out at me is why didn't he put a second arrow in? If it is down, but very much alive, I would try to find a way to get a second arrow in. If the other guy couldn't do it, I think I might offer if I felt I could do it without making him run. Knowing that the first arrow was a non lethal shot, I think I would have dropped it on the spot as the other guy left. Any idea if he even went back the next day? If so, sounds like he would still not be able to harvest the bull.
    On my hunt this year. I had a clean pass thru just above the heart. The moose walked about 50 yards and layed down. We stalked up to about 10 yards from him he tried to get up and I shot him again and backed out. Results dead moose and meat in the freezer!

He isn't there. I'm sticking it. It would then be mine. If he was there and elected not to finish it off, I'm sticking it and it's mine.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    The other guy is totally unethical to leave a wounded animal to suffer.
    What was so unethical? The guy made a Questionable shot, he backed out tell morning, went in to retrieve his moose the next day. Sounds like an experienced bow hunter to me.

He harvested the animal the next day but me personally would of tried to put another arrow in her. She was right next to a road. I would of definately came back at day break the next day and seeing her alive i would of put 1 more into her. Anyhow the animal was harvested. congrats to that hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    He did harvest the animal the next day. It was early afternoon when it expired.
    What does this mean? Are you saying it eventually bled to death so you finally butchered it? I have been involved in a somewhat same scenario and when the other party left I had no qualms about doing what to me was the ethical thing by dispatching the animal, harvesting all the meat, and punching my harvest ticket. It didn't matter to me that it ended my season. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but to me there would have been no question.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    What does this mean? Are you saying it eventually bled to death so you finally butchered it? I have been involved in a somewhat same scenario and when the other party left I had no qualms about doing what to me was the ethical thing by dispatching the animal, harvesting all the meat, and punching my harvest ticket. It didn't matter to me that it ended my season. Everyone has to decide for themselves, but to me there would have been no question.
    It means the animal finally died. I did not shoot it. I dont think I made the best choice, looking back and if this situation ever happens again I would choose a different course of action.

I guess if you learned than it is not a bad thing. Sorry anyone has to face this, but it happens. The important thing is you were not afraid to seek other's opinions and now you have knowledge ;-)

If I arrowed an animal and had it in view and bedded down, I'd slip another arrow in there asap.

The hunter that wounded the animal should have tried to finish it off. But, I think you did well to leave it be.